For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
alliecat88's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 7:08 PM

ATT Reps that Come to Your House - Bait and Switch PLUS terrible service

In late November when I moved I set up my Direct TV transfer. The rep that came told me that they are sending an AT&T Rep to the house too. So the rep discussed the advantages of switching service from Verizon to AT&T... Here's what I was told:

My cell monthly bill would be $30 a month lower.

My direct TV bill would be $40 a month lower (HBO would now automatically be included) and that this and the cell monthly cost would never change.

He said when he moved the service over to ATT my Verizon contract was automatically cancelled/deactivated.

He said he would handle paying off the remainder of the Verizon bill and all I would need to do is text him the final bill.

He said that I would get the remainder of the $650 offer once the bill was taken care of.

He said if I had any issues with the phone or service he would help me.

He said this would all be easy and he would handle it all. That all I needed to do was send him the bill. It was that simple.

Well after sending him everything he asked for a lot of back and forth in early December he just  out and out stopped responding to my texts in late December. Meanwhile I am getting collections calls and bills mailed to me from Verizon. I called in to ATT for help multiple times. Chatting online. No one seems to be able to direct me as to how to solve this. To make matters worse he inputted my address incorrectly so I was not able to register for an online account. Found this out yesterday after spending an hour on the phone with ATT. I resorted to calling my direct tv installer for advice!  He said call a corporate store and they were helpful but said the manager of this rep would be contacting me and they have not done that. 

I was told a line of crap if you ask me just to make the sale. The customer service has been disgraceful as far as this rep goes. No one on the phone seems to know how to help me. I am now 2 months out from when my account was activated. If the rep had just told me the steps to take on my own I would do it but I couldn't even do that as he entered the wrong address so ATT didn't recognize me as a customer. 

Anyone else have this issue? I got swindled in my own home. It's gross. And now ATT just sort of shakes it's head at me like "we don't know what to do for you?". Frankly my case should be escalated up and someone who has some power to do something should get involved.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@alliecat88 wrote:

In late November when I moved I set up my Direct TV transfer. The rep that came told me that they are sending an AT&T Rep to the house too. So the rep discussed the advantages of switching service from Verizon to AT&T... Here's what I was told:

My cell monthly bill would be $30 a month lower.

My direct TV bill would be $40 a month lower (HBO would now automatically be included) and that this and the cell monthly cost would never change.

He said when he moved the service over to ATT my Verizon contract was automatically cancelled/deactivated.

He said he would handle paying off the remainder of the Verizon bill and all I would need to do is text him the final bill.

He said that I would get the remainder of the $650 offer once the bill was taken care of.

He said if I had any issues with the phone or service he would help me.

He said this would all be easy and he would handle it all. That all I needed to do was send him the bill. It was that simple.

Well after sending him everything he asked for a lot of back and forth in early December he just  out and out stopped responding to my texts in late December. Meanwhile I am getting collections calls and bills mailed to me from Verizon. I called in to ATT for help multiple times. Chatting online. No one seems to be able to direct me as to how to solve this. To make matters worse he inputted my address incorrectly so I was not able to register for an online account. Found this out yesterday after spending an hour on the phone with ATT. I resorted to calling my direct tv installer for advice!  He said call a corporate store and they were helpful but said the manager of this rep would be contacting me and they have not done that. 

I was told a line of crap if you ask me just to make the sale. The customer service has been disgraceful as far as this rep goes. No one on the phone seems to know how to help me. I am now 2 months out from when my account was activated. If the rep had just told me the steps to take on my own I would do it but I couldn't even do that as he entered the wrong address so ATT didn't recognize me as a customer. 

Anyone else have this issue? I got swindled in my own home. It's gross. And now ATT just sort of shakes it's head at me like "we don't know what to do for you?". Frankly my case should be escalated up and someone who has some power to do something should get involved.

First things first: Pay Verizon. Under no circumstances will AT&T directly pay another carrier's bill. 

