Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 10, 2012
5:33:31 AM
View profile
Unlimited data- at&t hotspot

I'm brand new to AT&T...just left Sprint after 5 years a couple days ago! Trying to clarify some things...

From what I understand, in addition to the 3GB I pay for a month, I have unlimited wifi access, but everything I keep reading mentions it is only in AT&T hotspots. This is where the clarification is needed. I have access to wifi at work and was planning on just turning off data during the day and sticking with wifi. It's not labeled as an AT&T location. Is the unlimited data ONLY in their hotspots or is it anywhere I can connect with wifi (work, home, etc)?

Sorry for the asinine questions, I was pretty spoiled with the unlimited data I had in the past!

I'm brand new to AT&T...just left Sprint after 5 years a couple days ago! Trying to clarify some things...

From what I understand, in addition to the 3GB I pay for a month, I have unlimited wifi access, but everything I keep reading mentions it is only in AT&T hotspots. This is where the clarification is needed. I have access to wifi at work and was planning on just turning off data during the day and sticking with wifi. It's not labeled as an AT&T location. Is the unlimited data ONLY in their hotspots or is it anywhere I can connect with wifi (work, home, etc)?

Sorry for the asinine questions, I was pretty spoiled with the unlimited data I had in the past!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 10, 2012 7:08:13 AM
(0)
Expert

KGLE wrote:

If you conect to a wifi location - att or not your data usage is not counted against cellular, be aware that if wifi drops or you lose connection the phone will automaticly switch to cellular data, or if it goes into sleep mode. If this is a iphone visual voice mail is always transmitted over celluar data,so if you turn it off you will not get your voice mail. Having a att smartphone with data gives you access to the att hotpots that are in various businesses also.

Accepted Solution

Unlimited data- at&t hotspot

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 10, 2012 7:08:13 AM
(0)
Expert

KGLE wrote:

If you conect to a wifi location - att or not your data usage is not counted against cellular, be aware that if wifi drops or you lose connection the phone will automaticly switch to cellular data, or if it goes into sleep mode. If this is a iphone visual voice mail is always transmitted over celluar data,so if you turn it off you will not get your voice mail. Having a att smartphone with data gives you access to the att hotpots that are in various businesses also.

KGLE wrote:

Re: Unlimited data- at&t hotspot

2 of 6 (6,884 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 7:15:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

Great, that is exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks!

Great, that is exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks!

3 of 6 (6,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 10, 2012 9:47:49 AM
(0)
Guru

And when they're referring to AT&T wifi hotspots, they're distinguishing AT&T-branded hotspots (McDonald's, Starbucks, etc) from other companies wifi (T-Mobile, Boingo, Virgin, etc).

And when they're referring to AT&T wifi hotspots, they're distinguishing AT&T-branded hotspots (McDonald's, Starbucks, etc) from other companies wifi (T-Mobile, Boingo, Virgin, etc).

4 of 6 (6,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 1:35:21 PM
(0)
Scholar

I don't believe I've ever been able to access one.

5 of 6 (3,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 2:36:13 PM
(0)
Expert

timbuk2okc wrote:

connect to att wifi in commercial areas all tthe time, you do have to verify that you are a att customer though

timbuk2okc wrote:

connect to att wifi in commercial areas all tthe time, you do have to verify that you are a att customer though

6 of 6 (3,762 Views)