Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 18, 2014
10:30:55 AM
Unable to receive text messages from a specific phone number

Hi all!  It's been a while since I've been on the forum.

I have a situation where I can send text messages to a friend's specific phone number but I cannot receive text messages they send to me.  The friend is able to receive my messages, but I do not receive his responses.  We both are able to place and receive phone calls between our phone numbers.  Both of us are also on the AT&T network.

I even verified that I did not have his phone number blocked on my Smart Limits.  I have also added the phone number to my allow texts list on Smart Limits.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help!

I have a situation where I can send text messages to a friend's specific phone number but I cannot receive text messages they send to me.  The friend is able to receive my messages, but I do not receive his responses.  We both are able to place and receive phone calls between our phone numbers.  Both of us are also on the AT&T network.

I even verified that I did not have his phone number blocked on my Smart Limits.  I have also added the phone number to my allow texts list on Smart Limits.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 20, 2014 2:49:39 PM
(0)
Scholar
Be sure to check your Spam settings.
Something like in your Messaging -> Menu Button -> Settings -> Spam Settings

If you see your friend's phone number in there, then you won't be able to see their incoming text messages.
and if I've answered your question, click on the green checkmark to the right
Accepted Solution

Unable to receive text messages from a specific phone number

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 11:07:12 AM
(0)
Expert

dancnplay wrote:

did you just upgrade away from a iphone and does your friend have a iphone.

dancnplay wrote:

did you just upgrade away from a iphone and does your friend have a iphone.

Re: Unable to receive text messages from a specific phone number

2 of 6 (2,202 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 4:49:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Is your friend also using AT&T or are they on another carrier?  I know that there are some carriers who have issues exchanging SMS and MMS messages with AT&T customers.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

Is your friend also using AT&T or are they on another carrier?  I know that there are some carriers who have issues exchanging SMS and MMS messages with AT&T customers.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (2,178 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2014 8:29:13 PM
(0)
Employee

As you indicated both of you are using AT&T I would honestly contact customer service to troubleshoot the issue since you listed most of the main things that could be causing the issue from the phone settings. It's very possible there is something wrong in the network.

If possible call from a phone other than the cell phone that's having the issue, and if you can call while your friend is around that would be even better so they could jump in to his account to ensure there's nothing on his end that could be causing the issue. Smiley Happy

As you indicated both of you are using AT&T I would honestly contact customer service to troubleshoot the issue since you listed most of the main things that could be causing the issue from the phone settings. It's very possible there is something wrong in the network.

If possible call from a phone other than the cell phone that's having the issue, and if you can call while your friend is around that would be even better so they could jump in to his account to ensure there's nothing on his end that could be causing the issue. Smiley Happy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (2,169 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 20, 2014 2:49:39 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you see your friend's phone number in there, then you won't be able to see their incoming text messages.

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation

and if I've answered your question, click on the green checkmark to the right

5 of 6 (2,129 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 26, 2014 8:05:29 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thank you so much for this suggestion! I looked in the Spam Messages folder and, voila, there they all were! I selected to restore all the messages and deactivated the Spam setting. My friend and I tested texting to each other, and I can now receive his messages.
Thank you so much for this suggestion! I looked in the Spam Messages folder and, voila, there they all were! I selected to restore all the messages and deactivated the Spam setting. My friend and I tested texting to each other, and I can now receive his messages.

6 of 6 (2,065 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments