Need help understanding your bill?
retlawpdw's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 2:51 PM

poor AT&T Wireless policy - 4th line deposit

AT&T has a lousy policy all need to be aware of. If you add a fourth cell phone line, even if you have perfect credit, they will charge you a $455 deposit.
I had lines with Verizon and moved 3 over to AT&T (one had a few months left on the contract - as confirmed by AT&T at the store). At the time I moved the 3 lines over, they DID NOT tell me about the fourth line policy above. A few months later, I went into the store to move my wife's line (4th) over, they hit me with the deposit concept FOR THE FIRST TIME.
I tried to deal with this forum via private message - (after promising to call one day, they called back 2 days later after a second message) and they basically repeated the policy. The store manager (Perimeter Mall area - Atlanta) did not call me back either.
Just poor customer service. They would not allow me to return the phones either - because 14 days had past since the first 3 phones were activated.THis is despite the fact that they KNEW I wanted to add a fourth phone in May when I activated the first 3 phones.
Spread the word - AT&T Wireless does not want me as a customer - beware!!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Ironsoul24 wrote:
I find it funny that the initial concern of this customer was never confronted. Why did AT&T not inform him of the deposit required when they had foreknowledge of his intent to add a fourth line and allow him to commit to a contract that he would regret causing bad reputation to be generated for the company. Another representation of poor customer service;, and lack of training, and understanding of policies by AT&T, and their representatives.

Curious - how do you know that ATT had foreknowledge of his intent to add a fourth line, when the attempt occurred a few months later? Statisticaly given the number of customers that att has then are probably millions of family plans that never go beyond 3

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

It was stated it in the initial post that retlawpdw informed the representative about bringing another line in on top if the initial 3 in the near future, which by telling the rep this gave AT&T "foreknowledge". Please read ahead, for example the initial topic. Since retlawpdw was speaking to a representative of AT&T , which by being an employee selling AT&T products and services that person is a legal representative of the company, AT&T acquired "foreknowledge". Now about the statistics of many families not requiring more than three lines. How is that relevant to a person to person conversation in which the customer mentioned the fourth line coming. I sincerely doubt that any sales rep has that statistical knowledge in their heads at a time they are attempting to make a sale. That was a weak counterpoint...

[Please keep it courteous]

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Ironsoul24 wrote:

It was stated it in the initial post that retlawpdw informed the representative about bringing another line in on top if the initial 3 in the near future, which by telling the rep this gave AT&T "foreknowledge". Please read ahead, for example the initial topic. Since retlawpdw was speaking to a representative of AT&T , which by being an employee selling AT&T products and services that person is a legal representative of the company, AT&T acquired "foreknowledge". Now about the statistics of many families not requiring more than three lines. How is that relevant to a person to person conversation in which the customer mentioned the fourth line coming. I sincerely doubt that any sales rep has that statistical knowledge in their heads at a time they are attempting to make a sale. That was a weak counterpoint...

But the answer to the OP's question is there is no standard policy as to when a deposit will be required and there is no way for the original rep to know when an additional line would trigger a deposit unless they actually processed the request for the additional line. Since the OP only said they intended to add a 4th line "in the future", there was no reason for the rep to process that request.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Ironsoul24 wrote:

The sales rep acquired pre-knowledge of the line, unless it was noted in the end users record at that time the corporation may not have been "informed" of the intention of adding an additiona line. Even then for-knowledge of the intent to add another line will not orveride the requirement of a deposit on adding an additional line to the account. The requirement for a deposit is determined by requirements set forth at corporate level, not at the whim of a sales rep. A soft credit check was more then likely run at the time of the request.  I know, have had soft pings on my credit report when I added lines to my family plans since it was reported to me by the credit monitoring service I utilize. Suspect that is part of the add a new line software. Another point to ponder the OP also makes no reference to the payment history of the account, carriers will make a security depost required on a new line if there was history of late or deliwuent payment 

The statistics was just a background informational point to make a point that there is no pre-knowledge of the intent so unless it was documented there was no way to know. you assumed I was intending to show that the sales rep thought of this and it was no counter point intended with the sales rep in mind.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey,

It is a standard policy regarding the 4th lines, but like winged101 implied, it's not a common request. Especially in such a short period of time. Not may people necasserily have the money to get 4 new phones, and have the credit to to get the first 3  without a deposit.

Agents are reccomended not to do credit check on more lines than necassery, to avoid confusion or ordering issues. Since deposits are fluid and can change often, even after only a few months, they wouldn't want to set the wrong expectations, if things will end changing. So basically, if a representative wasn't conscientious of this seldom used rule, and hadn't run the credit check for a line he wasn't ordering right then, he wouldn't have come across this information otherwise.

If you really feel like you need to phone, service, get a gophone for the line until the 150 days are up.

-Alex

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

ive went past 150 days they still wanting a deposit

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

This isn't true. Or its changed. I've been with att for a year in November & I just tried to add a third line but was told I had to pay a $200 deposit. So this whole 150 days is not true. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@wkpau79

If you had read the full post...”After 150 days from opening an account and with good payment history, this deposit requirement will be removed from your account...”.    If you paid late or made payment arrangements, or your credit score isnt very good, ATT may ask for deposit.    

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.