For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
JoeFrigge's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 12:35 AM

AT&T fraud

Why is AT&T allowed to sell plans to customers KNOWING there is no coverage in that area. Then refuse to refund.
3 TV stations to cover this
1st interview at 1 PM

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @JoeFrigge,

AT&T can't guarantee coverage everywhere in the country. That's why you have 14 days to make an informed decision as to whether or not AT&T is the best for you and return your devices and cancel service.

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Or it's simply a very rural area or out in the sticks and it's far from tower locations. Certainly going to be the logical answer to this conundrum.

Unless we're talking about somewhere like the National Radio quiet zone in West Virginia or the dead middle of the desert, practically every population center has coverage. Population center being the keyword here. Density matters.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I was told that ATT knew there was no coverage in my area but sold me a
plan anyways.ATT told me yes I would be able to get a refund. But
Charleston IL said no to refunds.
No problem, I'm waiting on the call back from a couple TV news crews. I'm
also going to contact a Indiana News station.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

You had 14 days from the time you received your phones to cancel your agreement and return the phones for a full refund minus restocking fees and usage. After 14 days your are required to live up to the agreement.

Did you return the phones in the 14 day period?

How much money did you pay when you received the phones (restocking fee is $35 per unit)?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

All carriers have a 14 day policy.  You cancel the plan, pay a $35 restock fee and return devices in packaging.  It should have taken you far less than 14 days to return if you had no service. 

I will assume you did no go back and return within 14 days.  That means you have to sell the phones to pay them off.

According to the map, coverage would be good for regular (not HD voice).  Only prepaid would have a no coverage area (the yellow area around borton).   Every town has geographic dead spots.  My town has a small dead spot for all carriers. 

image.pngimage.png

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

The terms and cancellation policies are very clear and beyond the 14-day period, you're locked into that agreement, service at your home or not. This agreement was signed by anyone who starts service and it clearly states no coverage is not going to eliminate cancellation fees beyond the 14 day period.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

I can't imagine why that if it didn't work for 7 days at home why people would keep it.  I'd be back at the store on day 1....

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T also has no way to know where you plan to use your phone. For over a year, my billing address didn't match where I was actively living. Just because you gave them that address when you signed up, doesn't mean they knew you would use service there. Now when you call and talk to tech support, and tell them where you're having problems, or go to the store and tell them, then yes, they will check coverage and see that there is none.

But they're not going to deny service to someone just based on the address. My billing address could be in the middle of Alaska, but I may be actively using my phone in California.

You still had the 14 days to do the return if AT&T wasn't the best option for you.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

RETURNS WITHIN 14 DAYS? I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE SAME SITUATION RESOLVED FOR OVER A MONTH AND STILL HAVE NOTHING. I WAS JUST TOLD BY A CUSTOMER SERVICE PERSON THAT I CANNOT HAVE A REFUND! I WAS ALSO TOLD THAT I HAD COVERAGE IN MY AREA AND THE MAP CLEARLY SHOWS THAT I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE COVERAGE. THIS IS FRAUD!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lynn64477 We have no idea what your "same situation" is or what you are trying to have resolved, but items need to be returned in 14 days. 

Since you're shouting in the customer support forums and providing no useful information, it makes me wonder what your shopping experience is like when you are trying to get help...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.