Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 12, 2012
7:20:32 PM
View profile
What is City ID?

I just can't find a place to put this, but I figure the AT&T folks'll put it somewhere. After a call, City ID comes up. What is this?

I just can't find a place to put this, but I figure the AT&T folks'll put it somewhere. After a call, City ID comes up. What is this?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 15, 2012 8:17:13 PM
(0)
Expert
try the steps below to get it removed.

1. Open CityID
2. Click on "Subscription Status" then "Stop Free Trial"
3. Click Confirm
4. Click Remove Software
5. Click Confirm
6. Less Bloat on your phone

also it is a android app from Google play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.senthil.areacode&hl=en

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.
Accepted Solution

What is City ID?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2012 11:00:52 AM
(0)
Teacher
Basically, City ID shows you what city and state a phone number is calling from, instead of just seeing the area code and wondering. It is a subscription service, so you may want to review your bill and make sure that you're not being billed for the service if you don't want to be. It is a neat little service, and relatively inexpensive, but I know it's not for everyone. On your bill, it will be located in a section about mobile purchases and downloads, if it's there. If you don't want it, you can remove it from your apps folder on the phone (this varies, depending on your device), or by dialing 611 from your phone and a representative should be able to help you too. Have a great day, hope this helps. :smileyhappy:
Basically, City ID shows you what city and state a phone number is calling from, instead of just seeing the area code and wondering. It is a subscription service, so you may want to review your bill and make sure that you're not being billed for the service if you don't want to be. It is a neat little service, and relatively inexpensive, but I know it's not for everyone. On your bill, it will be located in a section about mobile purchases and downloads, if it's there. If you don't want it, you can remove it from your apps folder on the phone (this varies, depending on your device), or by dialing 611 from your phone and a representative should be able to help you too. Have a great day, hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Re: What is City ID?

2 of 17 (61,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 27, 2012 8:48:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

Displaying the city and state is usually worthless - as that's just where it was originally registered. Who's gonna pay for that. As Wikipedia says, you can force stop it, but what I start to do that, the phone says, "Forcing an application to stop can cause problems". Can it get any more vague than that? What problems? Is android just shooting in the dark here?

Displaying the city and state is usually worthless - as that's just where it was originally registered. Who's gonna pay for that. As Wikipedia says, you can force stop it, but what I start to do that, the phone says, "Forcing an application to stop can cause problems". Can it get any more vague than that? What problems? Is android just shooting in the dark here?

3 of 17 (61,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2012 9:47:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

It will not go away on my phone. I have an LG flip phone. When I open the app center, it goes to the website to download more junk, not manage what is already on the phone.  I do not have a data or text plan, nor do I want them. My phone is for voice calls ONLY. 

How do I get rid of this obnoxious "service" on my phone??

It will not go away on my phone. I have an LG flip phone. When I open the app center, it goes to the website to download more junk, not manage what is already on the phone.  I do not have a data or text plan, nor do I want them. My phone is for voice calls ONLY. 

How do I get rid of this obnoxious "service" on my phone??

4 of 17 (60,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 4:44:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

Tried calling 611 - the rep could not help remove city id from our LG xpression.   They transferred us to an (att? specific) LG help desk who should know more about our phone.  He put us on hold for about 10 mins before we were transferred back to the incomming call tree, not talking to anyone but a machine as if we had just started our call.  We hung up at that point.

Very frustrating - very useless.  I just hope we were not charged time for that call.

We are trying to get comfortable with the features of a new phone.  There is enough stuff to learn about phone operation without having to be on alert for apps trying to sign us up for crap we don't need or want.

Tried calling 611 - the rep could not help remove city id from our LG xpression.   They transferred us to an (att? specific) LG help desk who should know more about our phone.  He put us on hold for about 10 mins before we were transferred back to the incomming call tree, not talking to anyone but a machine as if we had just started our call.  We hung up at that point.

Very frustrating - very useless.  I just hope we were not charged time for that call.

We are trying to get comfortable with the features of a new phone.  There is enough stuff to learn about phone operation without having to be on alert for apps trying to sign us up for crap we don't need or want.

5 of 17 (60,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2012 11:53:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by steputt on Oct 15, 2012 at 11:59:54 AM

This wasn't any help. I talked to both customer service and tech support, the last whom gave me a credit to compensate for accessing the web (required on my phone to manage apps) to remove the app. It was useless. I couldn't find any reference to City ID, much less how to remove it.

So why was this app installed on my new LG A340 in the first place? Why doesn't it pop up on my wife's identical phone purchased at the same time? Why does it start inconsistantly and randomly when I hang up from a call? And HOW DO I GET RID OF IT!!!??

