Need help understanding your bill?
12Chris34's profile

Scholar

• 

194 Messages

Monday, February 13th, 2012 3:20 AM

What is City ID?

I just can't find a place to put this, but I figure the AT&T folks'll put it somewhere. After a call, City ID comes up. What is this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

try the steps below to get it removed.

1. Open CityID
2. Click on "Subscription Status" then "Stop Free Trial"
3. Click Confirm
4. Click Remove Software
5. Click Confirm
6. Less Bloat on your phone

also it is a android app from Google play. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.senthil.areacode&hl=en

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

Basically, City ID shows you what city and state a phone number is calling from, instead of just seeing the area code and wondering. It is a subscription service, so you may want to review your bill and make sure that you're not being billed for the service if you don't want to be. It is a neat little service, and relatively inexpensive, but I know it's not for everyone. On your bill, it will be located in a section about mobile purchases and downloads, if it's there. If you don't want it, you can remove it from your apps folder on the phone (this varies, depending on your device), or by dialing 611 from your phone and a representative should be able to help you too. Have a great day, hope this helps. 🙂

Scholar

• 

194 Messages

12 years ago

Displaying the city and state is usually worthless - as that's just where it was originally registered. Who's gonna pay for that. As Wikipedia says, you can force stop it, but what I start to do that, the phone says, "Forcing an application to stop can cause problems". Can it get any more vague than that? What problems? Is android just shooting in the dark here?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

It will not go away on my phone. I have an LG flip phone. When I open the app center, it goes to the website to download more junk, not manage what is already on the phone.  I do not have a data or text plan, nor do I want them. My phone is for voice calls ONLY. 

How do I get rid of this obnoxious "service" on my phone??

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Tried calling 611 - the rep could not help remove city id from our LG xpression.   They transferred us to an (att? specific) LG help desk who should know more about our phone.  He put us on hold for about 10 mins before we were transferred back to the incomming call tree, not talking to anyone but a machine as if we had just started our call.  We hung up at that point.

Very frustrating - very useless.  I just hope we were not charged time for that call.

We are trying to get comfortable with the features of a new phone.  There is enough stuff to learn about phone operation without having to be on alert for apps trying to sign us up for crap we don't need or want.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This wasn't any help. I talked to both customer service and tech support, the last whom gave me a credit to compensate for accessing the web (required on my phone to manage apps) to remove the app. It was useless. I couldn't find any reference to City ID, much less how to remove it.

So why was this app installed on my new LG A340 in the first place? Why doesn't it pop up on my wife's identical phone purchased at the same time? Why does it start inconsistantly and randomly when I hang up from a call? And HOW DO I GET RID OF IT!!!??

AT&T and/or LG should never pre-install an app on new non-smart phones, even as a free trial, and especially something so aggravating and impossible to eliminate.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for posting these steps but unfortunaltely, I cannot seem to locate an icon of any sort for this APP. I only know that it is running because it welcomed me to a 10 day trial and shows in the list of all apps. The app notified me out of the blue one day after I received a phone call. No option to even try it.

When the City-ID screen appeared, the only option I was given was to click OK. Any suggestions from cancelling / removing this service from an HTC One?

Scholar

• 

154 Messages

11 years ago

I used to have City ID on my Samsung Solstice 2 and Samsung Evergreen phones.  I loved it.  City ID shows the city and state that you are calling to or you are receiving a call from.  However, it is not always accurate.  For example, when I had City ID on my my Solstice 2 and Evergreen, my mother would call me and it would read she was in a different city than where she really is.

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

11 years ago

@gritts wrote:

Thank you for posting these steps but unfortunaltely, I cannot seem to locate an icon of any sort for this APP. I only know that it is running because it welcomed me to a 10 day trial and shows in the list of all apps. The app notified me out of the blue one day after I received a phone call. No option to even try it.

When the City-ID screen appeared, the only option I was given was to click OK. Any suggestions from cancelling / removing this service from an HTC One?

There's also the old trick that you learn in Windows 8 (sorry MSSmiley Indifferent) when it freezes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I was driving and did not touch my smartphone at all. All of a sudden, i noticed a screen popping up thanking me for purchasing City ID.  I did not even touch my phone. This is a total fraud. ATT is cahooting with these so-called 3rd party vendors to rip off subscribers without even first acquiring their consents. That is really too much. I called customer service to demand a refund and asked them to block all 3rd party push advertisements. But this not it..how can ATT even push something down mt throat without even first consulting me?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.