Need help understanding your bill?
ImmaSSJ's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, January 25th, 2013 8:50 PM

Usb Tethering and Unlimited Data Plan

Hello I have an unlimited data plan on my phone. I have been using PdaNet to tether my phones network connection to provide an internet connection to my laptop via USB. What I am wondering is if I am doing this will I see some sort of data charge even though it's unlimited?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

How does AT&T in accordance with its acceptable use policy define interference? Quoted from https://www.att.com/legal/terms.aup.html AT&T prohibits use of the IP Services in any way that is unlawful, harmful to or interferes with use of AT&T's network or systems, or the network of any other provider, interferes with the use or enjoyment of services received by others…

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

I don't work for ATT.  I'm not a lawyer, and I don't care to dicker policy with you.

ATT has the right to sell you service with rules attached.   The FCC agrees.

If you get caught, they have the right to terminate you plan.

T-mobile went after customers breaking the tethering rules.  

You can go round and round and it will do no good.  I prefer sudoku puzzles, but if this is the hobby that floats your boat, have fun with it.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It does not allow this, at all. It allows for transmission of data between devices YOU own outright. Your computer. Your routers. Yes, your phones but not over the CELLULAR network. You may transfer all you want over WIFI, BLUETOOTH and even through USB but that does not include CELLULAR data. You can modify all you want to move files from your computer to the phone, when it does not involve accessing the celluar data network.

Customers do not own the network. It's a privately owned entity. Circumvention of the tethering restrictions is a violation of AT&T's terms and policies. The DMCA does not apply to the towers, VLR/SGSNs, internet backbone that you as the customer do not own.

Unlimited data is a table with one seat. All data is not equal via cellular. The phone facilitating the data transfer does not mean it's the only device using it. Sharing with another device means you are adding an addition seat to the table. T-Mobile's CEO had an interview a few months ago where he torched a bunch of users who were getting around their tethering policies. The carriers can, and will, cancel someone's service who is violating the terms of usage. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@David606. If I could give you 10 stars.....

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

Can I according to the acceptable use policy maintain up to date the following setup: 1 Apple Macintosh computer with current Mac OS X which is approximately 6 to 7 GB of data, 1 installation of Xcode, Apple's de facto integrated development environment/software development kit used for creating and maintaining iOS applications, 1 installation of Apple's Configurator 2 software used for certain iOS related tasks, 1 current iOS iPhone 6 Plus?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@waynelroberts They have plans where the bits are just for one device and plans where you can tether (share the bits).  People who tether probably (generally) use more bits, they use them on their phone and their tethered laptop/ipad.  Full screen video is a lot more enjoyable on the 15inch screen than a 5inch screen so you'll watch more, that costs them more.  

They could just charge everyone for the most expensive plan and assume everyone will tether, but that's not what they do...

They price things based on use.  Unlimtied people do not use unlimited data, most probably don't use any more than the people with a 5GB or 10GB plan.  

On 700 minute phone plans, no one made exactly 700 minutes every month to get their highest value, AT&T  counts on that and prices accordingly....

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

At&t's unlimited data with tethering disabled is at best like a bad relationship that even when you break up you can't get rid of your stocker ex and at worst, if you're still married, they are a dead-beat spouse who limits your ability to socialize with friends and family remotely (2-way video conferencing or gaming) and restricts your entertainment allowance to the equivalent of 56k dial-up!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

The real issue is signing up for a plan doesn't have tethering and then complaining the plan doesn't have tethering...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.