Need help understanding your bill?
LamarWashington's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Closed

AT&T, privacy, and business ethics

I just got this email from AT&T about my CPNI usage. Apparently they want to use my private info for marketing purposes. Here's what's wrong with that.

I'm already a customer, leave me alone. Stop advertising new services and products to your own customers it's an annoying waste that clutters the website, my inbox, and wastes time when calling customer service.

Second, they were going to take my private info anyway if I did not respond the long, confusing e-mail with unfamiliar abbreviations like CPNI. They are profiting from every instance of non-response. Most people don't have the time or don't care enough to contact AT&T and request not to have their privacy invaded.

The language used is deceptive: "By checking this box I am requesting that AT&T restrict the use of my CPNI." that's the quote. See, it seems like they are restricting you, because of the purposefully confusing language. In reality, they are being restricted. I wonder what they have to gain that they would phrase it in a backwards way like this, surely AT&T has no concern for clarity when communicating with customers.

Bad show guys. Most people aren't going to notice, the rest probably won't care, but I hope there are a few people who demand more from a company they pay thousands of dollars to annually.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

maquis - I certainly hate to lose you as a customer but understand your frustration. If you need assistance going through the opt out process, please let me know. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Wow, this is amazing! I am so happy to be a customer so I can waste my valuable time at home posting how ridiculously difficult this CPNI opt- out is.  Just logging in to post this message made me feel like a dyed poodle in a traveling side show. 

I received my CPNI info card in the mail today.  My first attempt to opt-out was by telephone prompt.  When I realized I didn't know my acct # I decided I would talk to a representative.  The rep told me first that CPNI was not within the company.  When I asked about the postcard she said that the CPNI "didn't really do anything".  When I reiterated my opt-out she said that entity was closed for the day and she couldn't transfer me.  So I found this forum, followed the link, entered the info and found the website was having difficulty processing my request and to call a representative.  So I found my acct # and called the prompt line (24hrs a day, 7 days a week). I entered my info and was informed by the kind computer that my acct couldn't be found.  I have tried the computer and phone prompt several times, to no avail. 

Really AT&T, really?  This is further confirming that my account is no longer neccessary and I should cut ties now before this continues wasting my family time. Why am I paying you every month to take advantage of me?   You, AT&T, are like a girlfriend I have given the benefit of the doubt too long now.  Sure we have had some fun times and sure we learned a lot from each other, but I just don't think we are meant to be together.  I think it is about time to say, "its over".

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry you had such difficulty opting out, the representative you spoke with should have been properly informed and able to help you. 

Do you still need assistance opting out or were you eventually able to complete the process?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

@JFizDaWiz wrote:
They only share your info within the company if its any consolation.

JFIZ - you must not read the mailings or know about the company you work for that much.

AT&T and our authorized agents will not sell, trade or share your CPNI with anyone other than those who are in the AT&T family of companies or are AT&T authorized agents, unless required by law.

The above excerpt is from the eMail I received - the specific part you need to pay attention to is where is says " AT&T authorized agents".

What that means is that ANY 3rd party reseller (ie Billy Bob's Cell Phone Emporium) that is licensed to sell an AT&T product is in that group.  So ANY and ALL potential information that we do not OPT OUT of - will potentially be handed off to any of those companies that are not AT&T.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

@jamileh wrote:

I'm sorry you had such difficulty opting out, the representative you spoke with should have been properly informed and able to help you. 

Do you still need assistance opting out or were you eventually able to complete the process?

Add me to the list of people that had to dig for this Thread just to find an OPT OUT Option as the eMail I received (that I actually bothered reading) had a "CLICK HERE" link an did not look legitimate.

WHY is this OPTION not a part of our Account Preferences ?
(rhetorical question)

I swear if I had a few other alternatives - I would leave the services of about 5 big name companies - especially this one. Unfortunatley the alternatives are not any better right now. So I'm stuck dealing w/ garbage like this. Instead of spending my time actually being productive. Thanks ATT !!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry if you felt the link did not look legitimate. The opt out information can also be found by entering CPNI into the search feature on att.com. 

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

And then calling.... the person didnt even know what I was talking about.  She gave me another number and transfered me.  That call disconnected.  I called back.  30 minutes later, the guy said I was opted out.  Why is this so difficult?

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Try this number: 1.808.331.0500  

The guy I talked to seemed to know what I was talking about and knew what CPNI was.  Called the number in the email and that person was clueless. Good job ATT.....

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

That is the main number for AT&T and you can definitely call it to get help opting out if you're not able to do it online. 

I'm sorry you weren't able to get this done easily. If you happen to remember the name or the ID of the person you spoke with initally, please shoot me a private message. 

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Very similar experience!!! couldnt log in b/c dont have my acc # (paperless).  couldnt log into my acc (locked after 3 attempts).  called # in email.  the rep had NO IDEA what i was talking about!!! gave me another number; the guy said he did and opted me out.  40 minutes of my life. gone.  ((((((GERRRR)))))

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.