For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
LamarWashington's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Closed

AT&T, privacy, and business ethics

I just got this email from AT&T about my CPNI usage. Apparently they want to use my private info for marketing purposes. Here's what's wrong with that.

I'm already a customer, leave me alone. Stop advertising new services and products to your own customers it's an annoying waste that clutters the website, my inbox, and wastes time when calling customer service.

Second, they were going to take my private info anyway if I did not respond the long, confusing e-mail with unfamiliar abbreviations like CPNI. They are profiting from every instance of non-response. Most people don't have the time or don't care enough to contact AT&T and request not to have their privacy invaded.

The language used is deceptive: "By checking this box I am requesting that AT&T restrict the use of my CPNI." that's the quote. See, it seems like they are restricting you, because of the purposefully confusing language. In reality, they are being restricted. I wonder what they have to gain that they would phrase it in a backwards way like this, surely AT&T has no concern for clarity when communicating with customers.

Bad show guys. Most people aren't going to notice, the rest probably won't care, but I hope there are a few people who demand more from a company they pay thousands of dollars to annually.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Not true.  That search doesnt turn up the necessary link!

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I agree with Lamar too - confusing, vague, deceptive language in email. What a waste of precious time!!!!

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

COMPLETELY AGREE!  They are untrustworthy!!!  How are we to protect ourselves from from this aweful company???  Time to switch companies... they promise 'unlimited' internet access and then throttle anyone who is actually using what they payed for.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

First we HATE at&t! We'll NEVER do business with this HORRID company again.

Now. We got an email 'An important message about the privacy of your customer information' but the email has the last four numbers wrong on our account. How do we know it's not a scam? That leaves the question how can we make sure the worst company on the  planet NEVER offers us ANYTHING else until this contract expires? I'm mad that we keep getting offers in the mail but we've tried to have that stopped but fittingly nothing has worked.

We're sick to death of ATT and would LOVE to get out of the contract but since that isn't going to happen how can we make sure we get ZERO offers from ATT to steal more of our money and cause us further inconvenience, anxiety and anger?

We HATE ATT!

[word filter avoidance]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Nice move there AT&T. My contract has been expired for quite some time now. So has my wifes. Don't worry though, I'll opt out with a message from the carrier I switch to, when they send you the FOC and PON for our numbers.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I still need to opt out.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@pitdoug1998 wrote:

First we HATE at&t! We'll NEVER do business with this HORRID company again.

Now. We got an email 'An important message about the privacy of your customer information' but the email has the last four numbers wrong on our account. How do we know it's not a scam? That leaves the question how can we make sure the worst company on the  planet NEVER offers us ANYTHING else until this contract expires? I'm mad that we keep getting offers in the mail but we've tried to have that stopped but fittingly nothing has worked.

We're sick to death of ATT and would LOVE to get out of the contract but since that isn't going to happen how can we make sure we get ZERO offers from ATT to steal more of our money and cause us further inconvenience, anxiety and anger?

We HATE ATT!

[word filter avoidance]

I'm sorry that you've had such difficulty. I'd be happy to help you ensure that you don't receive any marketing offers. 

To completely opt out of CPNI, click this link and enter the requested information: https://www.att.com/ecpnioptout/InitiateCPNIForm.action

To manage other marketing preferences, click here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=52780&cv=820,903#fbid=7vGqFk8zLUo

I'm also concerned about the incorrect account number and would like to make sure that we've addressed the other issues you've had. It's pretty clear you're not happy and I'd like the opportunity to change that. 

If you'd like to work on this further, please send me a private message with your name, phone number and the best time to contact you as well as a brief summary of what's going on outside of the marketing concerns. I'll have a member of my team contact you to review whatever you'd like. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

Scholar

• 

141 Messages

12 years ago

I agree that it is pretty shady of AT&T to say that they are going to give your information away UNLESS you jump through hoops to say you don't want them to.  The right thing to do would be to not give out customer information under any circumstance UNLESS that customer specifically says it's ok. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Got an email from att.cpni.irn.988660687AT email.att-mail.com telling me my information was going to be used to sell me other products and if I did not want it sold, I needed to respond. Tried to respond via the link. Got an error message. Tried to respond via Chat. They were not equipped to deal with CPNI whatever that is. Tried to call, got transferred. Got put on hold. Then that customer service rep did not know anything about it. 

I have to hand it to AT&T--they have the system DOWN! They know if you re-route a customer long enough, they'll give up and then they can legally sell their information to other companies and for further advertisement. 

Good Job!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Sounds nice but that process is designed to not work. I tried it and your email proves AT and T know about CPNI unlike the customer rep I got on the phone who said he had several calls about it and that it must be a con artist as no email from you was ever sent. It would seem the company was the one conning us to be able to sell our information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.