Need help understanding your bill?
Rangerrunner04's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, November 21st, 2017 6:38 PM

14 day grace period?

So I signed up for AT&t for my cellphone. I brought my own phone in. Well after a couple days with my new service I did not have any signal at home. Now this is very important to me because I do homework at home on this device. So I called at&t to get it resolved. They told me that I had deadspot out by my house and that there are no cell phone towers located by my house. I was told at the store that i do in fact have great service at my address. So a few days later I gave up and canceled my service and switched back to my old service. Mind you this was in the 14 day grace period. After cancelation I confirmed with two representatives from at&t that I would not owe anything. Now I have a 146 dollar charge for less than 2 weeks of service. Oh and a 5 dollar late fee because I was not aware of this charge because I was told there would be none. For cell service that would not work. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

The 14 day grace period is for the purchase of and return of phones, not phone service. ATT used to have a grace period for the service but I do believe that has been done away with. Consequently, you will get charged for an entire month of service and any activation fees. Sorry, I know that is not what you want to hear but as I stated, I am quite sure they don't do a grace period on the phone service anymore. I hope I'm wrong but suspect not.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Yes I thought that too. But my girlfriend signed up for service the same day and canceled the same day as me with the same plan and same phone. She does not have to pay anything. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Most likely because it was the same day. There is somewhere from a 24 to 72 hour grace period but not 14 days.

Guru

• 

382 Messages

6 years ago

When I signed up for ATT, I received my first bill in less than a week.  So if thry have a grace period, its not along one.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Im sorry I'm meant that she canceled the same day that I canceled. She signed up for service the same day as me as well. That's why I'm so confused on why I have to pay but she does not. 

Guru

• 

382 Messages

6 years ago

Call them up and explain the situation and see if thry will waive the bill.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Rangerrunner04 wrote:

Im sorry I'm meant that she canceled the same day that I canceled. She signed up for service the same day as me as well. That's why I'm so confused on why I have to pay but she does not. 

Well, that is a head scratcher. The only thing I can think of is she had not had a bill generated yet but you did. Even though you signed up the same day, you won't necessarily get assigned the same bill cycle dates so it is possible your first bill had been generated when you cancelled while hers had not. That is just conjecture, though.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Rangerrunner04  Maybe she was on prepaid?   Or has a bill she doesn’t know about either.  

And $146 is high if you didn’t buy a phone.  I supposed not for unlimited Plus with an activation fee.  

@Anthony.Dukes  I still remember the first bill.  Included 2 prorated and a full month and we didn’t have all the lines added.  It would have been bigger, but at the time activation was waived and each line was given $150 for porting in (after 45 days).  

I tested Verizon in July by moving one phone to prepaid.    

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Yes it was unlimited plus plan for both of us. It said that she owed money but she called and they gave her a credit. We did the exact same thing on the exact same day. Also it was on the same billing cycle. I just looked. Also to be specific I had a chat with a representative on the at&t app. This person told me that I would not have to pay anything and I confirmed that a second time. I also screenshot the messages between me and the representative of him saying I will not be charged. 

I told that to a manager at at&t and she that I still owe and if i do not pay then I will be charged a late fee every month. 

I DID NOT receive and email nor a letter in the mail confirming this bill either. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.