AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Contributor

AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

Message 1 of 138 (53,119 Views)
Voyager

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

Ugh. I'm really praying something good happens (AKA it's delivered without problems). I can already say that I've had lots of bad AT&T Reps. Sometimes they don't even answer my questions. It's like they are robots.
Message 61 of 138 (3,797 Views)
Voyager

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

I got a text this morning from at&t regarding that my device wasn't returned to the warehouse and they told me to track it. However, when I received the package of my new factory copy phone on July 13th, I didn't receive a tracking number for the returned device. I did return it on Sunday, July 13th to a USPS, however I am kind of worried that I may get charged $300 for a defective device even though I returned it. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Message 62 of 138 (3,770 Views)
Teacher

So what is the best method to return the phone? I will be doing this soon myself and do not want to be charged $500.

Message 63 of 138 (3,677 Views)
Expert

limeybtrd wrote:

So what is the best method to return the phone? I will be doing this soon myself and do not want to be charged $500.

personnolly I would take the address off of the USPS label and take it to fedex or UPS and pick up the dime to ship it back with damage insurance

Message 64 of 138 (3,662 Views)
Voyager

I also have the same problem and I'm an international student which i don't have $500 to pay for someone that I don't want. Can somebody help me with this problem? I did send the defected device on august and I just found out that the product isn't returned. Help me with this problem please
Message 65 of 138 (3,520 Views)
Contributor

I can't take it anymore, I cried for an hour on the phone with ATT today. I'm a student and they're charing me $434 for a device I mailed back over a month ago! I followed the return instructions and dropped it in the post office. They say they never received my package and that newgistics company has no record of my phone either. ATT Warranty deparment keeps literally repeating the same sentence to me like a broken record. "We have no record of your return, please contact your post office." When I ask them who this newgistics company is they say "we can't answer that". Literally said "We can't answer that"!! That's great so you steal $434 from me and then tell me you can't tell me who the company in charge of documenting my return is? 

I asked the rep if they have a phone number to Newgistics, his response was "We don't have that information, you can probably look it up on the Internet". Like are you FBI or CIA and why on earth are you talking to me like this??? The return tracking number doesn't work in the USPS website. I can't take it anymore and don't know what to do. I'm a student and can't just go pay $434 for a phone I don't have! Please HELP!

Message 66 of 138 (3,391 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, Tati1321!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience returning a device. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can investigate further.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 67 of 138 (3,358 Views)
Contributor

So can i get a replacement even If the phone is not on service
Message 68 of 138 (3,339 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I am also experiencing this issue.  I requested a warrantied replacement device on 12/11, and it was processed & shipped to me on 12/12.  The replacement device arrived on Wednesday, 12/18, and I returned my defective device in person at my local USPS location on Friday, 12/20, using the provided packaging and prepaid shipping label.

Today is Friday, 12/27, and after a week, there is still no record of my provided tracking number at the Newgistics website.  Yesterday, on 12/26, I received an automated e-mail that AT&T has still not received my defective device after 14 days.

I understand that mail traffic is likely quite congested around this time of year, but to have the tracking number return not the slightest indication that it's currently in transit (or even received at all) is quite worrying.

Message 69 of 138 (3,240 Views)
Tutor

As of today, 01/07/14, the tracking number still returns no results.  It has been nearly three weeks since I dropped the return package off at USPS.

On 12/30/13 (8 days ago,) I called AT&T's warranty claims department, and was told that this is "not uncommon at all."  I was advised to wait 1.5 - 2 weeks, and if the tracking number has still not shown any change, to call back.

Message 70 of 138 (3,167 Views)
Tutor

Today, on 01/08/14, my tracking information finally updated for the first time.  The device is just now leaving Atlanta, GA for Fort Worth, TX.

Message 71 of 138 (3,153 Views)
Community Manager

Hello, ericiidx!

Thanks for posting an update. I'm glad your tracking information finally updated. I know it can be frustrating, especially when holidays disrupt the normal shipping flow.

We hope to continue to see you around the forums!

As always, feel free to message me with any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 72 of 138 (3,153 Views)
Contributor

I had my htc one replaced under warranty and the replacement did not work so I got a second replacement.

I dropped off the first replacement and the tracking number did not appear on the newgistics site for several days. I was worried and googling brought me here. It finally appeared after 6 days.

Anyway I hope this information is useful to someone. Before I dropped off the second phone I made a copy of the shipping label. I noticed the shipping label had two tracking numbers - one for newgistics and the second, a USPS tracking number. I got a receipt from USPS. On checking the USPS using the second tracking number it showed up as received at the post office. This should serve as proof  even if newgistics messes up.

Message 73 of 138 (3,124 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I'm surprised why ATT is not able to pull up the USPS tracking number to verify if it was indeed mailed.
Message 74 of 138 (3,119 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am also experiencing the same situation.  Requested replacement on 28 Dec 13, received email from ATT my order was shipped on the 29th of Dec 2013.  I finally received the phone on January 4, 2014. On January 6, 2014,  I followed the directions sent with my new phone, packaged the defective phone up in the same box provided with the shipping label.  Instructions said cut bottom portion of tracking info and include in the box, which I did, affixed label provided by newgistics(att).  I have the tracking number provided telling me to track through newgistics.com.  I tookk it to the UPS store a local FEDEX, USPS, DHL and UPS postal facility.  however, I check daily and still website says no tracking info found.  I went to the postal facility I took it too and they told me the don't scan items for return though DHL global/USPS.  The local post office picks up the mail daily and takes it to their sort facility.  Spoke to post office who says they do pick up mail daily from the facility however, it is taken to their main facility for sorting and they cannot check without a USPS tracking number.  They also told me that due weather it could be held up in the warehouse.  In addition, I tried tracking throuh DHL global mail whom I received the tracking status update from through AT&T and they say on their website, "No results, we wish to inform you that a number of packages may experience delayed or missing tracking information.  Continue to check this tracking page for the latest update.  Please accept our apologies." Spoke to DHL who said they were unable to track the package and I should contact AT&T and let them know DHL cannot track it.   I checked the DHL website on 9 January and it said they were closed until 8 January with limited hours due to weather and that there would be some delivery delays.  Spoke to ATT with the details of my searching for tracking and am expecting a call back this afternoon.  In reading the forum responses here I see where this happens obviously alot.  AT&T needs to find a better way of returning defective equipment.  I have been a loyal ATT customer for 20 years and don't expect this kind of thing for such a reputable company.  I am not going to entertain the thought of having to pay for something I clearly returned and still have my tracking receipt given to me by ATT/newgistisc. I am truly frustrated with this process.  Please help.  Who the heck is newgistics and why does ATT use them and is there a way to contact newgisitcs to get the additional USPS tracking number that may/may not be on the shipping label?

Message 75 of 138 (3,085 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.