Need help understanding your bill?
bpeters1's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 13th, 2011 9:08 PM

Why Is Caller ID Inconsistent Calling from One Phone to Multiple iPhones?

I have 2 co-workers who work in the same office who all have ATT Wireless with iPhone 4s.

If I call my iPhone from the same number and extension in the offce, I will get the proper number in my caller ID on my phone. 

My co-workers will get 'Unknown' shown on their phones calling from the same office phone.

Is there any reason for this? I looked at the iPhone and I did not see a setting for incoming caller ID. I would have thought it would be the telco or the office phone system, but it should be consistent from call to call, especially calling from the same phone in the office to the iPhones. 

Would love some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

The final answer was a little more complex...

I talked to a higher level engineer at my telco. He has seen this issue before with ATT, where caller ID will work for some cellphones and not others. ATT had to make a change somewhere in the the network for this to suddenly not work.

What other customers had to go was have the phone system making the outgoing calls set these parameters for the Calling Party Number

Plan: ISDN

Type: National

I made these changes to my office phone system and now caller ID works on the ALL ATT cellphones receiving calls from the office.

Why this works for some ATT cellphones and not others before the change? We suspect (really guessing) that some phones were provisioned on Cingular and some on ATT and that may be the difference. My personal iPhone always got caller ID from office phones and my account is a legacy Cingular account from 2000. The iPhones that were not working, were new accounts after the merger. Or it could just be random way the phones are setup internally. We have no idea but it works now.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

here's how caller ID works:
at&t puts your name in the CNAM database. from there its up to phone companies to pull that information. some companies do the updates every other day where as others do so maybe once a year. there is nothing at&t can do once they enter your name in the database. also have them clear the caller id history as caller id pulls from memory before the server.

as for why one phone doesn't work, clear the caller id or speak to your IT dept.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks JFizDaWiz!

I should make it clear - the issue is the incoming caller ID shown on the ATT wireless phones on calls made from office phones. We have duplicated it with other phones in the office.

And I am the IT Dept...I've talked to my phone vendor and my telco and my settings for caller ID were working until a week or so ago. Both telco and phone vendor confirm the settings have not changed.

Could this be an issue with the Caller ID database? I did more testing since I first posted and

-From the office you call one ATT iPhone and Caller ID works.

-Call another ATT iPhone and Caller ID does not work. Shows Unknown 

-Call a Verizon landline and Caller ID works.

-Call a tMobile cell and Caller ID works.

-Call ATT Blackberry and Caller ID does NOT work. Shows Unknown

The problem only seems to occur with ATT cellphones and even that is not consistent.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

are the numbers programmed ink the phone? there is no caller id for cellphones just contacts. if they are saved the number is blocked or its a software glitch

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

The office numbers that are calling the cellphones are not programmed into any of the cellphones receiving the calls.

If there is no Caller ID on cellphones then why does my iPhone show the office numbers and the other phones do not? Should it not be the same for every phone, especially since they are the same phone model on the same carrier. If one shows 'Unknown' they all should, shouldn't they?

We even have the same iOS versions. Stumped.

My telco said they were going to update/send the Caller ID database to my PBX. Does that sound right? Don't the carriers have to exchange that information?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.