For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
JayTX1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:
Obvious you are not getting the point and fully support how AT&T handledthe issue.

Absolutely not, it's lousy the way they did it, if we're talking about your issue (which was 10 comments ago and you're referencing no one in particular). When it's not clear what you are talking about again it's hard to formulate a proper response.

But let's go with your comment and not the more recent ones.

I'm agreeing with you on this: It's stupid that they can't make these changes more clearly. BUT they are making the changes.

You arguing about the point is going to get you what?  A refund for the last two months overpayment?

I SPECIFICALLY asked you in comment #54:

So they "fix" it for you and then what?  Properly send you the notification and switch you a month last after you get the notification?

You seem to want to dance around this issue and act like we (I see someone else asked you a similar question) are supporting AT&T, but you aren't answering.  

Have a great day and AT&T thanks you for supporting them so throughly.

It's funny that you think people not agreeing with you means supporting AT&T. Have you considered that I just think YOU are wrong

I support common sense, I'm sorry you're not for that. 

But back to my question, please explain what you expect for a resolution on this matter? What are they going to do for you in the long run? 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:
Give it up please.
Obvious you are not getting the point and fully support how AT&T handled
the issue.

It was not done correctly legally and it is obvious I am not the only one
that feels this way.

They need to follow proper business practices and their own legal
documentation.

I would like them to follow the above.

That is ALL I am looking for.

Have a great day and AT&T thanks you for supporting them so throughly.

Fair enough. You have a right to expect 30 days notice before a change. Obviously, like I said, no one has a time machine, so that can't happen. Since you've received the bill, you've now received notice. Best case scenario, you get a credit for the time between the effective date of the change and the billing date or 30 days after the change, which ever is later. 

If you haven't made a change to your plan or carrier at this point, you have no leg to stand on, in my opinion. Receiving a notice (i.e. the bill) did not make effect your decisions in any way. There's no reason to think you were harmed in any way by not receiving notice before the bill came. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I had the att choice unlimited... and now I have unlimited choice II multi line. And I get charged $10 bucks more a month and I still get unlimited. I for sure will be finding something else when my contract is up. The service had been crap for months now and I have to pay more for it... nope.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Houseofm427 wrote:

I had the att choice unlimited... and now I have unlimited choice II multi line. And I get charged $10 bucks more a month and I still get unlimited. I for sure will be finding something else when my contract is up. The service had been crap for months now and I have to pay more for it... nope.

Yep, prices go up. In this case they also removed the download limit, so you are getting more for your money. 

I'm sure you're not under contract, but you might have phone installments. Those can be paid off at any time. If the service is crap, though, by all means you should leave! 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Same thing happened to me today. It was a "system" update that changed peoples plans. In my case I was NOT notified. CS rep and Loyalty rep both could NOT see where I was notified. Waiting to hear back from a supervisor. Funny thing is, they could move me back to my old plan. Really?!?

I have been with ATT for 20 years and NEVER have I had them go in and change my plan with out my say so.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@acass1234 wrote:

Same thing happened to me today. It was a "system" update that changed peoples plans. In my case I was NOT notified.

I supposed that's possible. It would be a strange set of circumstances, though. 

CS rep and Loyalty rep both could NOT see where I was notified. Waiting to hear back from a supervisor.

What are you expecting from a supervisor?

Funny thing is, they could move me back to my old plan. Really?!?

Probably not really. At least not long-term. 

I have been with ATT for 20 years and NEVER have I had them go in and change my plan with out my say so.

Yeah, AT&T's been pretty good about leaving grandfathered plans alone in the past. Over the past few years, most have had a price increase in one form or another (some more than once). Lately they've been trying add some sort of benefit, like more data or removing data caps, but it seems like that's confused a lot of people. 

Bottom line, if you don't like the plan, find a new one, either with AT&T or with a different company. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I had unlimited EVERYTHING, and upgraded our phones in March. NOBODY ONCE TOLD ME OF ANY OF THESE UPCOMING CHANGES. 

I am disabled, paying all I can to help towards my sons college education, on top of every other necessity we must pay. 

Now I don’t have unlimited date AND my bills more, AND I am locked into payments into our recent upgrades (which AT&T WAS AWARE OF, seeing some people’s bills went up in Feb/March others in May/June)  

I will not be able to afford these changes, I was not at all informed of these changes. 

I’ve been with AT&T since before it was even AT&T... I no longer want to be with a company that is going to make changes to my plan without my authorization. Further more, every other wireless provider provides unlimited data at a cheaper rate. 

