For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Manziel's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, March 19th, 2018 2:25 PM

AT&T would not give me a phone plan

I am currently on someone else's phone plan, and I have been trying to get out of that family plan and start my own individual line (same phone number), so I started the Transfer of Billing Responsibility process. They did a credit check and told me to go to the nearest AT&T store with 2 forms of IDs and SS card. I did that and the nearest AT&T store outright told me they would do nothing related to TOBR there and I would have to go to a corporate store (with a "Get Out" attitude even though the store was empty). I was like, fine, so I drive 1 and half hours to get to a corporate store.

The guy there started trying to tell me that my SS card has a problem cuz it says "Only valid for work with DHS authorization" (I also had my DHS authorization papers with me), and said I won't be able to get a phone for that reason which was a nice way of saying I can't get a phone because I am not a US citizen (I am a legal resident if you're wondering). He told me go get another card and come back, and he may not realize it but he was pretty much trying to tell me to go get a green card or citizenship and come back to AT&T. Me, knowing a few things on the topic, tried to convince him that it should not be an issue, and he finally agreed to give it a try, but by that time, they were past closing time and I was inside a closed store. So, I decided to stay in a hotel overnight instead of driving back home and come back tomorrow.

Next day, I go to the store at about noon, have the same guy start the process. He played with his tablet a lot, stayed on his phone a lot, told me the first attempt failed because my SSN was mistyped. He tried again, stayed on hold for hours until it was close to store closing time (yes, I literally spent the whole day at AT&T store). I called customer service number, they kept me on hold forever, told me to go to store and give my IDs again as I responded them that I already did that. Guy on the phone tells me to do it again - I have to remind him I'm still at the at&t store - then I am told he will help me. Clearly he was as helpless as I was. He stayed on his phone on hold until it was getting dark, and I was getting late, so I left the store and came home. I believe the issue was: the guy was trying to call the 'fraud' department to complete my credit check process, and they were keeping him on hold forever. He also said I will have to pay a deposit of $500, which annoyed me but I said I'm okay with it if that's what it takes.

I called AT&T again, and they tell me to go to the store with IDs and SS card again. For a third day in a row. Now, I have to work and I can't find time to allocate more than four or five hours of my day (with at least 3 hours of driving). All I can do is rant about this in my computer during my lunch break at work.

Somebody tell me what to do. I can't switch carriers because AT&T and Verizon are the only networks that work in and around my town, and the nearest Verizon store is farther than AT&T stores. I can't stay on that guy's plan cuz of personal issues, and after this billing period which ends in about a week, I won't have a phone plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

My suggestion would be to switch to prepaid which does not require a credit check or any of that documentation. Once that is done, then work on getting a postpaid account if you still want one.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

Ditto.  No credit ch3ck, no deposit.  You just have to pay for your phone in full, no installments are available on prepaid. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I am thinking the same - about getting a prepaid instead. But since this is a relatively rural area, I'm worried prepaid may not have as good network. Service and network is very important since I am a heavy user, and I am willing to pay top price for it if needed. Also, my employee pays for a contract plan, does not pay for prepaid plan - I don't why, that's just how it works (its a German conglomerate, I can't talk my way through it) - being the biggest reason I don't want to get prepaid, but might have to now.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

You can always try Verizon.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

They won't let me keep my phone number if I want to switch to prepaid. So, Prepaid is not an option for me. I have to keep my phone number.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Manziel wrote:

They won't let me keep my phone number if I want to switch to prepaid. So, Prepaid is not an option for me. I have to keep my phone number.

Not sure why they are telling you that, you absolutely should be able to keep your number. Did you try to do that at an authorized retailer? If so, that is probably why. I don’t think that is a transaction an authorized retailer can do. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I was told by the Customer Service Reps (phone and online chat) that the only way I can keep my number is by completing the TOBR process with a credit check since the number is a part of a postpaid/contract plan. So, it doesn't matter if I get prepaid or contract, I'll have to go through the same process.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Well if you can’t get someone knowledgeable enough to help you, not much else you can do but those reps were wrong. Customers move their lines from postpaid to prepaid all the time and prepaid never requires a credit check. The trick is finding someone who knows what they are doing.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster Is correct, you can always keep your number.   I suspect a rep trying to boost his stats by getting you to add a new line. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.