For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
cmeisenzahl's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 1:13 PM

Traveling to Canada with iPhone for a weekend? ...

Hey guys, we're pretty new to AT&T. In a couple months I plan to head from the U.S. to Toronto for a weekend. I've heard horror stories about people racking-up insane voice and data charges when traveling to Canada.

When I was with Sprint a few years ago we could add some kind of international plan add-on for something like $3.99 for a single month that completely covered us there.

Does AT&T offer anything similar? What are the options?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

AT&T brags about their horrendous rates to use your phone in Canada. I've been having to pay $30 PER PHONE each time I cross the border. Not even a gb of data. So, since I travel to Canada several times a year, I'm going to be getting a prepaid plan thru Verizon $15 phone plus $15 card. No additional fees to text back to the US. After that, I just get a new card when I go. AT&T is shooting itself in the foot with these RIDICULOUS charges.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@BDubya Call AT&T (and get to retentions) and ask polietly for the Canada Roaming Bonus the seem to freely give it out.

If you have an unlimited calling/texting account (most of the Mobile ShareI believe?) they'll give you unlimited call/text in Canada and up to 1GB of data FOR FREE.  They've had this for months and there is talk about it in the forums here.  Canada Bonus is the same plan as Mexico but it's never been announced http://about.att.com/story/data_in_mexico_at_no_cost.html

You need to add it to each line.

If you have the unlimited directTV deal, starting tomorrow (May 20, 2016) you can have more than 1GB and use your data from you plan to excede 1GB (again FOR FREE!). That's the new AT&T Roam North America plan. http://about.att.com/story/new_roaming_benefits_to_mexico_and_canada.html

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I don't see the part about DirecTV customers getting this, but maybe the article got modified?

Not that it applies, I'm not in their service area anyway.

I've got my plan, which is great for now, and I see people still able to get this via retentions, after 5/20, according to Reddit, which is nice, but odd, if you ask me.

It sure looks like they're just going to offer this for >=15GB plans in general, but maybe it's another of those "trickle in" features?

The ATT business model is baffling to me; while I hated my rural coverage when I was briefly on TMo, at least I completely understood what international coverage was.

I could run speed checks at some locations when I was going to be working, without data penalty too, and my daughter could stream her music unlimited.  
I kinda' wonder if all of these are coming, the same way?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey I think the Unlimited plan can only be signed up for if you have DirectTV.

The second link in my post (just above yours) is for that plan, but also talks Mobile Share so it's confusing.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L  Hmm, I see the Unlimited plan reference, but I could sign up for it, without DirectTV, or at leas "my features" page says I can, and get unlimited North America Roaming.  

I'd lose tethering though, so that would pretty much be a waste, as I use about 90% of my data this way, when traveling.

Is there something I'm not seeing in the article?  I've read it a couple of times now (both of them), and I'm not seeing how it ties to DirectTV for the roaming?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

You sure if you select it, that it won't tell you to get DirectTV? Mine will...

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 5.08.30 PM.png

I think Unlimited Plan is the "same as" DirectTV (since you need it), but it would be confusing to say you can roam in Canada with DirectTV, you roam with the cellular plan (which is called Unlimited Plan).

@pgrey You can get roaming in Canada and Mexico with 15GB or greater or the unlimited plan.  The main difference is with 15GB MSV you only get 1GB for Canada, where with Unlimited it uses your data pool (unlimited).  

Mexico for 15GB or greater MSV uses your data for unlimited is uses your data (unlimited).

There is an older Mexico plan which doesn't use your data and has 1GB.

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@pgrey You can get roaming in Canada and Mexico with 15GB or greater or the unlimited plan.  The main difference is with 15GB MSV you only get 1GB for Canada, where with Unlimited it uses your data pool (unlimited).  

Mexico for 15GB or greater MSV uses your data for unlimited is uses your data (unlimited).

@Gary L@pgrey, People with MSV do not automatically get the Canada roaming. That still takes calling retention and whatever secret handshake. I've got a MSV plan and do not have the Canada bonus. Customers on the unlimited plan do automatically get the Canada bonus. 

The new Roam Mexico option which just uses your data plan data when in Mexico will now automatically be added to both new MSV customers with 15GB or higher and unlimited customers. Existing customers can either add the Roam Mexico option themselves or stay with the Mexico Roaming Bonus feature which is the old plan that provided 1GB of data separate from the main data plan. I still have the Mexico Roaming Bonus on my plan but I could swich to Roam Mexico at any time.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

@Gary L@pgrey, People with MSV do not automatically get the Canada roaming. That still takes calling retention and whatever secret handshake. I've got a MSV plan and do not have the Canada bonus.

I said can get and it's explained above to call retentions (in 3 different spots by 3 different people, including me and @pgrey).

There is no secret handshake, you call retentions and ask polietly and they add it on.  You don't need to complain or trick or anything.  I've never seen a post about anyone denied unless the rep didn't know what it was. 

They might stop having Canada Roaming Bonus free at some point, so don't wait, call now...

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

@Gary L@pgrey, People with MSV do not automatically get the Canada roaming. That still takes calling retention and whatever secret handshake. I've got a MSV plan and do not have the Canada bonus.

I said can get and it's explained above to call retentions (in 3 different spots by 3 different people, including me and @pgrey).

There is no secret handshake, you call retentions and ask polietly and they add it on.  You don't need to complain or trick or anything.  I've never seen a post about anyone denied unless the rep didn't know what it was. 

They might stop having Canada Roaming Bonus free at some point, so don't wait, call now...

This is the odd thing, at least from my perspective, why do you have to call retentions, and get the "right" agent, who's heard of the 1GB plan?
I get that we can all "theoretically" get the 1GB plan (and that we can shift our Mexico plan to use our regular data, if we so choose), but why not just make it a regular "feature", that a "regular" CS agent, or even a website user, can add?

This part is very puzzling to me.  On the one hand, they've expanded unlimited to where a user can simply select it, via website or CS agent, so it seems like they "get it" that their customers are leaving to get NA roaming, but if that's the case, why not just expand it to >15GB plans, and be done?

I wish (yeah, I know, this is inline with unicorns and such) that an ATT employee would clarify the details around the CA roaming, and plans that aren't unlimited...

The even stranger thing is, you can still purchase the 120,300, and 800mb plans for Canada, even IF you have a >=15GB plan.

When I was briefly with TMo, these were implicit, instead of being back-door-explicit.  I'm waiting for somene in the rags to do a write-up, that should be interesting...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

In October 2015 I called and visited local stores also I message through the website. They all explain me the Canadian add-on I was never told that I had to opt out. I did find AT&T pricing not to my advantage so I grabbed a Mobile prepaid T-Mobile SIMs card plugged it into the  phone it was already unlocked no problems work fine. Got my AT&T bill and it was $130 of data usage on a tablet that had a SIMs card and was in my briefcase turned on of course explain the scenario to AT&T took a month but they did reverse the charges everything good have a happy ending.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.