For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
LamarWashington's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Closed

AT&T, privacy, and business ethics

I just got this email from AT&T about my CPNI usage. Apparently they want to use my private info for marketing purposes. Here's what's wrong with that.

I'm already a customer, leave me alone. Stop advertising new services and products to your own customers it's an annoying waste that clutters the website, my inbox, and wastes time when calling customer service.

Second, they were going to take my private info anyway if I did not respond the long, confusing e-mail with unfamiliar abbreviations like CPNI. They are profiting from every instance of non-response. Most people don't have the time or don't care enough to contact AT&T and request not to have their privacy invaded.

The language used is deceptive: "By checking this box I am requesting that AT&T restrict the use of my CPNI." that's the quote. See, it seems like they are restricting you, because of the purposefully confusing language. In reality, they are being restricted. I wonder what they have to gain that they would phrase it in a backwards way like this, surely AT&T has no concern for clarity when communicating with customers.

Bad show guys. Most people aren't going to notice, the rest probably won't care, but I hope there are a few people who demand more from a company they pay thousands of dollars to annually.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Nefarious business practices, without question. I got the email, clicked on the link to opt out, and then was told I needed an account number, which was supposedly in the email. It wasn't in the email - only the last four numbers were. So I log into my ATT account, get the number, go back to the form, enter all the numbers and my zip code and get this: We're Having Trouble Processing Your CPNI Request You can still make your request by phone. Please call a representative at 1-800-288-2020. I've now already wasted 7 minutes of my life. I call a representative and am greeted with endless menus with the "Push 1 for, push 2 for," which every consumer in the nation hates to deal with, especially as we know we're all getting routed to the same place. When I finally reach a representative, she says she has to put me on hold, where I wait for 4 minutes. It took 8 minutes of holding and pushing number buttons to even reach her in the first place. Finally, after 12 total minutes, she comes back and says I've been opted out. Total life wasted: Around 19 minutes. What a racket. First, make people opt out rather than needing to opt in to get their privacy invaded, then make it so difficult to opt out that most people will give up. And waste your customers' time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Same xact thing happened to me!  Interesting coincidence.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I'm trying to opt out of this, and the link doesn't work for me...and I've talked to 6 different people and none of them know what I'm referring to when I ask about trying to keep AT&T from using my CPNI.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

The exact same thing happened to me. The direct link provided in the email did not work. I just spent 15 minutes on the phone, most of it on hold, attempting to opt out of future attempts to monetize my private information. The representative knew nothing about the email.

I am not a commodity to be passed around within the ATT family of companies, for "marketing" purposes or otherwise.

Former Employee

• 

65 Messages

12 years ago

All telecommunication companies do this. Whether you opt in or out, your information is not being passed around.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

This is simply not OK.

From the email:

"AT&T companies that provide telecommunications and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service (which permits VoIP customers to both send and receive calls to/from customers with traditional telephone/telecommunications service) would like to share your customer proprietary network information within the AT&T family of companies for our own marketing purposes, including using that information to offer you additional products and services."

My "customer proprietary netowork information" should not be traded or shared amongst any business entities, within or without the AT&T "family", for marketing purposes or to offer me additional products and services.

I pay AT&T enough money monthly that it's infuriating to have them inform me that without my intervention, I'll be subject to unsolicted sales & marketing attempts.

I want more signal and less noise from my communications provider. Whether or not all telecommunications companies do this is not the issue. The issue is that AT&T did and does. How is the fact that this is a problem an anathema to AT&T's customer service?

Former Employee

• 

65 Messages

12 years ago

They don't share your information. If you decide not to opt in but have not been able to opt out though the link/email, there is a privacy statement that has to be read before anything can be offered to you. The whole purpose is to present other ATT products to you, NOT share your information.

I give up. Call customer service and have them read word-for-word what it means and what to expect. Here a link to more comprehensive info on what CPNI means.  CPNI

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I agree that this has been a very frustrating endeavor, but as of today, the online form to opt out of sharing CPNI works (at least it did for me). Type in your customer ID (not your phone number), complete the rest of the form, and submit. Your account number can be found on your bill or on the top left side of your paperless statement. I hope this helps my fellow AT&T users.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I am have the same problem everyone else is! Shame on you AT&T!!! Threatening to share my information unless I opt-out of this program, and then making it impossible to opt-out!!! I have tried online. I have called both numbers listed in the email. You owe your customers better than this. I have given this company thousands of dollars over the years for service that is faulty at best ("But, sir, my map shows that your home has excellent coverage"). Fix this and fix it now!

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

So how the heck do we "opt out"?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.