Need help understanding your bill?
rrice60's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, February 7th, 2017 4:21 PM

AT&T refusal to unlock a device

My phone contract will expire beginning of May 2017. We have grandfathered plan with unlimited data and last month received a letter from AT&T that they will increase the price on our data per month and we have to either agree or if we don't accept we are free to leave within 60 days. We disagree and decided to leave. Now AT&T is putting us through a such difficult time by refusing to unlock my phone. Since last Fri I have spoken to at least 12 maybe more reps and Managers and Customer Loyalty Departments.... and who knows who else. I have to repeat the whole story again and again. Not sure why they don't read it under the call history (they sure ask for my pin)... They all tell me different things. I don't believe what I hear anymore. I was told they will escalate the issue and I will receive the code to unlock it since they broke/violate the contract. The next day I get an email stating that can't be done!!! I talk to a rep, then Manager and they start offering other plans....free tablet...and after I repeat again that's not what I want... they give me some solution but then I get the same email that the device can't be unlocked!!! So frustrating and time consuming! I have been long term customer but I'm so disappointed of this company! I don't understand if they violate the contract what the problem is for them to unlock the phone and let me go on a good terms! This is not how you keep customers AT&T!!!! The worst time dealing with company EVER!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@rrice60 wrote:

My phone contract will expire beginning of May 2017. We have grandfathered plan with unlimited data and last month received a letter from AT&T that they will increase the price on our data per month and we have to either agree or if we don't accept we are free to leave within 60 days. We disagree and decided to leave. Now AT&T is putting us through a such difficult time by refusing to unlock my phone. Since last Fri I have spoken to at least 12 maybe more reps and Managers and Customer Loyalty Departments.... and who knows who else. I have to repeat the whole story again and again. Not sure why they don't read it under the call history (they sure ask for my pin)... They all tell me different things. I don't believe what I hear anymore. I was told they will escalate the issue and I will receive the code to unlock it since they broke/violate the contract. The next day I get an email stating that can't be done!!! I talk to a rep, then Manager and they start offering other plans....free tablet...and after I repeat again that's not what I want... they give me some solution but then I get the same email that the device can't be unlocked!!! So frustrating and time consuming! I have been long term customer but I'm so disappointed of this company! I don't understand if they violate the contract what the problem is for them to unlock the phone and let me go on a good terms! This is not how you keep customers AT&T!!!! The worst time dealing with company EVER!!!

If you are under contract, you are not eligible for a device unlock. You will need to cancel your service and pay the final bill before the phone can be unlocked. 

Guru

• 

901 Messages

7 years ago

Are you still under contract?  You might need to cancel your contract with AT&T.  Wait for your last bill, which should show the ETF credited to your account.  Pay that bill then you should be able to unlock it.  Right now the system still shows that your phone is under contract, which probably is what is causing it not to be able to be unlocked.  I know other carriers you need to be up to date on the account before they will unlock the device.  Just a suggestion.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@MicCheck  Is correct.  You must complete your financial obligation before ATT will unlock your phones.  This includes paying the final bill.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I don’t have a prob paying my final bill. The issue is they violate the contract. Why wouldn't they own it and unlock the phone? I need it unlocked to go to another carriers...Unprofessional!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@rrice60   I don't think you understand, or don't choose to.   Your financial responsibilities must be completed first, only then is ATT willing to unlock the phone.  

For the record, until your line received the price increase, which isn't until next month, ATT did not break its contract with you, they only notified you of the intent to do so.  

Had you understood the email, and waited, ATT would have let you out of your contract without ETF on your unlimited lines.  

They still would not have unlocked your phones until your final bill was paid.  

ATT, T-mobile, Sprint and dozens of other carriers agreed with the FCC to unlock phones and tablets under these terms.  And they will.  But you have to hold up your end, which you have not yet completed.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

This has to be illegal. It has to be a violation of customer rights. How can a company hold your phone and number hostage? BBB is my next step. Maybe the Union for wireless too.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Tried using the online portal 3 times to unlock a Galaxy S4. It's been off contract for several years. Yes, I've verified that the IMEI in system settings matches the one after dialing the *#06# number. Every time I'm told it can't be unlocked because it's "not a consumer device". Can someone at AT&T - an employee -  not an "expert" on this board - point me to a way to get it unlocked please? Thanks.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@ATTCares

.....asked and answered as to how to contact.   You aren't going to get any other response, just because it might come from a CSR directly.   

IMG_6176.JPGIMG_6177.JPG

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Is there a fee to unlock an iphone 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I've been trying to get my iPhone 6 plus unlocked for 6 months and have been lied to and every call suddenly drops and I have to start same process of telling same info as I've told a 1000 times already, which is I bought phone from Best buy 3 yrs ago and I have my receipt showing I paid in full.

Contract has ended over a yr ago. I've been with att forever and ive never had any history of anything. Average use and pd bill of approximately 60.00 every month on time. In one month it went from 60. Too 700.00. W#*!!!

Certainly I wasn't able to pay this mystery amount phone cut off and next week I receive bill of 2000.00.

Att said gb. Bull---t. I am one person and no way is this a possibility. Nobody will talk with me and listen to the facts and now won't unlock my phone, and att has flagged my phone stolen and that has not happened and I know this have my phone and my receipt.

I meet the requirements in every way and this bull---t story of GB is complete nonsense and I have been trying to take my phone that I bought from Best buy 3 yrs ago but nothing changes and I continue calling repeating same info call gets dropped (yeah sure it does) Everytime.?????? And I have to start over. 6 months I'VE been doing this.! Corporate store say they have nothing to do with unlock codes and best buy made a call on my behalf and was given info that turned out to not even exist within att directory "device unlock team" and again I ended up with an email telling me to submit request to unlock online and again I did to be denied as still flagged stolen and that is wrong. 

I'm not going to give up fighting for what att is clearly lying about I just wonder why? I'm one person doing nothing different than my history shows and one month to the next with no explanation other than GB..?

Bull---- story ppl.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.