Posted Jul 22, 2014
6:31:13 AM
View profile
ms. dejayb
I got another message today about using 2/3s of my data for the month again. I also heard that Facebook is now charging us? Can you tell if the increase is due to Facebook usage?
I got another message today about using 2/3s of my data for the month again. I also heard that Facebook is now charging us? Can you tell if the increase is due to Facebook usage?

ms. dejayb

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 6:35:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
@dejayb - Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear that you are near your data limit. To avoid the overage, you can definitely raise your plan up to the next tier (for example from 1GB to 2GB etc) or you can use Wi-Fi whenever possible when you access the web. Using Facebook does indeed use data but there are no additional charges on the plan. Hope that helps!
~Sunshine :smileyhappy:
@dejayb - Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear that you are near your data limit. To avoid the overage, you can definitely raise your plan up to the next tier (for example from 1GB to 2GB etc) or you can use Wi-Fi whenever possible when you access the web. Using Facebook does indeed use data but there are no additional charges on the plan. Hope that helps!
~Sunshine :)
- Sunshine :)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

@dejayb - Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear that y...

2 of 17 (241 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 8:00:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
I've already gone through all that twice and have uped my data plan twice. We will just have to stay on WiFi only or use something other than Facebook
Donna DiBernardo
I've already gone through all that twice and have uped my data plan twice. We will just have to stay on WiFi only or use something other than Facebook
Donna DiBernardo

Re: @dejayb - Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry to hear that y...

3 of 17 (223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2014 8:23:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by everyusernameipickischosen on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30:28 AM

dejayb wrote:
Donna DiBernardo

using only wifi is the best way to go(if its readily available), if you never want to go over your data limit. you can choose to turn off the data on all phones if you want to, but you have to be careful with doing so, because some phones actually need to have data on to send and receive picture messages. theres some phones out there like my htc one m8 that can have both wifi and data turned off, and i can still send and receive picture messages.

dejayb wrote:
Donna DiBernardo

using only wifi is the best way to go(if its readily available), if you never want to go over your data limit. you can choose to turn off the data on all phones if you want to, but you have to be careful with doing so, because some phones actually need to have data on to send and receive picture messages. theres some phones out there like my htc one m8 that can have both wifi and data turned off, and i can still send and receive picture messages.

[ Edited ]
4 of 17 (213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 9:28:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:16:16 AM

I do hope you tell us that the data plan is getting close to exceed. Last time you increased my data plan on your own before I could figure out what was causing it. And would you not know that Facebook has changed its policies and are now charging for usage and warn us about this? If you are not looking at everything all day on Facebook like I don't, you won't see their post.
Donna

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information such as full names]

I do hope you tell us that the data plan is getting close to exceed. Last time you increased my data plan on your own before I could figure out what was causing it. And would you not know that Facebook has changed its policies and are now charging for usage and warn us about this? If you are not looking at everything all day on Facebook like I don't, you won't see their post.
Donna

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information such as full names]

[ Edited ]
5 of 17 (204 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 9:46:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Facebook HAS ALWAYS consumed data like any other app that accesses the internet. Facebook didn't change anything. Looking at videos on Facebook uses a lot of data. It depends on what you look at on Facebook as to how much data you use.

Facebook HAS ALWAYS consumed data like any other app that accesses the internet. Facebook didn't change anything. Looking at videos on Facebook uses a lot of data. It depends on what you look at on Facebook as to how much data you use.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 17 (203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 10:41:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
To kdfederer. That is not true about Facebook. They sent a post yesterday about how they were changing their policies and many of my friends also noticed a big increase in their data usage. As I've said before we have been through this twice before and neither time did it have anything to do with Facebook.
To kdfederer. That is not true about Facebook. They sent a post yesterday about how they were changing their policies and many of my friends also noticed a big increase in their data usage. As I've said before we have been through this twice before and neither time did it have anything to do with Facebook.

