Need help understanding your bill?
maju-usa's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, November 20th, 2015 11:55 PM

take a phone number out of family data plan only

How can I remove my daughter's phone from the data plan. She uses up the shared plan data within 1 week of the billing cycle and $15 starts piling up until the next cycle. I tried to keep her on WIFI only it does not work, she plays youtube videos, facebook videos when not at home, in the hospital, during long trips out etc. Taking away the smartphone is not an option because her HS insists they use apps for class work - ridiculous!

Please help take a phone number out of family data plan not transfer to individual, just disable data on her account without stopping unlimited texts and calls.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

One parent to another, she is snowing you.  

1.  Call the school and debunk the "use the phone for class".  At most they are allowed to use the scientific calculator in class.  Most schools prohibit phones in class.

2.   Teach her - calmly - how to monitor and control data use and let her know the repercussions are data will shut off when she has used her limit.

3.   Set her a limit,   2 GBS is reasonable unless you feel more generous.    You can either call or access this online and turn off data.  It doesn't keep her from calls and text and she can use wifi for apps and Internet. 

4.   You can turn data back on when the next billing period starts.  

5.   Follow through.  If you just  turn her off and let the chips fall where she laid them it will probably be the last overage she commits.

I speak from experience.  Back when text was extra, one kid exceeded our entire shared allowance.  At the time all I could do was take away the phone for the rest of the month and watch the account.  Once was enough for him.

More recently, the other kid went over data allowance and I turned him off.  Once was enough of an embarrassment for him to not do it again.

If you really want her off, you can put her on a prepaid by herself with her current phone for $45 or $60 a month.  If her line is under contract there may be ETFs involved.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

This is a user helping user forum and no one here can fix your situation. I think that you can call AT&T and have them block the data on that line, otherwise you can block it on your online account, but on the online accout, it will automatically renew the data at the beginning of the billing period, so you would have to turn off the data on that line every month.

Mentor

• 

54 Messages

8 years ago

What type of phone is she using?  Have you tried putting parental controls on her phone and disabling the cellular data? 

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

8 years ago

@maju-usa: I would suspend service on your daughter's phone, as well taking it away from her. Teach her lesson, I forget how long can suspend service, but if she keeps abusing data previlages, take phone away permanently.Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you so much for that info, very helpful! I had taken the phone before, it worked for a while and she went back to old habits, will definiely do that again.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Done!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for your honesty and humor I might addSmiley Happy

I had checked out the phone in class thing and it was only for an app the teacher created and said he only does it in a class where everybody has a smart phone...lol! I will definitely work on the portioning the data after which cut off if not heeded. This was very helpful.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My son use all my data .what can look do.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Take my son off family plan and make his he has 25 years old now and I'm not going to pay his bill
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.