Need help understanding your bill?
dejayb's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Tuesday, July 22nd, 2014 1:31 PM

ms. dejayb

I got another message today about using 2/3s of my data for the month again. I also heard that Facebook is now charging us? Can you tell if the increase is due to Facebook usage?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

@dejayb - Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear that you are near your data limit. To avoid the overage, you can definitely raise your plan up to the next tier (for example from 1GB to 2GB etc) or you can use Wi-Fi whenever possible when you access the web. Using Facebook does indeed use data but there are no additional charges on the plan. Hope that helps!

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I've already gone through all that twice and have uped my data plan twice. We will just have to stay on WiFi only or use something other than Facebook
Donna DiBernardo

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

@dejayb wrote:
I've already gone through all that twice and have uped my data plan twice. We will just have to stay on WiFi only or use something other than Facebook
Donna DiBernardo

using only wifi is the best way to go(if its readily available), if you never want to go over your data limit. you can choose to turn off the data on all phones if you want to, but you have to be careful with doing so, because some phones actually need to have data on to send and receive picture messages. theres some phones out there like my htc one m8 that can have both wifi and data turned off, and i can still send and receive picture messages.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I do hope you tell us that the data plan is getting close to exceed. Last time you increased my data plan on your own before I could figure out what was causing it. And would you not know that Facebook has changed its policies and are now charging for usage and warn us about this? If you are not looking at everything all day on Facebook like I don't, you won't see their post.
Donna

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information such as full names]

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Facebook HAS ALWAYS consumed data like any other app that accesses the internet. Facebook didn't change anything. Looking at videos on Facebook uses a lot of data. It depends on what you look at on Facebook as to how much data you use.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

To kdfederer. That is not true about Facebook. They sent a post yesterday about how they were changing their policies and many of my friends also noticed a big increase in their data usage. As I've said before we have been through this twice before and neither time did it have anything to do with Facebook.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

So find out what is using your data...
Go into settings and find mobile data usage.
It will list apps that use data starting with the most to the least.

On most phones you can restrict Apps to use wifi rather than mobile data. (Updates from App Store, Social network Apps, games, etc)

You didn't say if you have an iPhone. Unlike Android phones, the iPhone defaults to mobile data when in sleep mode, unless plugged in to power. It does this even if connected to excellent wifi signal. The only way to prevent this is to go to setting, cellular data, and turn off as many Apps as you can, or don't need to use mobile data.

Let us know what you find out...

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I found out that Facebook has changed their policies and many are now using more data from Facebook and videos on Facebook start automatically instead of you starting it yourself.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

That means nothing.

If you open the settings on your phone, go to mobile data, look at the list off Apps.
The list should be in order from most to least use of mobile data.

If Facebook is using a lot of data, open the App and change the settings. You can prevent videos from playing automatically. You can prevent notifications entirely, or allow select ones only. These settings can help limit the amount of mobile data FB uses.

The iPhone allows you to prohibit certain apps from using mobile data.

For every problem, there is a solution if you look for it.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I've been trying to find out where it is. I was also told different information about iPhones. But doesn't matter cuz mine is an android phone. Funny I am getting conflicting answers, even from att
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.