Need help understanding your bill?
belome's profile

Scholar

• 

329 Messages

Wednesday, November 17th, 2010 1:36 PM

What frequency does ATT use when in the Edge network?

OK, so I had a friend bring their Iphone to my house to see how the coverage is, since I'll be switching to ATT soon.  Much to my suprise they had 4-5 bars in my house... but when they went outside there was only 1-2.  Odd.

Then I realized my booster was flashing... sure enough.  Their Iphone was using my cell extender, but it is the CDMA version of the extender that I bought for my Verizon phones.

This is what I have and it works on 800mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875997031&Tpk=N82E16875997031

How was the Iphone using this?  Do all ATT phones use the 800mhz like this?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

13 years ago

@BrianfromNO wrote:

Absolutely nothing to do with it.  They can have GSM/EDGE and UMTS (3G) in both 850 & 1900 MHz.  It depends entirely on which frequency AT&T is licensed to use in a particular locale.

It also depends on the amound of bandwidth available on each frequency. GSM/EDGE uses something like 200KHz per RF channel, while UMTS uses 5MHz, so AT&T may decide to reallocate the 2G/3G services to optimize bandwidth usage. But the bottom line doesn't change — if AT&T is licensed to use both 850 & 1900MHz in a particular area, they can be utilizing either one or both of them for each technology.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

13 years ago

AT&T uses both 850 and 1900MHz frequencies, so if the nearby tower is transmitting on 850MHz the booster should work as it claims to be working with all cell phones, not just CDMA.

Scholar

• 

329 Messages

13 years ago

So, they are on the 850 spectrum when not in a 3g area and 1900 when in 3g?   Or does it not have anything to do with the 3g aspect of it?

Master

• 

4K Messages

13 years ago

Absolutely nothing to do with it.  They can have GSM/EDGE and UMTS (3G) in both 850 & 1900 MHz.  It depends entirely on which frequency AT&T is licensed to use in a particular locale.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.