AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Contributor

AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

Message 1 of 137 (52,800 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

Hi there, I got your PM and will respond soon. Thanks!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 31 of 137 (5,762 Views)
Contributor

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

add me to the list of people who have not returned their phone, according to ATT.

I followed the steps.  i even took a picture of the box with the return label on it.  Inside was a defective phone that is of ZERO value to me.

It's been almost 2 weeks now and the newgistics site has no record of my return.  I work on a college campus that has its own post office and I dropped the box off there. 

I will fight tooth and nail to not be charged for a phone that I do no have in my possession. 

Message 32 of 137 (5,722 Views)
ACE - Professor

davemark wrote:

add me to the list of people who have not returned their phone, according to ATT.

I followed the steps.  i even took a picture of the box with the return label on it.  Inside was a defective phone that is of ZERO value to me.

It's been almost 2 weeks now and the newgistics site has no record of my return.  I work on a college campus that has its own post office and I dropped the box off there. 

I will fight tooth and nail to not be charged for a phone that I do no have in my possession. 

Unless a charge has appeared on your bill, there's no reason to worry or get upset. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 137 (5,710 Views)
Former Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hey Dave,

Thank you for your private message.  We received it and replied.  We look forward to helping you resolve your concerns regarding the return of the equipment.

Regards,

Phillisa on behalf of Jam
Community Manager

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 34 of 137 (5,705 Views)

Add me to the list. Recently ported over from Verizon to AT&T and got an iPhone. I also purchased a Lumia 920 at full price (use it from time to time to test Win Phone 8 apps). My Lumia 920 stopped reading my SIM card and AT&T sent me a replacement with instructions to return the defective device using this third-party SmartLabel company. 

I dropped the phone off on the 4th of this month. Tracking it online doesn't even show that it was dropped off. I have a picture of the box packed and ready to ship, but unfortunately, I do not have a receipt showing I dropped it off at the post office - I just handed it over to the lady at the counter and she said I was good to go. 

I've already started receiving emails and text messages about this. This is becoming a nightmare. 

Message 35 of 137 (5,632 Views)
Tutor

No doubt this is a terrible experience for all of us.  I made a full retail purchase of a one x+, decided not to keep it and sent it back less than a week after receiving it.  I returned on the 25th of February--did get a receipt from USPS after looking at the label and trying to upgrade the method.  I was able to track one of the labels on USPS and it shows that it was processed by an agent 4 days later, but who knows at this point.  I have a $650 phone floating with no way of knowing when it will arrive--much less be refunded or potentially questioned about the return dates due to the process.

Message 36 of 137 (5,577 Views)
Guru

My wife had to return her phone under warranty, they sent out a replacement the Feb14th and we were able to track it. Received it the 20th, packed old phone and took it to the post office and handed it to them the 21st at noon. Was never able to track returned phone, it was as if it had never been mailed. Went back to post office the 25th and was told to contact at&t, we called at&t and they began looking into it. We got a email from at&t today March 5th saying they had received the defective device. I have no idea what went wrong, if it was the post office or the tracking company. Even after at&t started looking into it I was never able to track device with tracking numbers given us.
Message 37 of 137 (5,564 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I figured I'd come back and update on mine.  I received notice of ATT receiving the device(email) and then got one when my credit was issued back to me.  So for me--from the date I returned to the day I received my money back was 11 days of which only 8 were business days. Job well done.  Good luck to others.  To note--I'd much rather have reliable door to door tracking like fedex or ups even if it cost me a little...some peace of mind would be nice.

Message 38 of 137 (5,540 Views)
Expert

cdd543 wrote:

I figured I'd come back and update on mine.  I received notice of ATT receiving the device(email) and then got one when my credit was issued back to me.  So for me--from the date I returned to the day I received my money back was 11 days of which only 8 were business days. Job well done.  Good luck to others.  To note--I'd much rather have reliable door to door tracking like fedex or ups even if it cost me a little...some peace of mind would be nice.

Have a habit for any returned item even if they pay for return shipping - if it is not fedex or ups I pick up the cost out of my own pocket to ship it back so I have a accurate tracking status - especially if it is a USPS return label

Message 39 of 137 (5,538 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

You can add me to the list of ATT phone replacement return fiasco.
I went to the Post Office (3/6/13)and dropped off the defective return (s3) in a mail box for packages. I have been trying to track since Wednesday night. I just got a text from ATT that they have NOT received my defective device.   

I even called ATT warranty customer service and they said they have had people call in before and complain about the whole return process.   The person revealed to me that the tracking number doesn't get updated in the newgistics.com system until the item is received.     When ATT mailed me the replacement device, they told me I would be charged $799 if the device wasn't returned in 10 days.  

Message 40 of 137 (5,503 Views)
Former Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry for the confusion. The message received with the device is a standard message. 

If you would like to follow up on this though, you're welcome to send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

Message 41 of 137 (5,503 Views)
Tutor

Hi jamileh.

I private messaged you. I mistyped in my previous post. ATT texted me that they have NOT received my defective device. Also, newgistics.com has no trace in their system of the device I sent via USPS on 3/6.
Message 42 of 137 (5,485 Views)
Former Community Manager

Ahh, I see. Want me to fix that typo for you?

Thanks for the PM, the team will reply today. 

--------------

Message 43 of 137 (5,477 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your response. I fixed the typo already.
Message 44 of 137 (5,455 Views)
Former Community Manager

Ok. I edited mine to so I don't look like a fool. Smiley Happy

--------------

Message 45 of 137 (5,447 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.