For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
talkative one's profile

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

Sunday, January 25th, 2009 12:34 AM

Closed

canceling verizon account

i just switched over from verizon on the 22nd of this month and wondered how long it takes for my old account at verizon to close? When i go online, the account is still active. Thinking i might have to call them even though i had my old phone number switched over to AT & T. I didn't call verizon because i read that when you port your number the company you are leaving automatically close's your account. 

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

15 years ago

With Verizon, the account doesn't close completely until the end of the current billing cycle that you are in, even though you have ported your number over to another carrier. I recently ported my Verizon number over to AT&T, and it took almost a month for them to send me out a confirmation notice that I now have a zero balance, and my account has been closed.......

Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

15 years ago

@talkative one wrote:
i just switched over from verizon on the 22nd of this month and wondered how long it takes for my old account at verizon to close? When i go online, the account is still active. Thinking i might have to call them even though i had my old phone number switched over to AT & T. I didn't call verizon because i read that when you port your number the company you are leaving automatically close's your account. 

Porting your number from another carrier, should cancel it out, and its usually done as soon as the port is completed.

Sometimes that doesn't always happen.  If your AT&T service is working with the number that you ported in, and the Verizon account is still active, then you should call Verizon customer service and have them cancel it...

But, if the porting process isn't completely done, then hold off for a couple days to make sure it goes through completely (otherwise you jeopardize your existing #)

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you for your reply. The porting process is complete. I was thinking maybe verizon was just slow in showing it on my account online. I will contact them. 

Expert

• 

2.5K Messages

15 years ago

Its possible that there is a slight delay, and I have heard in very rare cases that the number was never actually disconnected on the prior carrier's account..  If you can't see that its been done, its better to be safe and just call them to confirm..

Guru

• 

983 Messages

15 years ago

Irish Rose, you hit the nail right on the head with that one.  For the OP, keep in mind that until your final bill is paid off, your account still exists; you service does not.  So the account itself is still Active, even though there is no service on it. 

Explorer

• 

20 Messages

15 years ago

thank you all for your replies. I called verizon and they said the account was suspended and the number had been ported completely. Guess they are waiting until the billing cycle ends to finalize it. 

Former Moderator

• 

4K Messages

15 years ago

*message was moved to create own thread*

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

15 years ago

@irish Rose wrote:
With Verizon, the account doesn't close completely until the end of the current billing cycle that you are in, even though you have ported your number over to another carrier. I recently ported my Verizon number over to AT&T, and it took almost a month for them to send me out a confirmation notice that I now have a zero balance, and my account has been closed.......
It was the same way for me as well.. I thought it odd. But it's their policy I guess.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.