For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
JayTX1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@jamdo63 The same thing happened to everyone on that plan. It was a price increase, pure and simple. No, they didn’t double data but they did remove the 3mbps download speed restriction.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Correct @sandblaster but the way AT&T does things does not meet a reasonable standard of customer service, and it is a pattern.  Hiding the price increase notification on page 6 of a prior bill and then sending a bizarre email with a header suggesting the price change was due to an order I made is not how most companies do business.  Heck, I spent $3000 yearly on their cellular.  I don't need VIP treatment but at that price I should not have to feel like they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes.

Separately yes they did they did "remove the 3 mbps download speed restriction" but they can still limit you whenever they want so it won't cost them a thing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

There is definitely a notice in one of your bills. I have seen several bills (even paperless, they are identical to what is sent in snail mail) with the notice. Yes, it changes mid-cycle. Yes, this creates probations. Check your previous 3 bills. It should be on one of them.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

Or email.  Most report they got an email 2 months before the increase.  Not that everyone reads them.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

It’s not. Went through a years worth of bills.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@acass1234 wrote:
It’s not. Went through a years worth of bills.

Have been able to retain the plan you were switched back to on July 2?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

So far yes

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Just had the same thing happen to me. So, so, so, so angry. I just spent 50 minutes of my life, which I will never get back, talking to someone who clearly didn't want to tell me what was really going on. They eventually told me the email was "hard numbers" before "discounts". Are you kidding me, AT&T? Do you think I'm that dumb? I have a 2G plan, don't need more, and I certainly don't need to pay $30 extra per month for something I never asked for. After putting me on hold and "speaking with his manager" the rep "did his best to help with my problem" and confirmed my plan would remain unchanged. There is no reason for increasing fees on accounts that don't need a lot of data. This is obviously a shady sales technique trying to get people to spend more money on their service. The greed makes me sick.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

@saadd1 wrote:

Just had the same thing happen to me. So, so, so, so angry. I just spent 50 minutes of my life, which I will never get back, talking to someone who clearly didn't want to tell me what was really going on. They eventually told me the email was "hard numbers" before "discounts". Are you kidding me, AT&T? Do you think I'm that dumb? I have a 2G plan, don't need more, and I certainly don't need to pay $30 extra per month for something I never asked for. After putting me on hold and "speaking with his manager" the rep "did his best to help with my problem" and confirmed my plan would remain unchanged. There is no reason for increasing fees on accounts that don't need a lot of data. This is obviously a shady sales technique trying to get people to spend more money on their service. The greed makes me sick.

@saadd1 

no ATT should have just raised the prices and not given anyone data...  Last I checked any company can raise rates.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

@saadd1 wrote:

Just had the same thing happen to me. So, so, so, so angry. I just spent 50 minutes of my life, which I will never get back, talking to someone who clearly didn't want to tell me what was really going on.   Simple, At&t increased prices on old plans.  Either the Sara comes in handy, or they want you to move to the new plans which are less expensive if you use paperless and auto pay.  Yes, they want everyone on paperless and auto pay.  

They eventually told me the email was "hard numbers" before "discounts".   If you are looking at a colorful customer service summary, it’s not your bill.  See mine compared to my actual bill below. 

Are you kidding me, AT&T? Do you think I'm that dumb? I have a 2G plan, don't need more, and I certainly don't need to pay $30 extra per month. No way it’s more than $5.  Not $30.  

for something I never asked for. After putting me on hold and "speaking with his manager" the rep "did his best to help with my problem" and confirmed my plan would remain unchanged. There is no reason for increasing fees on accounts that don't need a lot of data. This is obviously a shady sales technique trying to get people to spend more money on their service. The greed makes me sick.    It’s about forcing customers onto new plans with auto pay and paperless, which save At&t money, or charging you more. 

B06103F8-034D-41D6-887B-C546E1E0CCA8.jpeg910F5BA3-8301-4A32-A295-DCD042F7B661.jpeg

2 Attachments

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.