Need help understanding your bill?
MJB0188's profile

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 12:20 AM

Why does AT&T still throttle legacy smartphone unlimited plans?

I could somewhat understand this 2-3 years ago; however, how many people could still have the plan where it would seriously impact AT&T's network?  I have unlimited and each month I find myself using my phone less to conserve data usage.  We should not have to monitor our usage and should be able to freely use our smartphones.   

I would like to know if AT&T plans on either:  lowering the cost of these plans, or letting users use as much as they want (hence the unlimited) because I feel like $30 should get me unlimited usuage like it did years ago.  

The real question is... how many smartphone unlimited users are on AT&T in July 2014?  

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

You can use as much data as you want, as long as you pay for what you use.

If you switch from the flat fee, grandfathered "unlimited smartphone data" plan, then you do not get throttled.  You do pay for all the data you use, so if you go over the amount you have paid for, you are givven another allotment and billed for that (ususally in 1GB amounts billed aroud $15-20/GB).

If you would rather not have overage charges, you can keep your flat rate plan you have now, but if you go over 3GB on a 3G device, or over 5GB on an LTE device, your data rates will be throttled.  The throttleing is because the unlimited data users what to use much more than they pay for, and you probably don't feel it right for you to have to pay higher rates so someone else can get more free service do you?  This is exactly where the majority of the AT&T customers are, so if you want unthrottled data, you can have it as long as you pay for it.

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

10 years ago

I understand that. It's just that there cannot be many unlimited users left on AT&T. So if each one of those users used as much as they'd like, what impact could it really have on the network? I'm sure none at all.

How come AT&T can do their plans like T-Mobile? Have a certain allotment then get slowed down but still have unlimited data. Or charge a premium for unlimited usage? T-Mobile does.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T has long regretted ever offering unlimited data and they want everyone off it--but without technically forcing people. If they unthrottled the "unlimited" data plans then fewer people would leave them.

Even though there are a few users left, unthrottling would undermine their justification for ending unlimited even though some competitors still have it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Wait a minute GeekBoy.  So you're saying that because I have an "UNLIMITED" plan and I take advantage of it, I'm a thief!? 

Your logic is flawed and unjustified.  Apparently, you have no idea what the work unlimited means.  I PAY for unlimited. I'm no THIEF. I'm not using anything I did not pay for.

No wonder AT&T is crap. They think their hardworking, paying customers are THIEVES!

Wow. I am livid that I would be called a thief.

[Please keep it courteous]

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a wrong direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-101
Community Moderator

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

Don't start using your imagination, please. It causes eye rolls all over.
No one called anyone a thief.

And if you think things are different with another carrier, feel free to go.
Verizon charges more for the same plan because you don't get a line discount if you bring your own phone. It's nearly impossible to stay within the data plan as they can't count over at Verizon. I don't miss them at all.

So look at other networks? They all throttle if they offer unlimited data. Some of them don't have to throttle as they don't have 4G LTE service to begin with. Or the service is so bad and spotty you will have no chance to use the service.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

10 years ago

And would you trade the service AT&T has, for lesser quality service?
Verizon is still the best network. AT&T is a close second. I left Verizon because they charge more. I did not switch to one of the other networks because I know how poor their call quality, dropped calls, etc is.

You are getting what you pay for. quit complaining.

Scholar

• 

191 Messages

10 years ago

I do not understand why T-Mobile can offer unlimited data and AT&T can't. How can a smaller carrier have more power than one twice its size?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

They are offering unlimited data to try to get new customers. if they start getting to the numbers of customers like Verizon and AT&T, they will either discontinue unlimited or start throttling earlier that what they are. Yes, they have unlimited but they throttle once you reach a certain data use level.

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

10 years ago

Not to split hairs, but if you purchase T-mobiles top unlimited plan you do not get throttled at any point. The cheaper plans do indeed throttle after a certain cap is reached, but they still offer a $80 truly unlimited data plan. However, I agree that offer would likely end if they got as many subscribers as AT&T or Verizon.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.