For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Dan28's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 26th, 2014 12:51 AM

AT&T next

to upgrade your phone do you have to wait 12 months or can you pay off your phone early to upgrade? Also if you can pay your phone off early to upgrade do you only have to pay 12 months or the 20months to upgrade early?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

They will only allow upgrade in 12 months IF you trade in your phone and it must be in good condition. If it is damaged in any way, they may not allow the upgrade. If the phone is paid in full, it becomes your phone and you can sell outright and don't need to trade in to upgrade.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Dan28 wrote:
So you have to pay the whole 20 months before you upgrade. You can't just pay the 12 months because that's what it says on the plan... Upgrade every 12 months

There are two separate issues here: one is the amount of time and the other is the amount of money.

From your first post, I thought that you wanted to know if you could upgrade before 12 months had passed, a timing issue.  I'll clarify my response by saying that you can upgrade at any time before 12 months is completed (if you selected Next 12) as long as you pay the device off in full. 

If you are willing to wait until 12 months have passed, you can trade-in your device and upgrade via Next.  You won't need to make any additional payments at that time as long as your device is in good condition.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I'll paraphrase,

Without turning in the phone, the full amount amount needs to paid, either over the full 20 months, or you can finish paying it early.

Starting after 12month/payments, you can turn the phone (assuming it's in good condition), the rest of payments are forgiven, and you're able to upgrade then.

-Alex

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

You can pay off your phone in full at any time and be eligible to upgrade via Next again.  You can only pay off Next balances in full; no partial payoffs are allowed.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

So you have to pay the whole 20 months before you upgrade. You can't just pay the 12 months because that's what it says on the plan... Upgrade every 12 months

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Ok thanks

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

This is a great topic and answers, thanks everybody!

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.