For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
misamisa's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, May 24th, 2014 8:38 PM

Closed

Worst Customer Service I Have Ever Experienced and AT&T Couldn't Care Less

AT&T has lost three phone customers, and this is why.

I upgraded my mother’s phone & had it mailed it to her directly (we live 8 hours apart from each other).  She’s older and doesn’t know her way around technology so I told her “just go to the store, they will help you there.”

She is an authorized user as First, Middle Initial, Last. Unfortunately when she went to her local AT&T store, she only gave her Middle, Last Name and was told they couldn’t help her. Completely understandable, although I would assume it would be GOOD customer service to ask if she could be listed under a different name, given she has the SAME last name as me, the account holder, and her middle initial is on the authorized user list.

By the time I called the AT&T store to verify, she had left and the first retail Rep responded, “Oh you’re Ms. X? Your mother isn’t an authorized user on the account, you will have to come into the store and show your ID.” Angrily, I replied “I can’t do that because I am 8 hours away, and she is authorized. So what other options do I have?” Rep, “Umm... well I that’s what you’ll have to do.”

I said that she wasn’t offering me any solutions, so I asked to speak to her manager. Her manager just told me to call AT&T Customer Care.

I called and after a 45 minute call the Rep put a note on my account that my mother should be allowed to activate her device. I asked if the Rep could just activate the device while I was on the phone, she said she was not able to. She was very nice and tried to help, so I don’t fault her, but she should have known to transfer me, etc.  

After telling my husband this, he said they should be able to activate over the phone. So I called Customer Care again and got another woman to activate the device. I had my mother on chat the entire time, but by the time I called to activate, she only had 15-20 mins left before she had to go to work.  I explained to the Rep that I didn’t have the device with me.  

So my first question to the Rep was “Do you need any device information for the activation because I won’t be able to get it in 15 mins?” The rep said “No, your order number, account name, etc... should be enough.” Great, Awesome, Fantastic. After 40 minutes of silence and typing on her end she asks “Do you have the sim number for the device?” I lost it. I asked her why she didn’t tell me this in the beginning, but was so frustrated I just hung up.

This morning, my mother goes to AT&T and has her device activated (she was now aware of the name issue and informed me of it as well). She calls me from her now new phone. Still annoyed, I called the AT&T retail store where my mother went and was going to ask about their process for asking about authorized users, to get the name of the store manager and to hash out what happened from their perspective.

THE KICKER

Rick answered and I said, “Hi my mother went into your store yesterday and gave her middle name instead of her full name and I wanted to” I suddenly hear silence. He HUNG UP on me. I called three more times. NOBODY ANSWERED.  

I was officially angry, so I called customer service again to file a formal complaint. I explained my entire experience to the Rep who answered and then to her manager to which they both replied “Wow, ok.”

So I asked what were they going to do, who was going to be accountable, can I get some kind of compensation,  will anything happen? Nope, all she was willing to do, or possibly could do, is send an email to her manager. Then her manager might send it to a higher up, and so forth. After all that hassle and poor customer service, nothing.

So, I am removing my line, my husband is removing his line and I am terminating my mother’s contract under Buyer’s Remorse if nothing results of this complaint in a couple of days. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

So Loganic decided to reply, but then Deleted it. (See below email notification)

Sure, my question is, does AT&T care to acknowledge this poor customer service and offer me any kind of compensation for my troubles. Or at least confirm that someone will be held accountable. Like say, Rick?

Edit: I also don't appreciate your smart aleck reply after all the nonsense I have gone through with AT&T reps, loganic.

=========

There was a new Reply.

Subject:  Re: Worst Customer Service I Have Ever Experienced and AT&T Couldn't Care Less
Author:loganic (Employee)
Date:05-24-2014 03:19:14 PM

So . . . Did you have any questions?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I realized that, that's why I got rid of it.

This is a peer-to-peer forum, where some customers and occasionally reps volunteer their time to provide general information, and you probably hadn't known that.

I can see your situation is incredibly frustrating. Given that no one who immediately replies has access to your account, I recommend you sent a private message to ATTCustomerCare, and you'd reach someone who can actually access and make changes to your account.

-Alex

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I have already dealt with Customer Care repeatedly and am not impressed with their capabilities. So who else can I contact?

Guru

• 

294 Messages

10 years ago

@misamisa wrote:

This morning, my mother goes to AT&T and has her device activated (she was now aware of the name issue and informed me of it as well). She calls me from her now new phone. Still annoyed, I called the AT&T retail store where my mother went and was going to ask about their process for asking about authorized users, to get the name of the store manager and to hash out what happened from their perspective.

If it's anything like the security over the phone, they are not allowed to give hints. So even though they might know it's the same person on the authorized user list, they still have to follow security policies. This is to protect people from fraud.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I spoke to my mother 30 minutes ago and she provided more information. She tried to give the store associate her ID. He refused. If he would have taken her ID, he would have seen her full name and all of this would have been avoided. 

The store associate this morning took her ID, saw her full name, and activated her device. 

Even though you pointed out this little detail from my entire complaint, it still doesn't excuse the rest of the ineptitude of the reps and the carelessness by Rick that I recieved. 

Guru

• 

294 Messages

10 years ago

With the Rick employee, did you hear him press any buttons to indicate he hung up on you? Or are you assuming he did? You can always write a letter to the address on your bill (not the one for payments) if you don't want to speak with customer care.

In terms of your conversation over the phone, I can understand your frustration. The agents are able to see what the sim number is, but they still need to verify it to make sure you got the correct one. I know it would have been nice if you knew that from the beginning, but hanging up on them is no way to have the issue resolved.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

@ujmnz wrote:
I know it would have been nice if you knew that from the beginning, but hanging up on them is no way to have the issue resolved.

Really? Unbelievable. So what was I supposed to do without being able to obtain the number (which was explained to rep) and after almost two hours of being on the phone with CustomerCare? "Well thanks anyway..."? (Rhetorical, no need to respond)

I have sent a letter to corporate and intend to continue this on Tuesday.

I was hoping to get some solid feedback within this community, but it looks like I'm out of luck here as well. 

And please, no more community manager type responses. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@misamisa wrote:

I have already dealt with Customer Care repeatedly and am not impressed with their capabilities. So who else can I contact?

The group answering the private messages is not the same group that you deal with on the phone. They specialize in helping with situations that are not able to be solved with convential means.  Give them a try; what have you got to lose?

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

This sounds so familiar.  This is not a company that is going to offer any solutions to problems and has no direct way to reach anyone who can.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.