For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Needinganswers's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 2nd, 2018 3:42 PM

150 deposit

I switched to AT&T 3 months ago for my family.   We have 4 cell phones and 2 iPads on this plan that allows 10 devices.  I just got an Apple Watch but was told because of my credit I must pay $150 deposit to add the watch to the plan, which is only $10 a month.   I’ve always had good credit so I quickly checked wondering what could have happened.  My credit score is 769 which falls in the very good range.   What does it have to be at avoid having to pay 15 months cost up front as a deposit?   

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

Ha, I'm in the same boat. I knew this was a new scam they are doing.  Seems they are making Apple Watch people put down $150 under the guise of "credit check"

They did it to me, and as it was a gift I needed to get activated to a particular phone under the AT&T plan, they got me.

But I'm closing down another plan and moving it to Verizon.  I told them if you do this to me, insult me, extort $150, I will be moving this plan that I pay you much more than that each month, but they still made me pay $150. 

I wonder if Apple knows about this racket they are doing to their Apple Watch customers?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

Any deposit is refundable after a period of time.  ATT must feel your credit is not as good as it would like.  

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

You would think that would be the case, but the two people I know this happened to have great credit with big family style plans, and just bought a watch.

So something else is up with it... just targeted at watch customers with phones already on AT&T. Some sort of racket.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@AtWrlesFAN wrote:

You would think that would be the case, but the two people I know this happened to have great credit with big family style plans, and just bought a watch.

So something else is up with it... just targeted at watch customers with phones already on AT&T. Some sort of racket.

UM...  I have a lg sport and a apple watch on my plan plus 6 phones and never was asked for a deposit when the wife wanted the apple watch in November....  Its not about credit score from a credit report....  ATT has its own metric it uses for deposits....  Its all risk based....  I had to get an exception from a district manager when we moved from verizon 5 years ago because I needed 6 lines.  He had no problem doing it...  

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

credit score isnt the only determining factor, they look at utilization as well is it possible you are at the upper limit of your available credit? i own my own house, purchased a second one for rental income, did some repairs and heavily used my discover card for repairs and upgrades my credit is a 788 but i jumped to a 38% utilization and was denied a kohls card and the reason was utilization. no matter i dont want or need a kohls card i just wanted to use the deep discount at xmas when you open, use first purchase etc.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

4 months ago, got a watch, no deposit.

End of 2017, got a watch, deposit.

No change in anything.

Easy to see, it has nothing to do with anything...

It is plainly a racket, probably to boost revenue at end of year. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

For one deposits can't be shown as revenue ...  Sorry your theory does not hold water....  Atts quarterly reports tell the story.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

Well there is some reason they just now started demanding 150 from Apple Watch customers and it has nothing to do with credit rating, or needling a deposit. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Enjoy your tinfoil hat.  Like I said at the end of Nov. we added a apple watch with no deposit.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

WHen someone gives me a plausible reason why they are demanding 150 now for a watch connection, I’ll stop suspecting them of shenanigans. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.