Helpful Links

(800) 947-5096

Contributor

(800) 947-5096

For nearly 2 years have received frequent calls from this number leaving me messages about my bill and asking me to call back.

The thing is, we're never late with our bill.
I googled this phone number today and there are tons of message boards out there with people wondering, "Is this a scam or is this really AT&T?"

So, AT&T, your customers are either (1) getting scammed by a phisher posing as you, or (2) not believing its really you and greatly annoyed by these calls.

Both cases should concern you. 

If it is the first case, then you should block this number from calling any of your subscribers.

If it is the second, then please stop the incessant, annoying, totally useless automated calling that clearly isn't achieving what it is supposed to accomplish!  Especially for customers who say current on their bills.

Take a second to google the phone number for yourself.  You will see that this is affecting a number of your subscribers.  I'm darn near dropping your service just because of these calls, and I have to think others feel the same way. 

Please, I implore you, do something about these calls.

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Contributor

(800) 947-5096... Is this you AT&T? If it is, please stop calling.

For nearly 2 years have received frequent calls from this number leaving me messages about my bill and asking me to call back.

I googled this phone number today and there are tons of message boards out there with people wondering, "Is this a scam or is this really AT&T?" 

I've tried multiple to address this by calling your customer service, but this generally leads to a half hour of wasted time with absolutley no affect.

So, AT&T, your customers are either (1) getting scammed by a phisher posing as you, or (2) not believing its really you and greatly annoyed by these calls.

If it is the first case, then you should block this number from calling any of your subscribers.

If it is the second, then please stop the incessant, annoying, totally useless automated calling that clearly isn't achieving what it is supposed to accomplish!  Especially for customers who stay current on their bills.

Take a second to google the phone number for yourself.  You will see that this is affecting a number of your subscribers.  I'm darn near dropping your service just because of these calls, and I have to think others feel the same way. 

Message 2 of 9
Scholar

Re: (800) 947-5096... Is this you AT&T? If it is, please stop calling.

This is a customer forum, so no one from ATT will be able to respond. But, if you believe you're receiving these automated collection calls in error, you can contact customer service and they can actually set up a case to have you removed from their dialier list. A lot of times their automated dialier is just calling a number in error.  And the number that you're receiving calls from is ATT's Receivables Management department so it doesn't seem like a scam at all.
Message Edited by Squanda.9 on 04-23-2009 11:22:28 AM
Message Edited by Squanda.9 on 04-23-2009 11:23:24 AM
Message 3 of 9
Former Moderator

Re: (800) 947-5096

In efforts to avoid board clutter and confusion, we ask that you please refrain from cross and double posting. Please check here for responses to your inquiry. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Message 4 of 9
Master

This is a real valid number.  Its to the Receivables Management Department.  For some reason something is flagged on your account.  The only way to get these to stop is to call and find out the reason.  they will be able to explain the exact reason you are getting the messages.  If it was a mistake all this time they can have you removed from the system.  But if you don't talk to that department nothing is going to change.
Message 5 of 9

Is this the only account you have ever had with AT&T?  That may have happened if you have ever moved to a different state, and gotten new numbers.  They may be calling about another account.. that also has your contact number on it.  I'd call customer care, and have them search for any account linked to your information (I think they can search by name as well as some other information).  If they can't find anything, then they can create a request to have the calls stopped.  

Message 6 of 9
Professor

Call back and find out!

That's how I learned my indentity had been stolen.

AT&T was very helpful in helping me sort it out.

Regards,

Ron

Message 7 of 9
Scholar

Just call back. This has happened to me before and I called back, it was AT&T but they had called me in error and it never happened again.
Message 8 of 9
Scholar

nwclapp wrote:

I've tried multiple to address this by calling your customer service, but this generally leads to a half hour of wasted time with absolutley no affect.

If it is the second, then please stop the incessant, annoying, totally useless automated calling that clearly isn't achieving what it is supposed to accomplish!  Especially for customers who stay current on their bills.

As another poster said this is ATT Receivables management. I experienced a similar issue some months ago. When I spoke with them I was told this likely happened because someone provided my number as their home number on an account or it may have been entered on another account incorrectly - as I recall the CSR submitted a "case" to have the system check for the account that was linked to my home number besides mine and the calls stopped a few days later.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support