For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Almobile's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, July 10th, 2018 3:13 AM

ATT changed data plan without my approval or consent!

ATT is sneaking in change customers' data plan without customer awareness, without my approval or my consent. 

It doesn't matter how much has increased even $1. My money and ATT does to every subscribers,,, then ATT is making more of 150M subscribers x $5? 

What is going on?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Pam018 wrote:

The issue is not that ATT changed their rates, it is that they changed the data plan itself without the user consent and thus the bill was higher. That does not seem legal.

@Pam018 It is legal per the wireless agreement we all have to agree with to get service:

1.3 Can AT&T Change My Terms And Rates?

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I did not lose eligibility for a plan. They just changed the plan without
my consent. They admitted it was wrong in the chat, both people I talked
to. In their own words: "This is definitely not how AT&T should treat their
loyal customers."

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Pam018 wrote:

The supermarket does not force you to buy the 16oz can if you don't want it and the car dealer does not make you to buy at 2019 model if you want the 2018 model...

But your TV bill, electric bill, oil or gas bill went up without your consent didn’t it?

there is no issue of “legality”.  They can and did.  You can switch to the Flex plan which may suit you.  All the perks, lower price.  Do a price comparison in your My ATT app.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Pam018 wrote:
I did not lose eligibility for a plan.
You read the last sentence?  Geesh, read the first 2!  
They just changed the plan without
my consent. They admitted it was wrong in the chat, both people I talked
to. In their own words: "This is definitely not how AT&T should treat their
loyal customers."  Bull poop.  They sucked up to make you feel better.

They get paid to make you feel better.   But the change is going through.  Most are happy to get more data for a nominal fee.  When 5G comes along that extra data may be a blessing. 

ATT has every right to raise prices, which we won’t like of course.  They didn’t have to increase the data plan, but did so as a good will gesture.  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Your TV provider cannot force you to pay for added programming like HBO or
Showtime if you don't want to...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Pam018 Those chat agents are just trying to placate you. Even if they are sincere, that is their personal opinion and it is irrelevant. ATT has the legal right to make the change they made without your permission or consent. Granted, I’ve never seen such a change before but it is perfectly legal. I’ve seen them raise prices before, the original unlimited plan has gone up 3 times, but never a price increase and plan change.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, changing the rate is one thing but changing the plan you are on to
another plan that cost more without your consent is an issue.

As for the chat people, I thought they were representatives of ATT with
access to user information; it is a concern if they their opinion is not
the one of ATT...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Pam018 It’s just customer support 101, don’t argue with the customer, be empathetic, etc.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

It's a little more that being empathetic when they admit many times during
the chat that ATT is wrong for doing this. Anyways, thanks for your 2 cents.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Pam018 wrote:

The supermarket does not force you to buy the 16oz can if you don't want it and the car dealer does not make you to buy at 2019 model if you want the 2018 model...

Of course not, and AT&T doesn't force you to buy anything either. You can shop elsewhere if you don't like what AT&T provides, just like you can choose a different supermarket or car dealership. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.