Adding Family out-of-state

Tutor

Adding Family out-of-state

[ Edited ]

My daughter has an AT&T family plan for her smartphone. She lives in NYC,NY and wants to add me to that plan. I also need to purchase a new Android smartphone. If she gives me her account info, pw and such, can I make this adjustment in my state? Also, will making this change allow me to buy my new phone at the discounted rate?How do we make this work while living in separate states? Thanks,  DA10

Message 1 of 8 (2,573 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Adding Family out-of-state

With AT&T, you cannot live in different areas and be on a family plan. The phone numbers have to be from the same rate area. You will have to change your phone number to one from her rate area to be on a family plan with her.
If she does add you to her family plan, you can only get a phone at a discounted rate if you are already upgrade eligible on your current account. If you don't have an AT&T account, then you can get a phone at a discounted rate.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (2,557 Views)
Tutor

Thanks. Since she was able to keep her number (from my state) when establishing her AT&T account, my number (same area code) could possibly be kept. Right? Moving from Boost to AT&T should also allow me to get the phone discount also. Again, right?

Message 3 of 8 (2,535 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Boost is a different company, so there is no way to answer that question. There is a Boost Forum, that you can ask regarding that service.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"
Accepted by topic author dca10
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Gregzoll, I think the OP currently has Boost and is wanting to join his daughter and switch to AT&T, so this is the appropriate forum.

DCA10, yes, if your line is new to AT&T, you would qualify for a new customer discount.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8 (2,496 Views)
Tutor

Thanks so muck, kdfederer, for taking the time to help me! DA10
Message 6 of 8 (2,461 Views)
Tutor

Thanks,Gregzoll, for your help! DA10
Message 7 of 8 (2,461 Views)
Tutor

Bingo! Kudos for completing my query quest!
Message 8 of 8 (2,455 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.