AT&T and/or LG should never pre-install an app on new non-smart phones, even as a free trial, and especially something so aggravating and impossible to eliminate.

This wasn't any help. I talked to both customer service and tech support, the last whom gave me a credit to compensate for accessing the web (required on my phone to manage apps) to remove the app. It was useless. I couldn't find any reference to City ID, much less how to remove it.

So why was this app installed on my new LG A340 in the first place? Why doesn't it pop up on my wife's identical phone purchased at the same time? Why does it start inconsistantly and randomly when I hang up from a call? And HOW DO I GET RID OF IT!!!??

AT&T and/or LG should never pre-install an app on new non-smart phones, even as a free trial, and especially something so aggravating and impossible to eliminate.

[ Edited ]
6 of 17 (59,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 15, 2012 8:17:13 PM
(0)
Expert

1. Open CityID
3. Click Confirm
4. Click Remove Software
5. Click Confirm

also it is a android app from Google play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.senthil.areacode&hl=en

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

1. Open CityID
3. Click Confirm
4. Click Remove Software
5. Click Confirm

Knight Rider Rules.gif

7 of 17 (59,498 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2013 1:28:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you for posting these steps but unfortunaltely, I cannot seem to locate an icon of any sort for this APP. I only know that it is running because it welcomed me to a 10 day trial and shows in the list of all apps. The app notified me out of the blue one day after I received a phone call. No option to even try it.

When the City-ID screen appeared, the only option I was given was to click OK. Any suggestions from cancelling / removing this service from an HTC One?

Thank you for posting these steps but unfortunaltely, I cannot seem to locate an icon of any sort for this APP. I only know that it is running because it welcomed me to a 10 day trial and shows in the list of all apps. The app notified me out of the blue one day after I received a phone call. No option to even try it.

When the City-ID screen appeared, the only option I was given was to click OK. Any suggestions from cancelling / removing this service from an HTC One?

8 of 17 (49,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 7:58:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

I used to have City ID on my Samsung Solstice 2 and Samsung Evergreen phones.  I loved it.  City ID shows the city and state that you are calling to or you are receiving a call from.  However, it is not always accurate.  For example, when I had City ID on my my Solstice 2 and Evergreen, my mother would call me and it would read she was in a different city than where she really is.

I used to have City ID on my Samsung Solstice 2 and Samsung Evergreen phones.  I loved it.  City ID shows the city and state that you are calling to or you are receiving a call from.  However, it is not always accurate.  For example, when I had City ID on my my Solstice 2 and Evergreen, my mother would call me and it would read she was in a different city than where she really is.

9 of 17 (49,182 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 8:25:17 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Jun 19, 2013 at 8:27:59 PM

gritts wrote:

There's also the old trick that you learn in Windows 8 (sorry MS:smileyindifferent:) when it freezes.

gritts wrote:

There's also the old trick that you learn in Windows 8 (sorry MS:smileyindifferent:) when it freezes.

[ Edited ]
10 of 17 (49,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 9:50:31 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Sep 10, 2013 at 10:13:05 AM

I was driving and did not touch my smartphone at all. All of a sudden, i noticed a screen popping up thanking me for purchasing City ID.  I did not even touch my phone. This is a total fraud. ATT is cahooting with these so-called 3rd party vendors to rip off subscribers without even first acquiring their consents. That is really too much. I called customer service to demand a refund and asked them to block all 3rd party push advertisements. But this not it..how can ATT even push something down mt throat without even first consulting me?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

I was driving and did not touch my smartphone at all. All of a sudden, i noticed a screen popping up thanking me for purchasing City ID.  I did not even touch my phone. This is a total fraud. ATT is cahooting with these so-called 3rd party vendors to rip off subscribers without even first acquiring their consents. That is really too much. I called customer service to demand a refund and asked them to block all 3rd party push advertisements. But this not it..how can ATT even push something down mt throat without even first consulting me?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[ Edited ]
11 of 17 (43,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 8:47:58 PM
(0)
Scholar

C ID is absolutely worthless. It's a piece of junk  and these foul entities that promote  are going to suffer severe retribution.

C ID is absolutely worthless. It's a piece of junk  and these foul entities that promote  are going to suffer severe retribution.

12 of 17 (43,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2013 12:28:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Phil-101 on Sep 13, 2013 at 12:51:39 PM

LOL that's some funny right there!!

[word filter avoidance]

LOL that's some funny right there!!

[word filter avoidance]

I think there are giant mushrooms. That visit earth in intergalactic spaceships,spying on us.

[ Edited ]
13 of 17 (43,440 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 10:57:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

CityID announces itself during calls or text messages via a popup advertisement that gives the user an option to either "download now" or "remind me later". The program only displays methods for extension and does not have an Opt Out option. For the Android operating system, users can force stop it from the Application Manager in the Settings menu. Other operating systems may have some control through the Media Center.

