Helpful Links

AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Contributor

AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

Message 1 of 151
Tutor

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

Brian, I had the exact same thing happen, they are stating they received the box but no phone.  $542.00 being charged.  I have tried everything the post office states untimely filing of tampering claim due to not knowing until I received the bill approx. 45 days later.  I put the phone in the box.  Clearly their pictures show a slice and extra tape, along with the box itself being opened on the side.  But the warranty dept. keeps telling me "that's my opinion from someone outside of at&t"  Which by the way they aren't even a part of since AT&T states I have to deal with their 3rd party warranty department.  I have spoke to so many people that just don't care.  I have been told to return the phone and I won't be charged.  Really if that isn't falsely acusing someone.  I put the phone in the box, and sealed it with their tape.  I even requested for over a month to blacklist the phone.  They keep saying it hasn't been used.  So I am being charged for a non working phone, with no battery and no back cover.  Have you had any success?

Message 91 of 151
Tutor

Re: AT&amp;T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&amp;T reps say I

I have tried and tried to get them to acknowledge my box was tampered with you can see was slit on top and the side flaps are clearly hanging open.  Why would they both be opened.  DUH mail tampering.  $542.00 and hours and a month of calls and still no where.

Message 92 of 151
Contributor

Re: AT&amp;T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&amp;T reps say I

So this is even more warped.

I bought a phone, died in a day.  Sent me a refurbed phone (which considering the first phone was only a week old, was not right either) and it dies in 3 days.  So i have two dead phones now.

Following explicit instructions, sent the original dead phone using an emailed label customer care sent me, and the dead warranty phone as a DOA back to the warranty department using the label that came in the box.  I should have taken a copy of the warranty label, but I didnt think to, I've never had issues before.  I wish i had seen this thread first.

Weeks and weeks later, they finally say they got it... but they only have one phone.  Oh crap.

But get this, I give them the tracking number and they confirm thats the box they got, but the warranty department says they got their phone back.  So they confirm that they have one box and the other phone??? 

I'm giving it one last go to see if they can resolve this, but otherwise, I'm dropping everything, even my cable\internet. 

Moral of the story?  Be suspicious of everything, get receipts, make copies, record tracking numbers... its sad.

Message 93 of 151
Tutor

Do NOT give up.  It may take 2 months.  BTW the people on here that say that can help and work for ATT are no help.  Don't waste your time.  Call the warranty department get both tracking numbers, they have them.   Tell them you want the tracking website sent to you.  I have filed my paperwork but it is through newgistics or something like that.  NOT USPS.  Tell them you want them to report that missing phone stolen.  So no one can use it.  Get pictures of the box.  I am going by memory but did you send two boxes or one?   DO NOT GIVE UP.  Do NOT let them get away with doing this to you.  It took me 90 days to get my money back.  MY BOX WAS Clearly tampered, but it took the right person with a brain in warranty to finally open their eyes and look. 

Message 94 of 151
Contributor

Hi I got the same situation they sent me the replacement...

Hi I got the same situation they sent me the replacement phone Wednesday sept 10 but then I don't need it anymore so I decided to send back the phone the phone that was sent to me and I mailed it Saturday sept 13 in postal annex and now I received an email that they haven't received the replacement and I'm trying to track the tracking number in the paper that's inside the package and I went to the postal annex to check buy they said nothing is in there even in their system.. I don't know what to do I don't want to get charge for $500..
Message 95 of 151
Contributor

Re: Hi I got the same situation they sent me the replacement...

Is AT&T phone handeling department a joke? OR A SCAM.

I 'sold back' my iphone for a credit through AT&T's trade-in-program and this evening got a letter sealed in a plastive USPS envelope saying: we regret damage to your device during shipping."

What's weird is that the package itself was from ATT...so clearly the phone made it there.  So where the is my phone?  

Then they send me another pre-paid label to send ANOTHER phone in the mail.  Is this a scam where they pretend to receive a damaged unit, then just steal it?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Message 96 of 151
Contributor

Re: Hi I got the same situation they sent me the replacement...

I am having the same issues. I used AT&T Warranty Packaging and returned the phone by dropping it off at USPS.  I received notice on July 14 that they had not received the phone so I called. I spoke with Matthew Miller and was told they could see the phone was received but not logged in and to give it a few days.  Well, it is now October 14 and they have no record of the phone being properly logged and want me to pay $584.  I have consistently spoken to somebody every couple of days - I actually spoke to 7 people on 10/10. Long story short, I am so disgusted with fighting with AT&T, I tried to return the replacement phone and they won't let me.  I am now on  hold..... again..... trying to get some type of resolution.  14 years as a customer, no missed payments and this is the treatment I receive.  I loathe AT&T and wish there was somebody with the actual power to help me.  

