Need help understanding your bill?
thomascgty's profile
Associated Member

Associated Member

• 

126 Messages

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014 12:36 AM

AT&T Next: Do I need to return the phone?

Quick questions.

• If I upgrade a phone using AT&T Next, then do I need to return the old phone?
  • Assuming I upgraded using my first AT&T Next. Later on, I decided to use AT&T Next again. Will I need to return my phone purchased through my first AT&T Next to qualify for using the second AT&T Next?
  • I am currently on a "family" plan and one of the additional lines. Can I keep my current number if I decided to have my own account with myself as the account holder?

Thanks!

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Torirambo Yes, you can trade in but you don’t get any money for it. The only trade in value is the remaining Next plan payments for the Samsung you won’t have to make.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

If you upgrade at the 12 (for Next 12) or 18 (for Next 18) month marks, you will have to turn your phone in.  This keeps going for each time you hit the upgrade point and want to upgrade using Next again.

You can do a transfer of billing responsibility for your line and keep your number.  Be aware that in most cases of ToBR, you will lose any grandfathered services and features that you have on your line now.

Associated Member

• 

126 Messages

10 years ago

If I keep my phone even after the 18 month on the Next 18, then will I still be billed until the retail balance is paid off?

Assuming the phone's retail balance is fully paid, and I use the Next18 again, then am I required to return my old phone?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you pay your phone off in FULL, then you can keep the phone. If you want to upgrade after the 18 months but before the phone is paid off, then you must return the phone.

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

If you are going to transfer the number into your name you will want to make sure the device is paid off first or you won't be able to do a transfer of billing. As long as you're finished paying for the device on next you should be able to transfer just fine, just make sure the account holder is with you if you decide to go that route at the store as they will have to sign a transfer of billing. 

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

@thomascgty wrote:

If I keep my phone even after the 18 month on the Next 18, then will I still be billed until the retail balance is paid off?

Yes.

@thomascgty wrote:

Assuming the phone's retail balance is fully paid, and I use the Next18 again, then am I required to return my old phone?

No.

If you turn your phone in, then either A) the remainder of the payments are forgiven after 18months, or B) you will recieve money back to help with your next phone or the bill.

-Alex

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

What about say I no longer want the device can't afford to keep it. Can I send it back now and get remaining taken off my bill

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@limitnsqueakerz No, that is not an option. You can only trade in if buying a new phone on Next. If you can't afford the phone, you can sell it yourself and use the proceeds to pay off the balance.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Ok one last question. If I trade it in do I keep the remaining balance if the new phone is cheaper

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@limitnsqueakerz No.  If you trade it in and get a new phone, you start a new Next plan and your old Next plan is paid off by the trade in. Your payments will be based on the price of the new phone. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.