7 of 17 (191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 1:36:08 PM
(0)
Professor
So find out what is using your data...
Go into settings and find mobile data usage.
It will list apps that use data starting with the most to the least.

On most phones you can restrict Apps to use wifi rather than mobile data. (Updates from App Store, Social network Apps, games, etc)

You didn't say if you have an iPhone. Unlike Android phones, the iPhone defaults to mobile data when in sleep mode, unless plugged in to power. It does this even if connected to excellent wifi signal. The only way to prevent this is to go to setting, cellular data, and turn off as many Apps as you can, or don't need to use mobile data.

Let us know what you find out...
So find out what is using your data...
Go into settings and find mobile data usage.
It will list apps that use data starting with the most to the least.

On most phones you can restrict Apps to use wifi rather than mobile data. (Updates from App Store, Social network Apps, games, etc)

You didn't say if you have an iPhone. Unlike Android phones, the iPhone defaults to mobile data when in sleep mode, unless plugged in to power. It does this even if connected to excellent wifi signal. The only way to prevent this is to go to setting, cellular data, and turn off as many Apps as you can, or don't need to use mobile data.

Let us know what you find out...

8 of 17 (171 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 6:47:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
I found out that Facebook has changed their policies and many are now using more data from Facebook and videos on Facebook start automatically instead of you starting it yourself.
I found out that Facebook has changed their policies and many are now using more data from Facebook and videos on Facebook start automatically instead of you starting it yourself.

9 of 17 (152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 7:14:44 AM
(0)
Professor
That means nothing.

If you open the settings on your phone, go to mobile data, look at the list off Apps.
The list should be in order from most to least use of mobile data.

If Facebook is using a lot of data, open the App and change the settings. You can prevent videos from playing automatically. You can prevent notifications entirely, or allow select ones only. These settings can help limit the amount of mobile data FB uses.

The iPhone allows you to prohibit certain apps from using mobile data.

For every problem, there is a solution if you look for it.
That means nothing.

If you open the settings on your phone, go to mobile data, look at the list off Apps.
The list should be in order from most to least use of mobile data.

If Facebook is using a lot of data, open the App and change the settings. You can prevent videos from playing automatically. You can prevent notifications entirely, or allow select ones only. These settings can help limit the amount of mobile data FB uses.

The iPhone allows you to prohibit certain apps from using mobile data.

For every problem, there is a solution if you look for it.

10 of 17 (149 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 7:47:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
I've been trying to find out where it is. I was also told different information about iPhones. But doesn't matter cuz mine is an android phone. Funny I am getting conflicting answers, even from att
I've been trying to find out where it is. I was also told different information about iPhones. But doesn't matter cuz mine is an android phone. Funny I am getting conflicting answers, even from att

11 of 17 (144 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 8:01:23 AM
(0)
Professor
I also have an android

To find out what uses your mobile data....
open settings
select mobile data.
scroll down the list to see what, and how much data is used, by which App. At the top is a box with a slider so you can select a window of time. you can move the slider to look at a 30 day period or just one week, whatever.
**If the informations below doesn't include the source of your data use, please holler back with which App is the culprit.

To restrict FB (or any App)
Open Facebook app
open the menu and scroll down to Application settings. go through the list and turn off automatic updates, video and most notifications. I have FB limited to using only notifications for private messages.
Turn off anything else that you think may help limit the Apps data use.

You can open other apps, like email and change the settings so email is checked less often, or only checked on a "push" or "fetch" basis (mail is only loaded over mobile data when you open the Application"

Sending photo or video with text messages uses you mobile data - EVEN if you are connected to wifi.

I also have an android

To find out what uses your mobile data....
open settings
select mobile data.
scroll down the list to see what, and how much data is used, by which App. At the top is a box with a slider so you can select a window of time. you can move the slider to look at a 30 day period or just one week, whatever.
**If the informations below doesn't include the source of your data use, please holler back with which App is the culprit.

