Need help understanding your bill?
JayTX1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

5 years ago

Gary,

It was choice 1 which was changed to Choice 2 by AT&T and the only documentation I received was a email AFTER they made the change.

I have my documentation all in order for my formal  complaint as well as all phone calls to " customer service".

I will pursue the matter pursuant to the arbitration clause which is very well documented by AT&T.

Have a good day.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:

Gary,

It was choice 1 which was changed to Choice 2 by AT&T and the only documentation I received was a email AFTER they made the change.

I have my documentation all in order for my formal  complaint as well as all phone calls to " customer service".

I will pursue the matter pursuant to the arbitration clause which is very well documented by AT&T.

Have a good day.

What outcome from arbitration are you hoping for? AT&T to retroactively send you an email prior to the change? Unless someone invents a time machine soon, I don't think that will happen. AT&T to decide that they don't want to increase the price after all? I don't think an arbitrator has that much power, nor will that be seen as a reasonable solution. 

As I alluded to above, you should focus on what you can do (i.e. change plans or carriers) instead of being upset about what AT&T did or didn't do. You can control you; you can't control AT&T. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:

So they "fix" it for you and then what?  Properly send you the notification and switch you a month after you get the notification?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Not happy? Report it to FCC!!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Report your complaint to the FCC. This has happened before and the more complaint made the better so the FCC can look into this again. 

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

5 years ago

Already have thank you.
Arbitration also filed.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:
Already have thank you.
Arbitration also filed.

Again, what outcome are you hoping for? I can't see any circumstance where this will be worth your time and effort. .

Especially since you've chosen arbitration, where the arbitrator will probably stick to the signed agreement you made. At least if you'd chosen to deal with AT&T through a BBB or FCC complaint, you might get someone willing to give you more than you deserve just to be nice. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@Dictatemyname wrote:
Already have thank you.
Arbitration also filed.

Again, what outcome are you hoping for? I can't see any circumstance where this will be worth your time and effort. .

Especially since you've chosen arbitration, where the arbitrator will probably stick to the signed agreement you made. At least if you'd chosen to deal with AT&T through a BBB or FCC complaint, you might get someone willing to give you more than you deserve just to be nice. 

Once the person gets the upfront costs they have to do they normally realize arbitration is a bad idea.  I have went thru it and it takes a min 18 months.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

5 years ago

Give it up please.
Obvious you are not getting the point and fully support how AT&T handled
the issue.

It was not done correctly legally and it is obvious I am not the only one
that feels this way.

They need to follow proper business practices and their own legal
documentation.

I would like them to follow the above.

That is ALL I am looking for.

Have a great day and AT&T thanks you for supporting them so throughly.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:
Give it up please.
Obvious you are not getting the point and fully support how AT&T handled
the issue.

It was not done correctly legally and it is obvious I am not the only one
that feels this way.

They need to follow proper business practices and their own legal
documentation.

I would like them to follow the above.

That is ALL I am looking for.

Have a great day and AT&T thanks you for supporting them so throughly.

Depends on how you look at it..  I do say they could do a better job of listing what is changing for sure BUT they only have to do as little as possible.  Posting on ATT.com is as little as possible in most states.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.