According to Cequint:

The way to disable City ID is to select “No” at the end of the free trial, which ends 10 days after you receive the initial free trial notification. If you select “Remind Me Later,” or press the Back or End key (or a similar action) the trial expired message will appear after each incoming call (up to 10 times), so please be sure to select “No” upon the first expiration message to disable City ID.

CityID announces itself during calls or text messages via a popup advertisement that gives the user an option to either "download now" or "remind me later". The program only displays methods for extension and does not have an Opt Out option. For the Android operating system, users can force stop it from the Application Manager in the Settings menu. Other operating systems may have some control through the Media Center.

According to Cequint:

The way to disable City ID is to select “No” at the end of the free trial, which ends 10 days after you receive the initial free trial notification. If you select “Remind Me Later,” or press the Back or End key (or a similar action) the trial expired message will appear after each incoming call (up to 10 times), so please be sure to select “No” upon the first expiration message to disable City ID.

14 of 17 (38,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 2, 2013 11:04:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

going through my phone i found the "disable" through the apps of the settings. you can force stop it and disable it after.

going through my phone i found the "disable" through the apps of the settings. you can force stop it and disable it after.

15 of 17 (38,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 4:45:04 PM
(0)
Contributor
How do you call that a solution!? Posting nonsense like that just marks a thread as solved that really isn't.

City ID installed itself onto my phone without permission. I called and a rep told me is was part of some partnership between ATT and some other company. I never clicked to start a free trial, just pressed the center button and swiped the screen to close it. Since it did not appear to exist under running processes or installed apps The rep suggested that it was probably not on my phone anymore. 10 days later it opened itself again saying the trial has ended. Seriously, trial for what? Nothing changed. Anyway, when I pressed decline it stays open. When I swipe my finger across the screen after pressing the Home button then it will appear to close, but since it installs itself in the background without showing its own existence there is no menu. There are no options, it is not listed under apps or anywhere else. All that does is eat my battery and bandwidth.

A real solution would be telling me how to get rid of this garbage, and to tell me how I can block ATT from hacking my phone. I am sick and tired of these random stupid apps being installed on to my phone without my permission. I am NOT leasing this phone from AT&T, I purchased it from AT&T. This is in direct violation of the federal, Spam Act. You do not have the legal authority to install random spyware and junk on to peoples phones. If its acting like a virus, then it is a virus.

If you want to offer me an app, that's different, but unless and until I decide that I want it running it is not to be running.
How do you call that a solution!? Posting nonsense like that just marks a thread as solved that really isn't.

City ID installed itself onto my phone without permission. I called and a rep told me is was part of some partnership between ATT and some other company. I never clicked to start a free trial, just pressed the center button and swiped the screen to close it. Since it did not appear to exist under running processes or installed apps The rep suggested that it was probably not on my phone anymore. 10 days later it opened itself again saying the trial has ended. Seriously, trial for what? Nothing changed. Anyway, when I pressed decline it stays open. When I swipe my finger across the screen after pressing the Home button then it will appear to close, but since it installs itself in the background without showing its own existence there is no menu. There are no options, it is not listed under apps or anywhere else. All that does is eat my battery and bandwidth.

A real solution would be telling me how to get rid of this garbage, and to tell me how I can block ATT from hacking my phone. I am sick and tired of these random stupid apps being installed on to my phone without my permission. I am NOT leasing this phone from AT&T, I purchased it from AT&T. This is in direct violation of the federal, Spam Act. You do not have the legal authority to install random spyware and junk on to peoples phones. If its acting like a virus, then it is a virus.

If you want to offer me an app, that's different, but unless and until I decide that I want it running it is not to be running.

16 of 17 (20,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2015 6:26:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

City ID just popped up on my LG G2 for the first time.  It is an ATT branded G2, but it is unlocked and on the Consumer Cellular (which uses ATT).

I have had the phone about 10 days now.

City ID is not in the Google Play Apps list.  It is not listed as an app on my phone.  My Caller ID did not show city or state info.  

What caused this app to suddenly surface and then just as suddenly disappear?  Is this a virus or malware?

City ID just popped up on my LG G2 for the first time.  It is an ATT branded G2, but it is unlocked and on the Consumer Cellular (which uses ATT).

I have had the phone about 10 days now.

City ID is not in the Google Play Apps list.  It is not listed as an app on my phone.  My Caller ID did not show city or state info.  

What caused this app to suddenly surface and then just as suddenly disappear?  Is this a virus or malware?

17 of 17 (2,069 Views)