For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Ryanemlinger's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 1:08 PM

AT&T next

I have been with AT&T for almost 7 years now. About 2 years ago I was forced into the AT&T next plan. I switched to the iPhone 6plus. I love this phone other than the fact it absolutely eats battery power. I can not get through even 1 day on a full charge. I really wanted to switch to the 7plus so I contacted AT&T. First I was working with a Gentelman that promised he could help me. He put me on hold after saying he would be right back. 52 minutes later and he never returned. I actually had to call AT&T back and spent another 50 minutes on the phone. In the end this is what I learned: if there are any smart AT&T employees on here I hope you can help. I can trade my iPhone 6+ in for the 7+. Only issue is that I haven't reached the end of my installment plan on the 6+. Therefore I pay $100 upgrade fee, give you the 6+ back that I have already payed $550 dollars into. You resell it or write it off whatever you do but clearly it doesn't go in the garbage so you make some kind of profit from it, then I purchase the 7+ (at full price) whether outright or next installments. Am I correct? So my understanding is that AT&T gets to keep me as a customer profits over $1700 dollars from me, and this is just for phones. This doesn't even unclude the $100+ a month I pay for my service. Hmmmmm. Can someone tell me how I benefit from this?

Ryan

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

Next is like a no interest loan.  Either you pay it off entirely, and keep the phone, or trade in early to wipe all remaining payments. 

Next has an upgrade point you must reach in order to wipe all remaining payments.  It sounds like you are at the "pay to upgrade date".    You may have 6 payments left after that which ATT forgives if you trade in the phone.

more on current Next options: 

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

How am I being forgiven? AT&T got $550 from me and gets the $700 phone back to make more profit from it. Forgiven would be I keep the phone and no more owed. I can keep it for a few more months and make my own profit off of it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

You still owe on the phone, which you can pay and KEEP the phone.

You can't pay 80% of a car and no more, AND keep the car.  You either pay it off and it's yours, or you trade it in.  

Not the best analogy.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I completely understand how the plan works. My point is that if I trade in a car for example that I owe lets just say $200, but the trade in value is $1000. I still get the $800 difference toward the new car then they will sell that car for $2000 making even more profit. The next plan does not allow for that. Consumer looses everything. So your point makes absolutely no sense.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I completely understand how the plan works. My point is that if I trade in a car for example that I owe lets just say $200, but the trade in value is $1000. I still get the $800 difference toward the new car then they will sell that car for $2000 making even more profit. The next plan does not allow for that. Consumer looses everything. So your point makes absolutely no sense.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

My point is that the trade in value of the phone (if it was paid off) I know this because I asked, is far more than what I currently owe in the phone. But AT&T does not credit me that toward the purchase of a new phone. I just loose it and AT&T gets the profit. The trade in value should not be different whether paid in full or owed on. Instead I have to pay more to trade it. $100 fee, you keep the phone. In other words I have to pay YOU or AT&T or whoever I am talking to right now, I pay you to profit off of me and get nothing in return except a new bill that AT&T will profit off of. In your previous car analogy you were correct. If it was paid in full, I could trade it in but then I would get the whole trade in value applied toward my new car.. If I owe I get the trade in value minus what I owe.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

So don't trade in.  Pay if off and sell it.  

The option is yours.  

But if you want to upgrade with trade in this is the option.

Not every phone holds its value as well as iPhone. 

Back to the car analogy.... if you have a car loan, and want to trade in the car for a new one, you don't get the full trade in value either, because you have to pay off the loan.  

Next usually allows you off of the last 6 payments, at an average of $25 each, that is 150.  Trade in value may be $300.  Resale on eBay may be $400-500.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

The trade-in value is pre-assigned with the Next plan, regardless of what the phone is actually worth and that trade-in value is simply the remaining installment paments you don't have to make. For many phones, especially iPhones, that is not a good deal especially if you have passed your trade-in point and made more payments than required to trade-in. You of course could pay off the balance and use the traditional trade-in program where you get an amount based on the phone's value. For an iPhone, still likely not a good deal.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Ryanemlinger wrote:
Can someone tell me how I benefit from this?

Who said you're the one who's supposed to benefit from this???

Are you thinking AT&T should take a loss on your trading in a phone?

As you clearly see, they benefit on this option, it's your choice if you want to do it the easy way and skip the last 6 months or the hard way and sell it yourself.

AT&T probably doesn't care either way, they're likely just happy that you're committing to another Next plan 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.