For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
JNBW4L's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 10th, 2017 1:19 PM

AT&T Front Office Negligence

Thank you very much. "Front office" of AT&T for denying us that our 2nd line be put back on the grandfathered plan that it was originally on 15+ years back. When I first got my 2 phone lines with Cingular they were both the old grandfathered plan with unlimited data like I still have to this day and to be denied my other line go back on it really frustrates me. Seeing as how my local store agent assured me 100% that they would approve this since it was our original plan to start with. She also advised she knew of a few cases where the "front office" or "higher up's" approved changes for situations not as dire as ours. For a while my second line didn't need the unlimited data but now it does. We have a son in the military now and he's overseas and his mother likes to video chat with him and I'm not going to deny her that. Wifi or home internet is not an option so unlimited data on that line was our only hope. I've begged and pleaded with everyone and said we have a unique situation an emergency situation to where my second line is going to use more data and we need Unlimited!!! We have just gotten our first email stating we are nearing the data limit. WOW! We tried to tell you. The first time I get an overage charge I will go with another phone company and I've been with you all for years. There are too many companies offering unlimited everything these days for much lower than what I pay per month. I'm just old-fashioned in that I like to stick with something that I have had good luck with but believe me I'm open to new things. Thanks again, seriously. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

7 years ago

@JNBW4L wrote:
Thank you very much. "Front office" of AT&T for denying us that our 2nd line be put back on the grandfathered plan that it was originally on 15+ years back. When I first got my 2 phone lines with Cingular they were both the old grandfathered plan with unlimited data like I still have to this day and to be denied my other line go back on it really frustrates me. Seeing as how my local store agent assured me 100% that they would approve this since it was our original plan to start with. She also advised she knew of a few cases where the "front office" or "higher up's" approved changes for situations not as dire as ours. For a while my second line didn't need the unlimited data but now it does. We have a son in the military now and he's overseas and his mother likes to video chat with him and I'm not going to deny her that. Wifi or home internet is not an option so unlimited data on that line was our only hope. I've begged and pleaded with everyone and said we have a unique situation an emergency situation to where my second line is going to use more data and we need Unlimited!!! We have just gotten our first email stating we are nearing the data limit. WOW! We tried to tell you. The first time I get an overage charge I will go with another phone company and I've been with you all for years. There are too many companies offering unlimited everything these days for much lower than what I pay per month. I'm just old-fashioned in that I like to stick with something that I have had good luck with but believe me I'm open to new things. Thanks again, seriously. 

You never explained how you "lost" unlimited data in the first place. Was it a choice to have it removed at some point? If so, then you will not get it back. Was it removed in error last week? Then you might have an argument. 

I'm curious why home internet is not an option? It seems like that would be a great solution to the issue. You might also look at adding AT&T TV service (UVerse or Direct TV) and thus qualifying for one of the new unlimited plans. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

How was unlimited data lost on the line?   Did you split the account and move that second line off onto its own plan?   Did you change/upgrade from a basic phone?  

Over the years "unlimited"  plans changed.  The original unlimited plan was for basic phones.  The unlimited plan for smartphones had to be added before unlimited plan ended in 2010.

If she had an old unlimited plan with a basic phone, and upgraded to a smartphone after the unlimited plan was terminated, she would be moved off the basic phone unlimited plan, onto a tiered plan for smartphones. No option.  

So your line has unlimited?  Why not have the wife video chat on that line?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Yes we did away with the unlimited on the 2nd line I'm not sure when but I'm certain it was before 2010. Of course at that time we were told that anytime we wanted to swap back we could but like you said things changed after 2010. I was not aware of it. Now I'm just recently becoming aware of it. I just really didn't want to have to go somewhere else but I'm going to have to have unlimited so it looks like I have no other option on my end also. She is not able to use my phone because I travel for work and I am gone for several weeks at a time. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JNBW4L wrote:
Yes we did away with the unlimited on the 2nd line I'm not sure when but I'm certain it was before 2010. Of course at that time we were told that anytime we wanted to swap back we could but like you said things changed after 2010. I was not aware of it. Now I'm just recently becoming aware of it. 

They don't offer the plan any more, as long as they offered it you could swap back.  

That was seven years ago! Did you think the salesperson meant you'd be able to get that plan back forever

The first time I get an overage charge I will go with another phone company and I've been with you all for years.

If you have a data plan that's not large enough, you will get overages. Make sure you have enough data on it.

You choose how much data you have on you plan. Choose wisely!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Okay, this isn't some ATT conspiracy, it's just the way it is since 2010.  Both and Verizon and ATT stopped offering unlimited data.   

Do you have ATT TV service?  Either Uverse or direct TV?   If you did, it would mean she can get the new unlimited data plan, or you should reconsider getting home wifi.  Home wifi is dirt cheap compared with cellular. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

We understand what all the options are available to us. I've been on the phone and chat with customer service serval times. Plus I visited my local store a few times. We've went over it and over it and home WiFi would not do us any good. She travels for work also and so do I but she hasn't started traveling until recently that's why we haven't needed unlimited but we do now. We neither one have laptops all we have electronic wise are the cell phones. Also not that it's relevant but when I say we travel for work. I don't mean the plush travel accommodations like you would imagine in your mind we're not business people we're not in a five-star hotel with WiFi every night I'd say 85% of our time is spent somewhere that does not even offer WiFi. Hopefully now you'll understand why it's an emergency that we have it and we have no other option. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JNBW4L In all likelyhood, you're not going to get the old unlimited back, I'd say "never going to get it" but I don't like to say never. It's hard for people to get it back after 60 days when there is a glitch, you gave it up 7 years ago, it's not going to happen.

How much data do you use on a busy month on your Unlimited plan?

Double that and get an estimate on a shared data plan for the both of you.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@JNBW4L   I get it.  This brings up another problem.  If you both travel in places with no public wifi, then you are also traveling in areas too remote to switch to T-mobile because the don't have good coverage.   

So your best option is to do some math.

option 1:  what would a big shared data plan cost you?   https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html. (30 gig plan and 2 lines with tax would be roughly $185). 

as opposed to

option 2:  add a basic TV package, Uverse or satellite Direct TV so you can both get the new unlimited plan.  Direct TV is a minimum $50 package.   Unlimited data would cost you $140 plus $10 tax.  

Phones are extra on either plan.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.