Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

Tutor

AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

16,465 Views
Message 1 of 73
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

If you have a Mobile Share Value plan, you were not moved to a new plan. Your plan had a price increase and you also got your data doubled. You should have gotten an email but the notice was also in your bill. The most your bill should increase is $10. More info here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1324713

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 73
ACE - Sage

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

@JayTX1   

Most of the reps have no idea what’s going on with the increase.  

The increase is not $60 or any other amount or a prorated amount.  That’s an error.  Your increase is $5 or $10 only.  

If your bill shows anything other than $5 or $10 contact At&t.  

 

The cost of service plans has steadily increased over the past 3 years.  Before you quit in a huff, look at your options and test coverage.  I can’t get anything close to the data I have now without paying a lot more.  

 

     At&t switched to the model t-mobile was using successfully 5 years ago, and phased out contracts, ending that option completely 3 years ago.    It was a chance to lower my bill substantially and lock in lower prices as long as possible, knowing full well no contracts means price is not fixed.   Unfortunately the plan ended and now I’m stuck with the data amount for the last 2 years.  I’m looking forward to a data bump at a nominal cost in advance of 5G.  (5g and 5G phones are going to increase data usage).  

 

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 73
Tutor

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

I received the notice from AT&T that shows my new monthly bill will be $203.60.  My old bill was $147.04.  Based on my calculations, that’s a $56 increase.  If that’s not the correct amount, then AT&T shouldn’t be sending customers notices showing that as the new billing amount.  Plus it says this month due to proration, I will receive a bill of $278.09.  I don't know where you're getting your $10 amount from, my reference point is the AT&T notice that I received.

 

Message 4 of 73
ACE - Sage

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount


@JayTX1 wrote:

I received the notice from AT&T that shows my new monthly bill will be $203.60.  My old bill was $147.04.  Based on my calculations, that’s a $56 increase.  If that’s not the correct amount, then AT&T shouldn’t be sending customers notices showing that as the new billing amount.  Plus it says this month due to proration, I will receive a bill of $278.09.  I don't know where you're getting your $10 amount from, my reference point is the AT&T notice that I received.

 


It’s wrong.  Don’t know how more clear I can be.  Wrong, error, oops, screw up.  Wait and see your bill.

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 73
ACE - Sage

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

FYI, the supposition is they screwed up and used the customer service summary, with the full line fee of $40, didn’t include the out of contract discounts and tax is wrong.  Ignore it.  I reported these posts so that someone can fix the emails.  

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 73
Highlighted

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

I just called AT&T and was told that I was getting double data but no price increase, he assured me 3 times.  But I see in the chart that I AM getting a price increase of $5, not the $60 in the email.  They need to get their act together and not send out those erroneous emails and don't tell someone it's not a price increase when it is, even if only $5.  I just checked my bill and there was no notice of a price increase in the bill.  Maybe in the ones they send in snail mail, but not online. Been thinking of changing carriers anyway after 20+ years with them. 

Message 7 of 73
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

Just got off the phone with a Supervisor after the solution specialist was totally clueless about the plan changes that are being forced on customers.  She kept saying the same thing "But you are getting double the amount of data for only $10 a month".  My plan has been retired, nothing she can do about it. She told me at least 4 time " I don't know why you didn't get notified of the plan change, but you will be receiving a notice" - after the fact.  I told her I  didn't know how AT&T could just change your plan/rate with out advanced notice.  It doesn't make a difference if it's only $10 month and I don't need more data.  They don't know what peoples financial situation is and it's not right.   All of sudden she says "Oh, you did get notice in your March bill "(two bills ago, buried in the back of a six page bill). I pointed out that she just told me 4 times that she didn't know why get notice.  30+ years of using AT&T services. I'm disgusted with their business practices and ready for a change. Time to pay off my phones and search for a new plan. It doesn't even matter if I can get a better price or not, this is based on principle.

Message 8 of 73
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎05-29-2019 8:35 AM

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount


@Anonymous wrote:

Just got off the phone with a Supervisor after the solution specialist was totally clueless about the plan changes that are being forced on customers.  She kept saying the same thing "But you are getting double the amount of data for only $10 a month".  My plan has been retired, nothing she can do about it. She told me at least 4 time " I don't know why you didn't get notified of the plan change, but you will be receiving a notice" - after the fact.  I told her I  didn't know how AT&T could just change your plan/rate with out advanced notice.  It doesn't make a difference if it's only $10 month and I don't need more data.  They don't know what peoples financial situation is and it's not right.   All of sudden she says "Oh, you did get notice in your March bill "(two bills ago, buried in the back of a six page bill). I pointed out that she just told me 4 times that she didn't know why get notice.  30+ years of using AT&T services. I'm disgusted with their business practices and ready for a change. Time to pay off my phones and search for a new plan. It doesn't even matter if I can get a better price or not, this is based on principle.