Message 97 of 151
Teacher

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

This is very strange as I too am being charged 539 for a phone that ATT claim was not in the box. I got help from the rep at Conyers post office in Atlanta with reference to tape. I packed the box.. Sent off as instructed.
I received a text and was told that device is scanned and on the way. Three months after my account is billed 1078 for 2 devices. After 8 phone calls and 5hours 15 minutes of phone call and being on hold one charge was removed but the other still stands as they received an empty box!!!!!!
I am currently in deliberation with them whilst getting disrespected by representatives and blatant being called liar. I will be taking this to consumer affairs and better business bureaus as so many persons could not be having the same empty box problem. Check the internet... Google and see the flood do customers with the same problem in. Pollo elation with ATT community . Thieves
Message 98 of 151
Tutor

Re: AT

Did you see the photos. Does the box look like how shipped. Point out the fact if looks tampered. This box weighs 2.9 ounces. Did you get proof of weight at post office. Use that too

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Message 99 of 151
Teacher

Re: AT

I demanded to see the pictures... And one person sent it to me.. It's is greatly obvious that the box was tampered... All three pictures clearly indicate that..

I pointed it out to them and they say the box was empty. This is the basis upon which they are making there decision.. The box was empty and the contract states device must be in the box..
I have one day to go before being totally disconnected.. And my credit ruin. The credit that I am just building after moving here 1.7 years
Message 100 of 151
Tutor

Report to BBB

Report to BBB
Message 101 of 151
Contributor

Oh yea, I just paid the first half of $579 for the Assurion claiming they did not get the phone I sent back to them. I spent more than 6 hours on the phone in October and all they did was put it off till this month_ Nov 18th, then i spend 5 1/2 hours on the phone with more than 12 people and no one could do a thing about it. Finally got in touch with one of the Supers and he told me that one of the digits were off on the tracking number I had, (I was stupid enough to drop it into a UPS drop box; yet I have used the same drop box in the past without any problems)

I was so angry that I wanted to drag everything AT&T has in this house including the Uverse equipment into the driveway and drive over all of it call them and tell them to come get the junk.

Next month I pay the other half which is another $300. Great Extortion outfit.

Message 102 of 151
Contributor

I am another victim of this obvious scam AT&T is willingly and actively participating in. I returned the SECOND defective phone warranty claims had sent us. The first time I count myself very lucky because everything went very smoothly. The second time I became yet another victim in their trap. I hand delivered the package to the clerk at my local post office on 12/22/14. A week later I received a message stating my phone was not received. I immediately called AT&T to investigate the whereabouts of te phone. I spoke with a CSR who assured me that the phone had been received successfully and that it needed to be logged into the warranty department's system. She stated that I received an automated message and to disregard it, which I did. I received no further communications from AT&T or the warranty department. I just received my bill and found a $419.99 charge so I immediately called AT&T. After over an hour on hold while that CSR, her manager and the warranty department investigated the charge. At the end of the conversation the CSR indicated that I would receive a credit in the next few business days. After waiting several days and not receiving the credit I as promised I called AT&T,
Message 103 of 151
Contributor

PRIOR POST CONTINUED...I called AT&T to find out why I didn't receive the credit they agreed to on 2/20/15. Now they've changed their story, numerous times. I've been told the phone was received ok....the phone was the wrong IMEI #....the package was lost or destroyed in shipping....they never received a package at all!?! No one has the nerve to admit that they've made a mistake and I'm being charged for it. I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, the FCC and the FTC today. I will be contacting our state's attorney general next. I refuse to pay for a defective phone that I returned months ago. This thread makes it very clear that I'm certainly not the first victim and I'm sure I won't be the last! This will end my relationship with AT&T and I will make sure I let others know how poorly AT&T handles it's business and treats their customers. SHAMEFUL!!!!
Message 104 of 151
Tutor

It's like my story except my bill is 570 no one wants to help. I've even threatened to terminate my services and they told me what the amount would be. It's like they want me to leave and been a customer for over 20 years. I'm losing faith. I've sent some emails out we shall see if anything happens. But I've called in over 7 times now reached out to newgistic,the social media manager, vp of customer relations and now I'm looking into complaints to the BBB and arbitration and they'll probably suspend my service when though I was told I had until the 23rd of April before I'd see it on the bill even though it's s showing up as past due. I'm just beside myself. I've been so upset about this.
Message 105 of 151
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support