Need help understanding your bill?
TheInformer's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, June 25th, 2014 4:04 PM

AT&T Customer Data For Sale

Why is AT&T allowing our personal information to be sold on the black market?!

This is ONE example website that is selling it:  

[removed questionable site link - available internally]

Anyone can sign up, buy some credits and order the information which would allow someone complete access to an AT&T account.

Here is the example they provided in a spam email I was sent:

Example:

IMEI: 0139830011XXXX

Phone number: 817504XXX

Full name of account holder: VIKXXX DOMAKXXXX

Last 4-digit of SSN number: 03XX

Billing Zip Code: 76XXX

Scholar

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

I wouldn't say that AT&T is "allowing" the information to be sold, any more than banks are "allowing" credit card numbers to be sold on the black market.  There's a reason that these activities are referred to as illegal: they are being done without permission.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

You're not even close.

Hacking computer information systems is pretty much beyond the control of system administrators.

The sale of data kept on AT&T systems is the fault of none other than AT&T itself and can be easily stopped. All AT&T needs to do is set up a fake account on their network and pay the illegal source to retrieve that info, while monitoring who accesses the account.

It's literally 10 minutes of work at virtually no cost.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

OH MY GOSH!! That is how that happened to me!! I thought I had a virus and account got hacked.

Thank you so much for the information-

I wonder why the link was deleted- can you resend it

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

I am sorry but I had such a bad experience with AT&T that I lost all trust, thay seem to have lost touch and interest for their customers. Sorry, it is sad,m that is how they reward loyalty: selling you more services!! charging you more!! ...and who knows how much they invest in protecting your data...

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

...oH! wait a second, sure they may want to charge you more to protect your data! another 10 bucks a month or so... why not?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

What’s the website that sells the information

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.