For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
JayTX1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@IntegraRC wrote:

That’s still missing the point. The analogy you’re using includes you agreeing to the change. This agreement never happened with AT&T.    Um, wrong.  You and I agreed to it up front.  It’s the part of the terms of service that says At&t can change price and terms.  

As weird as it sounds, the public perception probably would’ve been better had they just increased the price and not given anything.

True, but then the rest who are fine with the increase because they got double data, would be screaming the got charged $10 more for no increased value in service.  

This would just reflect on the cost of inflation. But by AT&T wording it as an upgrade (and yes, they worded it as an upgrade both on my bill and on the phone), they make the customers feel as if they were forced into something they never asked for. Weird, yes, I know... but this is public perception. The sooner AT&T can realize this and act accordingly, the sooner you can see comments like this go away 😊.

At&t has its head in the sand in general.  The need to higher focus groups, not ‘yes men’.  And the fact is no business will ever make everyone happy all the time.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Um, wrong.  You and I agreed to it up front.  It’s the part of the terms of service that says At&t can change price and terms.”

I agree with you on the legal side, but we all know the public does not see it this way. Unfortunately, perception can be reality.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

True, but then the rest who are fine with the increase because they got double data, would be screaming the got charged $10 more for no increased value in service.”

So AT&T has a choice between a price increase due to inflation, or a price increase due to forcing customers to what is “perceived” as an unconsented upgrade... See where I’m getting at here?

Sorry for the multiple posts. My phone is acting really wonky in responding here. Maybe the upgraded plan would’ve resolved this had I kept it 😁

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

AT&T completely changed my plan without my permission. That's not ok. That's not just a price hike. To think otherwise is idiotic. Who says tomorrow they won't decide you "need" 50 GB of data for $1,000.There's a reason why they sent out emails instead of being upfront about the change on a bill or through a text message. Geez, send me a letter through the postal system if you have to.

Switching to T-Mobile cut my bill in half from what AT&T wanted me to pay anyway. Very happy with the switch.

I agree to pay for services for the price offered. There's a sign at the gas station letting me know the price. My electric company notifies me of any price hikes on my bill, in large attention-grabbing lettering. AT&T did an utterly poor job of notifying me, to the point of deception in my opinion.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

5 years ago

Bottom line that everyone is missing is that per AT&T's own fine print is they are required to provide 30 days notice PRIOR to implementing a price change which in my case was. It provided.

They implemented the change 2 days into my billing cycle and then pro-rated to get additional funds from me.

I am not in agreement with the way they handled this whole change but a unmonitored and unregulated company does what they want. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:

Bottom line that everyone is missing is that per AT&T's own fine print is they are required to provide 30 days notice PRIOR to implementing a price change which in my case was. It provided.

They implemented the change 2 days into my billing cycle and then pro-rated to get additional funds from me.

I am not in agreement with the way they handled this whole change but a unmonitored and unregulated company does what they want. 

People posted an email they got 2 months in advance.  Did you read all At&t email notices?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:

Look at your printed bill (or the PDF of your full bill) and check the "News You Can Use" section in your TWO bills prior to the change.

PLEASE let us know what you find OR what you don't find.

I'm guessing you'll find something like this (if you have Unlimited Choice):jKPMmgr.jpg

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

5 years ago

Thank but I review the fine print on the PDF EVERY  bill and it was not on mine.

Once again another inconsistency.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname wrote:

Thank but I review the fine print on the PDF EVERY  bill and it was not on mine.

Once again another inconsistency.

Have you since switched to another plan or carrier? If so, I think AT&T should make the adjustment, taking your word you didn't get the message. Of course, my opinion means little. 

If not, it doesn't matter. Getting the notice now didn't change anything, so there's no reason to think getting the notice a month or two ago would change anything. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Dictatemyname  What plan are you on? (the name from your bill)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.