AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

Contributor

AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be charged $390

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone. I just got into the same situation. So there is a huge possibility I will be sent a bill for the lost return. Judging from this thread looks like noone has been able to resolve the problem and it is pretty much pointless to argue with these guys.

If and when I will get charged for the lost phone I will not under any circumstances pay this amount. So my question is: Will I be able to continue using AT&T service and my data plan and most importantly how will it affect my account  upgrades in the future with this outstanding amount.

I'd really hate to terminate AT&T contract ( I have 4 lines, mine is a smartphone) But if AT&T will limit my upgrade eligibility and or my data use or anything on my account I will be forced to terminate the contract. If that happens I'm not  going to pay the termination fee either and I don't really care about the consequences of such action. So this is not an issue for me.

Thank you.

Edit:

I see my post has been moved to another/new thread

So to make a lost story short: mailed a defective unit back to ATT and it got lost in the mail. Not able to track it on newgistic at all.

AT&T says will charge $390 for the lost return device.

<new post created, subject edited>

Message 1 of 138 (53,221 Views)
Former Community Manager

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

Please take a look at my reply above and send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 138 (47,252 Views)
Contributor

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return lost in the mail. AT&T reps say I will be

Thanks so much for your reply.

Message 17 of 138 (47,231 Views)
Former Community Manager

Sure thing, I hope we're able to get this sorted out for you. I know it's frustrating. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 138 (47,219 Views)
Community Support

Hi, I received your PM and responded with my status. I will call you asap with my findings. ATTGeofL
AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button. We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Message 19 of 138 (47,181 Views)
Voyager

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement, defective unit return broken during shipping to AT&T. AT&T reps say

Similar problem. I feel like i have been scammed.

I brought my daughters phone to an at&t repair center because the earphone jack was not working. As the phone was under the 1st year warranty they said they would mail a new one to my house overnight. I received the new phone and shipped the defective one to at&t. About a week later i received the phone back in the mail with a letter saying they received it with a broken screen and it was my responsibility to pay for it. I tried to resolve this over the phone, over an hour of being passed around from one department to another at&t . Then i gave up and sent a written letter explaining why i dont believe i owe anything for the phone as the screen damage must have occured in the mail. When it left my posession the only problem with it was the earphone jack didn't work. My written letter requeseted a written response, I never got one. Today i received an  email saying that my service would be cut off unless i pay the $331.67 for the phone. Tried again to resolve it by phone, basically they said too bad , I have to pay for it. I will pay it but i will not renew anything with AT&T once my contracts are up. I have 4 phones, uverse internet, and TV and have been a customer for a long time.

Message 20 of 138 (47,007 Views)
Voyager

i have just return my RMA Phone yesterday before i found this topic. I dropped it off my USPS office close to my house, and thought it was it until i found this tread.

Any idea what i should do now? i really dont want to get stuck in this loop. Really hoping not to get charged a 500 for a defective phone.

Please any advise will be appreciated.

Message 21 of 138 (46,831 Views)
Former Community Manager

This is not a common occurrence, so please don't be too concerned. 

It's best to keep verification (like a receipt) so you have proof that it was dropped off to be sent back. 

--------------

Message 22 of 138 (46,827 Views)
Voyager

the post officer does not provide me with any form of receipt. She just told me to give her the box and i could walk away. But i still have the original paper at&t gave me. I am not sure if this will be enough if anything ever occur.

But let's hope things turn out to be ok.

Message 23 of 138 (46,820 Views)
Highlighted
Voyager

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement

I have received my replacement device 2 days back. I have to send the defective phone in the box provided. But after reading all this things I am worried if I could be a victim of this. Is it fine if I handover the defective device in any nearest ATT store.??

Please let me know.

Message 24 of 138 (46,601 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: AT&T Phone Replacement

skumarg77 wrote:

I have received my replacement device 2 days back. I have to send the defective phone in the box provided. But after reading all this things I am worried if I could be a victim of this. Is it fine if I handover the defective device in any nearest ATT store.??

Please let me know.

Unless you bought a phone at the AT&T store, handing a phone to a store employee rather than following the return instructions included is the surest way to cause problems.

Return the original device as instructed. Like Jamileh said, phones "going missing" is rare and shouldn't be anything for you to worrying about.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 138 (46,552 Views)
Contributor

I encountered this issue with my coorporate phone. I returned my device but ATT says they have not received it. They went ahead and charged my coorporate card. I am in deep trouble because of this. I tried to locate the shipment with tracking number but of no use. This issue is creating lot of distress at my work. I am trying hard to resolve this issue but it is going no where. My boss is very upset with me.

Message 26 of 138 (46,260 Views)
Former Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear this. Will you please send me a private message with your name, account number (if you have it), the name of the company you work for, your phone number and the best time to contact you?

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

Message 27 of 138 (46,256 Views)
Voyager

In response to:

"Return the original device as instructed. Like Jamileh said, phones "going missing" is rare and shouldn't be anything for you to worrying about"

I doubt that this actually a rare occurence, judging by the ineptness of the people they have supporting their customers i am surprised  most of them can find their way to work. Notice how once i said i would pay for my phone noone has responded or cared about my problem.

Message 28 of 138 (46,228 Views)
Former Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Have you PM'd me as recommended multiple times in this thread? If not, please do so. Here are instructions:

Please send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you. Include any other relevant or helpful info that you have. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.
with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you. Please include any other information you feel is relevant or might be helpful. 

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

--------------

Message 29 of 138 (46,223 Views)
Voyager

I am having the same issues.  I sent you a PM, can you please suggest next steps?

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 30 of 138 (46,165 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.