Need help understanding your bill?
Star21's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 9:15 PM

$500 Deposit? Really unsatisfied with aT&T

Okay Ive been with AT&T's darn expensive phone service since 12/13/12 and didnt require a deposit when I first signed on or got the contract. Its been almost a whole year of commitment to this At&t rip off services and then I skip 2 payments and when I called yesterday to pay my past due bill now they're asking me to put a $500 deposit which will be refunded at the end of my contract...They said my services were cancelled due to not reaching payment agreements and they needed to reinstate my phone service which then ran a credit check  but what about all them other months I've been paying my bills on time if they take the time to look at that....a year to late for this ridiculous amount if I had known sooner I would never give att my time & money...its no wonder why people with att always complained about their service and I wish I opted out sooner....

Also I asked the representative which handled my bill over the phone if I could just pay this months bill along with my termination fee of $225 to avoid this ridiculous amount of deposit and she stated yes sure but you'll need to pay it before your due date to avoid that charge and then goes on to say I will bill the $500 deposit amount on your next bill but make sure you pay your bill and termination before its due date okay! OOuucChh UUmmm was that just a big slap in my face or what?

To make matters worse I later spoke with the collections dept. and the representative there said no sir regardless if you payed your next bill and termination fee we will still need the $500 deposit after the cancelation on your account and you will be refunded because It had already been applied to your accounts next bill....can somebody tell me Im not the only one that think this is absurd im cancelling my service and paying my bill & termination fee but you still need that depoist...Refunded or not that is not my point At&t clearly dont care for their customers AT this point im infuriated with At&t and I wish this on nobody but beware at&t customers of the sly and selfish ways this company sucks in customers and spit you on the ground somehwere down the line....

open for any advice, comments, tips and answers!! Thanks for your time

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

10 years ago

You didn't pay your bill. Sometimes there are consequences when you just "skip two payments."

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, Star21!

I'm sorry to hear about your recent difficulties with paying your bill. If you would like us to take a more in-depth look at your account, you can send us a private message by clicking here. This is a care team that only handles escalations from the forums. I cannot make any guarantees, but they can help determine if there is an alternative that would work for your particular situation.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Former Employee

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Ever heard of fraud? There is a hugw amount of fraud and gaming in cellphones, especially in the US due to contracts and subsidized phone costs. Also, if they re ran your credit and NOW come up with a $500 deposit and you didnt in the beginning then the cellphone bill is obviously not the only one you're 'skipping.'

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your help Mariana. I clicked on the link you provided and haven't got any help yet....Is there anything else I can do besides paying this amount? Is there some kind of payment options available? My only option left is not paying at all but will at&t still be charging me
....Thank u

Former Employee

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

If you don't pay at all or port your number to another carrier then the bill will still stand, it will just be forwarded to collections or an agency. The reason they want the $500 reinstate fee is because a payment arrangement was already instated and not fulfilled. Unfortunately they won't finance or break it up over or on top of your monthly bill because you already missed two payments.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, Star21!

We did get your message, and someone will be reaching out to you soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks....IS it refundable? How long does it take to get it back?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

It is refundable. Usually it will be refunded after 1 year of on time payments. If you continue to make late payments, they can hold the deposit for an additional year.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

@ aGuyWhoKnows- So if I took my number or my phone to another carrier at&t will just send my remainder of my bill to collections is that what your saying? I'm just wondering will At&t still accumilate charges to my account even if I did go to another carrier since I still have 1 more year on my contract? Even though if I did choose that option it will still be a win-win situation for at&t.
Being that if I just paid the $500 deposit and my bill at least I will get refunded after a year but I will have to endure another year w/at&t V.S If I took my phone# to another carrier they will bill me the whole amount to collections and not receive any refund at all....so I'm probably better paying this bill vs being billed at collections Correct??

@kdfederer- If I payed the deposit along with my phone bill Which is about $608 and along with the early termination fee of $225 which on my end accumulates to almost a ridiculously amount of $800plus it will still take a year for me to smell my deposit??? I so hope this is notthe way at&t runs business with customers.....

@Mariana thanks for your help can you just remind your fellow customer care team that I'm still waiting for their call hopefully I can get this issue resolved in a better and much more affordable way.....appreciate it!

Thanks for the support at*t community

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

If you terminate your contract, the deposit will be credited to your final bill and you will receive back the difference from what you owe and the deposit. 

If you cancel instead of paying the deposit, you will owe the ETF plus any remaining balances on your bill.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.