To restrict FB (or any App)
Open Facebook app
open the menu and scroll down to Application settings. go through the list and turn off automatic updates, video and most notifications. I have FB limited to using only notifications for private messages.
Turn off anything else that you think may help limit the Apps data use.

You can open other apps, like email and change the settings so email is checked less often, or only checked on a "push" or "fetch" basis (mail is only loaded over mobile data when you open the Application"

Sending photo or video with text messages uses you mobile data - EVEN if you are connected to wifi.

12 of 17 (140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 8:45:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
The change to videos automatically starting (which will consume quite a bit of data for you) had changed several weeks (maybe even a couple months) back. When this change happened, a number of users didn't even notice that the videos were playing (without audio) just by scrolling over them. Those playing videos did consume quite a bit of data, especially is you are not on wifi. I'm not sure about android, but for Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) you can turn off the "video auto play" feature for the FaceBook app. I would guess that there is some setting to do this on android.

Now, with you getting the warning, it is not necessarily a bad thing. As long as you are further than 75% of the way into your billing cycle, and you have only used 66% of your data allocation, then statistically you are doing well, since your data usage is slower than your billing cycle, so unless you increase your usage, you might be fine. As long as you don't go over your data package limit, it isn't bad to use it all, it just means that you are getting the best utilization of your resources.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
The change to videos automatically starting (which will consume quite a bit of data for you) had changed several weeks (maybe even a couple months) back. When this change happened, a number of users didn't even notice that the videos were playing (without audio) just by scrolling over them. Those playing videos did consume quite a bit of data, especially is you are not on wifi. I'm not sure about android, but for Apple iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) you can turn off the "video auto play" feature for the FaceBook app. I would guess that there is some setting to do this on android.

Now, with you getting the warning, it is not necessarily a bad thing. As long as you are further than 75% of the way into your billing cycle, and you have only used 66% of your data allocation, then statistically you are doing well, since your data usage is slower than your billing cycle, so unless you increase your usage, you might be fine. As long as you don't go over your data package limit, it isn't bad to use it all, it just means that you are getting the best utilization of your resources.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

13 of 17 (130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 10:30:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks. I did have to do that before with my friends phone. And I didn't know about sending videos through messages used so much data. My friend and I are guilty of that. He some how uses most of the data.
Time to go through his phone again and let him read your message.
Thanks. I did have to do that before with my friends phone. And I didn't know about sending videos through messages used so much data. My friend and I are guilty of that. He some how uses most of the data.
Time to go through his phone again and let him read your message.

14 of 17 (116 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 10:41:33 AM
(0)
Professor
It's funny isn't it?
Before we ever heard of data or data plans, we could send picture messages with text. The pictures were pretty low quality.
Now, not only is it not free because it won't send over wifi, but it chews through a ton of our mobile data because the new phones take high resolution pictures.

Glad to know you are on the right track to knowing what is causing the problem. Knowing what racks up data charges is the best way of getting it under control.

I think there are Apps you can use over wifi for pics and video. Including Facebook messenger, with the restricted settings of course.
It's funny isn't it?
Before we ever heard of data or data plans, we could send picture messages with text. The pictures were pretty low quality.
Now, not only is it not free because it won't send over wifi, but it chews through a ton of our mobile data because the new phones take high resolution pictures.

Glad to know you are on the right track to knowing what is causing the problem. Knowing what racks up data charges is the best way of getting it under control.

I think there are Apps you can use over wifi for pics and video. Including Facebook messenger, with the restricted settings of course.

15 of 17 (115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 11:51:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
I think I may know what most of the usage is from. Just need to get my friend to listen to me. 😊
I think I may know what most of the usage is from. Just need to get my friend to listen to me. 😊

16 of 17 (107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2014 11:57:00 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 23, 2014 at 12:09:13 PM

Now I know why I could not send a media message to my daughter. Because I have the cellular turned off.
You are full of good information.

Now I know why I could not send a media message to my daughter. Because I have the cellular turned off.
You are full of good information.

[ Edited ]
17 of 17 (104 Views)