Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Insurance claim replacement phone upgrade

Contributor

AT&T Insurance claim replacement phone upgrade

I just lost my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, which has insurance on it. I want a new iPhone, and want to know if I can upgrade (via the insurance claim), from my old S5 to a new iPhone (maybe 6?).

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by benh1234
‎07-11-2016 10:35 AM

Re: AT&T Insurance claim replacement phone upgrade

Insurance is covered through Asurion, not ATT.

Insurance coverage replaces your phone with payment of the deductible, with an identical model, or a similar one if it is not available.  

No you cannot upgrade.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (2)
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

No, the insurace gives you a replacement of what you lost.  If they provided "upgrades" people would lose them all the time.

And your insurance is probably through Asurion, not AT&T, they're just collecting the money for you.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution". This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

Could I maybe pay extra? I don't have an upgrade right now but am willing to pay - I don't like the phone that I have right now.

Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

Pay extra to who? As already explained, the insurance company provides a replacement, they don't do upgrades. 

Message 5 of 10
Contributor

if at&t just take the money what if a agent mess up your insurane by droping it and put back on. on the same date and then its mess up your discount for all a year

Message 6 of 10

Its a racket, I upgraded a line on my account on 4-10-17, it was stolen.   I Added insurance to the upgrade, when I tried to put a claim in for the stolen phone, I find out that the insurance coverage will not be active until 6-5-17.   But I will be paying for the insurance and cant put a claim in, what a bunch of you know what

Message 7 of 10
Contributor

My phone won’t stay charged! I am 8 months pregnant and I need my phone!

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Sage

So pick up a cheap phone off the prepaid rack and swap your SIM card into it.  If your phone is insured you can file a claim with Asurion. https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 9 of 10
Contributor

Hi I just got a new phone through insurance with a new SIM card. Someone helped me set it up but my phone isn’t allowing me to make or receive calls and I can only get messages through iMessage 

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support