I feel I should have informed. Especially when I went to place my orders over the phone, but had to put the order on hold, due to my son being in class. The customer service rep I spoke with told me in order to proceed with the upgrades, he’d need to turn off the “find my iPhone” feature. Or we could not continue the upgrade. 

I explained to the representative that I was not able to reach my son, as he was in a very important class, and he does not keep his phone on in classes. He asked if he could call me back, I agreed. We agreed upon the time in which he’d call back, when he did not call until 3 hours after the agreed upon time. He continued to call from several other numbers (I could not answer any calls I was not avoiding him) 

I have a pin set up for my account that NOBODY knows. I’m the only person who pays the bill. And the pin I made sure was not one that anyone would come close to figuring out. (My explaining this is so that nobody tells it was my son. Because I have all access to his records, not to mention he would simply come to me, just as he did when he said “ma I think I need to upgrade phone” so NO, nobody at all has or could gain access to my account)  the representative THEN went on to call my sons number, the line which I was upgrading. My son told him. “You’d have to speak with my mother. I do not know anything about upgrading or what she chose to do” 

the rep said (and I quote verbatim) “oh your mom handled everything, I just need to process the payment, do you have a debit or credit card number you can give to me” my son said “no” he proceeded to ask for checking information... NOT ONCE ASKING FOR THE SECURITY PIN... AND NOT TO MENTION, nobody else is listed on my account to authorize any changes but ME. 

I am extremely unhappy with everything that has happened ever since we upgraded. I truly wish I had gone to another a provider, before I was fooled into getting new phones. 

I will be contacting a manager regarding this. 

Many other times AT&T has changed their plans, it’s never been a problem because I was told I was “grandfathered” into my current plan. 

This is by far what I have signed up for, and definitely not the same practices that kept me with AT&T all of these years 

(not to mention they actually sent me the wrong color phone when I did upgrade, and I can take responsibility for myself, when I received the new phone, I just yanked the plastic off as soon as I took it out of the box, at which time I realized... it was NOT even the color I chose for the most expensive phone on the margate. 

When I contacted them IMMEDIATELY, they said since the plastic had been removed it was now considered a “used phone” and I could send it back, but had to pay a restocking fee if I wanted the color they should have sent. So not only am I paying a small fortune for a phone that I do not even like the color of... (which as mad as I was. I just figured I would return the clear cases I had ordered online, and get a case to cover the back. I figured it’s the least of my worries) 

i was also told due to ordering via phone, upgrade & activation fees would be waived. They were NOT, yet another call I had to place to AT&T. 

Just when thought things were finally settled I received an email saying they hadn’t received the phone I returned and I needed to pay off the full. Well, of course I had and still have the receipt of mailing with tracking. I even went to my local post office... (the upsize to living in a small town, where the supervisor knows everyone) she showed me the phone was picked up less then an hour ac

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@TinaTina wrote:

I had unlimited EVERYTHING, and upgraded our phones in March. NOBODY ONCE TOLD ME OF ANY OF THESE UPCOMING CHANGES. 

I am disabled, paying all I can to help towards my sons college education, on top of every other necessity we must pay. 

Now I don’t have unlimited date AND my bills more, AND I am locked into payments into our recent upgrades (which AT&T WAS AWARE OF, seeing some people’s bills went up in Feb/March others in May/June)  

I will not be able to afford these changes, I was not at all informed of these changes. 

I’ve been with AT&T since before it was even AT&T... I no longer want to be with a company that is going to make changes to my plan without my authorization. Further more, every other wireless provider provides unlimited data at a cheaper rate. 

Every provider can make changes without your authorization. However, if you had unlimited data before, you still have unlimited data. 

You kind of went on a rant there, so I'm going to ignore the rest of the post.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@TinaTina   Since the new plans have no overage charges, you can’t be paying more for service.   Any increase would be for phones.   

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Same happened to me.  Got some mystery email about an "order" I supposedly made.

Drilled into it and there was an absolutely incomprehensible web page.

After much drilling it seemed they deprecated my AT&T unlimited choice and switched me to "AT&T unlimited choice II" at a higher rate.

You cannot double unlimited data so there was no obvious benefit except to them.

So many screw jobs over the years and It was the last straw.

Switched my whole family to another carrier.

After years at AT&T I still cannot get over the clarity and kindness at the new carrier.    AT&T has a lot to learn.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.