Emails were sent in advance.  But most people either delete without reading or their filters are somehow sending to spam or trash.  As I wrote earlier, before you get upset, look at current prices.  I quoted t-mobile and Verizon prepaid and both cost more than what I’m paying for the Mobile Share Value plan.  You can choose a current plan with less data, which may be more, maybe less.  

You can be disgusted, but when carriers dropped contracts for installments, and you didn’t see this coming, you were being naive.   Both At&t and Verizon raised legacy unlimited plan prices.  Sprint has always increased prices after contracts expire.  T Mobile has consistently creeped up.  The fact is prices bottomed out 5 years ago, then started up 3 years ago.  

    Name one thing that isn’t subject to price increases?  Stamps went up this year, gas, groceries, Netflix went up.   Cost of providing services went up, so price goes up, it’s how stuff works.  

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 9 of 73
ACE - Master

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

@Anonymous, so you were provided notice, but chose not to read the bill. The rep was able to find the information on someone else’s bill during the course of the phone call WHILE talking to you. 

 

If you don’t like the new price, by all means find something that meets your needs better. Don’t just complain. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 73
Contributor

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

Similar experience to that which keeps getting dismissed as incorrect or people don't what they are talking about. I had a 15GB plan mobile share paying $130 total. It was changed to 30 GB because my plan is no longer offered and now my bill is $187. Have bill in hand. That's $57 for something I don't need or asked. So my bill as OP mentioned included the new amount plus proration for the previous month putting that new bill at $230. The notices didn't state I'd be paying $60 more. So it is clearly a lot more than $5 or $10. Have already called AT&T and just proceeded to tell me what happened i.e. they phased out my 15GB plan. Trying to figure out my options. 

Message 11 of 73
ACE - Master

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount


@BobbyBG wrote:

Similar experience to that which keeps getting dismissed as incorrect or people don't what they are talking about. I had a 15GB plan mobile share paying $130 total. It was changed to 30 GB because my plan is no longer offered and now my bill is $187. Have bill in hand. That's $57 for something I don't need or asked. So my bill as OP mentioned included the new amount plus proration for the previous month putting that new bill at $230. The notices didn't state I'd be paying $60 more. So it is clearly a lot more than $5 or $10. Have already called AT&T and just proceeded to tell me what happened i.e. they phased out my 15GB plan. Trying to figure out my options. 


Your best option right now is to read the bill. What specific charges are different from your last bill and by how much?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 73
ACE - Expert

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount


@MicCheck wrote:

@BobbyBG wrote:

Similar experience to that which keeps getting dismissed as incorrect or people don't what they are talking about. I had a 15GB plan mobile share paying $130 total. It was changed to 30 GB because my plan is no longer offered and now my bill is $187. Have bill in hand. That's $57 for something I don't need or asked. So my bill as OP mentioned included the new amount plus proration for the previous month putting that new bill at $230. The notices didn't state I'd be paying $60 more. So it is clearly a lot more than $5 or $10. Have already called AT&T and just proceeded to tell me what happened i.e. they phased out my 15GB plan. Trying to figure out my options. 


Your best option right now is to read the bill. What specific charges are different from your last bill and by how much?


130 was just the data charge it did not include the line fees...  MSV always had a 15 or 25 dollar line fee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 73
ACE - Sage

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount


@BobbyBG wrote:

Similar experience to that which keeps getting dismissed as incorrect or people don't what they are talking about. I had a 15GB plan mobile share paying $130 total. It was changed to 30 GB because my plan is no longer offered and now my bill is $187. Have bill in hand. That's $57 for something I don't need or asked. So my bill as OP mentioned included the new amount plus proration for the previous month putting that new bill at $230. The notices didn't state I'd be paying $60 more. So it is clearly a lot more than $5 or $10. Have already called AT&T and just proceeded to tell me what happened i.e. they phased out my 15GB plan. Trying to figure out my options. 


And the information from AT&T is this:   https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1324713

Compare bills to see where the changes are.  

 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 73

Re: AT&T changes your plan without notice and sends an incorrect new billing amount

I haven't received the notice yet or the increase,but I'm curious as to what will happen to my bill.

I was originally on the 15GB MSV plan for $100.00 and received a bonus of 5GB. Still billed $100.00, but listed on my account as 20GB MSV plan.

They list the 15GB MSV plan at $100.00 and $130.00 and list the 20GB MSV plan at $140.00 and $150.00.

Will they change me to the 30GB plan  for $110.00 or charge me $140.00?

Another scenario will they change me to the 40GB plan and charge me $110.00, $140.00, $150.00 or $160.00?

Anybody have any clue what will happen?

 

Bill

Message 15 of 73
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support