Need help understanding your bill?
LamarWashington's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Closed

AT&T, privacy, and business ethics

I just got this email from AT&T about my CPNI usage. Apparently they want to use my private info for marketing purposes. Here's what's wrong with that.

I'm already a customer, leave me alone. Stop advertising new services and products to your own customers it's an annoying waste that clutters the website, my inbox, and wastes time when calling customer service.

Second, they were going to take my private info anyway if I did not respond the long, confusing e-mail with unfamiliar abbreviations like CPNI. They are profiting from every instance of non-response. Most people don't have the time or don't care enough to contact AT&T and request not to have their privacy invaded.

The language used is deceptive: "By checking this box I am requesting that AT&T restrict the use of my CPNI." that's the quote. See, it seems like they are restricting you, because of the purposefully confusing language. In reality, they are being restricted. I wonder what they have to gain that they would phrase it in a backwards way like this, surely AT&T has no concern for clarity when communicating with customers.

Bad show guys. Most people aren't going to notice, the rest probably won't care, but I hope there are a few people who demand more from a company they pay thousands of dollars to annually.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks Tyler for that link, it was the only way I found a place to opt out, which is ridiculous!  I searched for CPNI and only got a link to this forum, they are hiding the opt-out page so people will get frustrated and not bother.  Ridiculous that you have to opt-OUT rather than opt-IN!!!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Did anyone try calling the number in the email?  I am in Oregon and you have to listen to a long message to find your state and press "1" to "9", and then at the end of the list, after Oregon wasn't even mentioned (don't think Washington was either), they give you another number to call!!!

AT&T ... if we have to go through this, you know where we live, give us the right number in the email!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for posting this link. I've marked it as an accepted solution so it's easier for other people to find. 🙂

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Moved for better exposure

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

So, do I have to do this for each phone number?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

whats the big deal

it only took me 6 attempts to log in to the opt out web page and another 3 attempts to get a successful confirmation of the opt out request being submitted for processing

never got a postive indication that my request had been granted

att is the best....

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@felix - If you have mutliple account numbers, yes. 

@SSeeplane1 - I'm sorry you had such a difficult time. Were you getting errors or was the site timing out? That's not a typical experience. 

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

It is wrong to handle customers in this fashion. It's rotten to assume customers want extra sharing of their CPN-I - whatever that may include today or in the future!

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I tried to optout from the Att account sign on but there was absolutely nothing about CPNI. I tried searching their whole site and looked for it under Manage Account Support etc-nothing! Is this a bogus ploy to get our account # if we optout?
I tried the phone# but it said get the acct# from the email but only the last 4digits are given in the email! ComOnMan!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@Amorgan90 wrote:
I tried to optout from the Att account sign on but there was absolutely nothing about CPNI. I tried searching their whole site and looked for it under Manage Account Support etc-nothing! Is this a bogus ploy to get our account # if we optout?
I tried the phone# but it said get the acct# from the email but only the last 4digits are given in the email! ComOnMan!

The link to opt out is available in this thread (https://www.att.com/ecpnioptout/InitiateCPNIForm.action) and can be found by searching for CPNI using the search box on each page. 

AT&T is not attempting to secure any information from you. We already know your account number, entering it is the way we ensure your options regarding CPNI are recorded. 

If you're not sure of your account number, you can see it on your billing statement or by logging into your account at www.att.com. 

Please let me know if you continue to have trouble. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.