To qualify for the switcher offer, you must trade in your old phones and sign up for the AT&T payment plan. Did you do both?

Last, the offer will only pay for your ETF/remaining phone payments with Verizon; you will not receive anything more. If you only owed Verizon $500, then you will only get $500. The offer will only let you break even. 

You were told a lot of stuff that wasn't true. No one can go back in time to change that. We can help you figure out a way forward, though. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

No carrier pays your bills for you.  You pay Verizon and ATT reimburses your final bill less trade in.

https://extrameasures.att.com/#/home

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

I understand how frustrating not receiving what you expected and switching services can be.  Every area is different, in my area the only time an actual AT&T rep comes to my house is after I ordered wireless and that is only to deliver and set up the phones.  Nobody can promise you that your bill will NEVER increase or change.  The most they can offer is a set amount of time, which is dictated by your contract.

What does your contract state?  You had to have signed something.  I also understand that people misunderstood or misinterpret things, so always look at your contract.  Take the time to become familar with your service and billing to make sure it’s what you want during your remorse period.  I am surprised that the first time you called, the agent didn’t notice the incorrect address on the account.  It’s one of many things you have to verify.

Most wireless companies used to cancel your service whenever you ported your number to another company, but a lot now state that you have to call to cancel.  Eventually I am sure that you received a bill of active service and needed to cancel Verizon.  AT&T doesn’t pay your phone bill, they only pay for any ETF or phone balance, but there are requirements and steps for this.  I have found a link that may help a little more of how to proceed regarding the switch credits.  https://extrameasures.att.com/#/home

For account specific assistance, you can send a private message to @ATTMobilityCare

I hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Wow. I am sort of shocked. I appreciate your reply and the steps forward.
It is still very upsetting. I specifically asked the rep if I needed to pay
Verizon and have our whole text conversation as well as proof of what he
has told me.

I traded my phone in at the time of the visit to my house. He took my
Iphone 6 and gave me an Iphone 8. I don't know what I am signed up for
frankly because my account has been unavailable to me due to him using the
wrong zip code. Yesterday the account locked completely and I could not get
in and neither could ATT.

Is there anyone who could contact me directly? In no way shape or form was
I told I would be on the hook for the remainder of the Verizon fees and
then have to wait however long to be reimbursed. This is so frustrating.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

I would be upset also.  In my opinion, nobody disbelieved you, we just wanted to help go forward.  This is mainly a customer to customer forum, we don’t have anyone to call you.  You can send a private message to @ATTMobilityCare.  It may take a day or two, but they are good at resolving issues.

I only asked what your contract stated because you can’t get into your account.  That way you can use it to look up on the website what to expect, cost, etc.  The customers on this forum are only trying to help, most of us receive no compensation whatsoever.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

I don’t blame you for being shocked or annoyed.  Att has some real customer service and training problems 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you! I frankly would not have switched if I was told the truth. I was
moving and as you all know, moving has a lot of expenses that go along with
it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I am sorry this is my first time on a forum of any sort. I thought it was ATT addressing me directly! LOL!

The Direct TV rep told me it is a new program that they only have in a few states. I don't want to out him but he did say that don't worry you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to just say no. I even told him what the rep was telling me and saying "how could anyone say no to this". It is VERY new and it is something they are trying out. That is why I don't think they have a lot of support for it. As far as messages to Mobility I have only found that they are in place for businesses not for personal accounts but I will try again.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Update! I called the 611 option through my phone and finally got in touch with a helpful rep. They found the employee that came to my house and found their boss' local number so I was able to call her. She apologized and said this has been an issue over and over with this rep. She credited my account and said I could still submit for the switcher credit. She is going to look into fixing my future bills as well as he added a bunch of random charges to it. So it is looking good for now.

Guru

• 

467 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you for the update.  I am sad to hear it is an issue, that shouldn’t be.  If they’re trying a new sales tactic sending people who either don’t know what they’re selling or dishonest isn’t the way for it to be successful.  I am glad that you got in touch with the right person to help resolve your situation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.