Need help understanding your bill?
Unhappy1214's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, March 8th, 2016 9:58 PM

2 year contract

I just finished my 2 year contract. I'm not interested in the next plan at all. I like paying for my discounted phone up front. Is there any way to get another contract because I'm grandfathered in?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

To put a picture on smartphone ownership.

IMG_4821.PNG

This doesn't address the issue of data use.  In 2010 the data speeds were still 3G. By 2013/14 most users were transitioning to LTE devices, capable of using twice the data.  

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/u-s-mobile-internet-traffic-nearly-doubled-this-year/?_r=0

1 Attachment

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

2 year contracts were invented during the feature phone days. Yes, the "wholesale" cost of a phone was much cheaper back then. You're using the iPhone as an example (apparent when you talk the $649 cost) and that's not the entire story. Android devices have gotten way more expensive since their inception.

I work in hardware. I am absolutely correct when I say the "wholesale" cost of a device has gone up because it has. The first HTC Android device AT&T sold was the Aria. It's FULL price was $379.99. The first Samsung Galaxy (Captivate) was $499.99 full cost.

See where this is going? 2 year contracts were a relic of a different era. It's not just AT&T either. Verizon, T-Mobile....2 year contracts are over with. Phones and service are not hand in hand any longer. No more subsidies. Holding onto an old plan is totally the choice of the end user but to say a carrier is being unfair because the entire industry shifted is unreasonable.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Chrijaf wrote:
That is not true, the cost of a new iPhone or smartphone continues to be the same as it was seven years ago (you can find a new iPhone from 649.99 which the same as it was before).
What has changed is the user pattern, users are now heavy data users and that is where the revenue is. It is valid, a company wants to make profit but they should be upfront and not use the lame excuse of the hardware cost which once again continues to be the same.

You both made a point and missed the point.  Providing the huge amount of data services costs a lot of money.  Carriers could no longer provide service and equipment at the prices we saw in 2012 and subsidize phones in a reasonably priced package deal as they did in the past.  They would have to increase "line fees " to $45, $50 to absorb the expense of both.  

That aside - I believe carriers needed to remove themselves as the responsible party.  Most smartphone users still think the carrier is responsible if their phone quits or is broken.  They have no idea the warranty is from the manufacturer and Asurion is a separate company.  

Carriers accurately predicted increased data use ahead of 2013, as well as increases in smartphone sales.  The link in my last post is about how the US used twice as much data in 2013.  Chalk it up to LTE and phablets.  

The end result for consumers is a competitive market for service and phones.  While upsetting in the short term, it benefits us in the long term.  

Personally, I pulled out my Verizon bills from 2010-2012.  I was paying $207 in 2010 for 3 basic phones.  Buy 2012 I had 4 lines, one basic, 3 smartphone, 10 GBs of data and my bill was $321.

I now have 30 GBs of data, 5 phones and 2 tablets and pay $234 with my $13 discount.

All phones were purchase out right.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote: That aside - I believe carriers needed to remove themselves as the responsible party.  Most smartphone users still think the carrier is responsible if their phone quits or is broken.  They have no idea the warranty is from the manufacturer and Asurion is a separate company.  

I agree and don't understand this at all. If they bought a item at Walmart or Target, they understand who the warranty is with. But at AT&T they seem to think a phone is with AT&T and not the brand.

I can understand confusion if they're still selling phones with the AT&T logo on them. But Apple phones with no AT&T logo seem like it'd be pretty simple, but I still see the confusion.

AT&T does sell insurance which they don't make very clear is not with them. And this probably doesn't help people's confusion. But then they don't every read what the insurance covers or deductible either, so maybe it's just people...

I think the whole "upgrade" process also adds to the confusion. It sounds like you're returning your leased phone. Realistically they're buying your old phone from you for the cost of the last few Next payments or you're just buying a phone. They aren't doing much in terms of an upgrade when they are telling you that you can do that. Just say "you're eligible for a new next phone".

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I believe part of the confusion is because ATT does act as an agent for the manufacturer and does provide warranty service for some phones: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1044996

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L

This may be why Verizon removed the "Edge up" option when they switched to calling it the "Device payment plan".  

You have to pay all payments on the 24 month plans.  Only a few devices, for limited times offer a "Annual upgrade program". 

Oh, and T-Mo just dropped "Jump on demand".  I can't believe they were fool enough to offer it in the first place.  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

I ended my nightmare with ATT and paid them $379, they charged me $95.00 for a contract fee, when I told them I didn't have a contract, they said that on October 23, 2014 I bought my phone, which I had, but since I ended my service on October 22, 2016, it was one day too soon. I told the rep that 24 months or 2 years DOES NOT include October 23, 2016. She just sat there, nothing I can do, well Baton Rouge got such poor service I couldn't deal with ATT Any longer, now looking for Internet And a replacement for Direct TV,

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@C234ghi wrote:
I ended my nightmare with ATT and paid them $379, they charged me $95.00 for a contract fee, when I told them I didn't have a contract, they said that on October 23, 2014 I bought my phone, which I had, but since I ended my service on October 22, 2016, it was one day too soon. I told the rep that 24 months or 2 years DOES NOT include October 23, 2016.

But your contract DOES include Oct. 22, 2016, doesn't it??  It seems like you needed to wait until October 22nd was completed.

Just so we're clear, when are you saying a 2 year contract starting on Oct 23, 2014 should be 100% complete?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

7 years ago

Well, 1 week is 7 days, from Monday to the following Sunday, correct??

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@C234ghi wrote:
Well, 1 week is 7 days, from Monday to the following Sunday, correct??

I notice you're not answering my question, you're deflecting with a question.

12:01am Monday THROUGH 11:59 PM Sunday would be 2 minutes short (I don't want to say Mon 12 am because that's confusing if it's at the beginning or end of Monday). Anything before 11:59 PM (plus 1 minute) on Sunday would be less than a week.

If you were doing something for me for the hypothetical week of Monday THROUGH Sunday (and keep in mind it's a computer that's keeping track of you) you would be expected to be commited until EITHER: 

1. 11:59 pm (plus 1 minute) on Sunday.
    OR (depending on the contract wording).
  2. If you showed at 5PM on Monday, then technically a week (24 hours times 7) could be 4:59PM the following Monday.

Regardless, anything before Sunday was complete (11:59PM +1 min) would be short.

I'LL ASK AGAIN:

When are you saying YOU THINK a 2 year contract starting on Oct 23, 2014 should be 100% complete?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.