Need help understanding your bill?
Sbguy805's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, February 18th, 2018 4:03 AM

Account suspended for non payment, but I want to swtch providers.

I've been an ATT customer way before the iPhone came out 10yrs ago. Currently my account got suspended for non payment due reduced hours in my job since the wildfires started back in December, then we got the mudslice and I havent work much since then. I owed 2 months Jan & Feb which I made partial payment but my Service remainds suspended. I currently dont have a contract so I want to switch to another provider since there is no customer loyalty here. If I pay the Full Balance now would I still be charged the $40 reactivation fee? How can I terminate Service without getting charged?  

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

6 years ago

@Sbguy805: You will face credit check from other providers even if you pay off AT&T bill in full. Don’t know if providers will approve new account, unless do pre-paid.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

If you wish to save your number you will have to pay the reactivation fee.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I don’t mind getting a new number. I get a lot of telemarketing calls and txts even when it’s registered at national Do Not Call. It says if I pay my full balance they will add the reactivation fee on my next bill and I’m trying to avoid that.

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

You can ask at&t and see if they will waive it but it's up to them

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Prepaid might be an option. Just need to shop around and see who has the best deal. Someone told me FreedomPop offer Free monthly service with 200min, 500txts, which is probably less than what I use a month. For data I’m using WiFi at home and at work, so I won’t need much data. Don’t need to be paying ATT so much for the service and on top adding their fees. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Prepaid will be the only option.  Not paying your cellular, TV or internet is about the best way to screw up your credit.  Kiss any mortgage or rental good bye.  Your better off defaulting on a car or mortgage than these bills.  Landlords and banks figure if you won’t pay that, you’ll skip out on anything.  So no matter what you do, an effort to pay off is in your best interest.  

BTW. Changing numbers is not the answer to calls.  I’m still getting calls for “deadbeat Connie” for a number I added to my account almost 4 years ago.  (Obviously just the name I gave her because I’m still getting her collection calls.)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for I’m not worried any of that. Plus I never intended not to pay my bills, Ive been behind on my bills due to my low income. I do want to pay it full but if I do it now, it would automatically add $40 to unnecessary Expensive bill.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Sbguy805

Just a heads up.  They keep billing you for 60 days, after which they send to collection and close the account.  After that the collector may add their own fees.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.