For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
cmeisenzahl's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 1:13 PM

Traveling to Canada with iPhone for a weekend? ...

Hey guys, we're pretty new to AT&T. In a couple months I plan to head from the U.S. to Toronto for a weekend. I've heard horror stories about people racking-up insane voice and data charges when traveling to Canada.

When I was with Sprint a few years ago we could add some kind of international plan add-on for something like $3.99 for a single month that completely covered us there.

Does AT&T offer anything similar? What are the options?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

crises with international infos of at & t , gophone contract meaning i payed 60 usd a month for basicly using data and phone between canada us and mexico unlimited, is there anybody who knows a prepaid plan  for canada mexico usa calling and internet , meaning paying every month and if i want i dont pay and this is not working but not using 3 month it will be canceled, it says plan of charge, but if i go into my phone checking credits etc it says 0 balance, very strange ¿ this was made 1. nov.2015 in l.a. - if it exist it should be online a info availible, otherwise this was not correctly  i guess. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

If you're wondering if your go phone is going to give you free voice and text in Mexico, that's correct,  providing that you have the $60 a month prepaid plan. You should be able to use your 4gig data south of the border as well . You Don't need to recharge... You have to set up auto recharge on line... 

Good luck!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

If your phone has a SIM card, you may be able to just purchase one with some time & data on it for a lot less than $30.

I have done this in Nepal (twice) for under $5 each time with NCell, allowing me over 60 minutes of calls to the US and never ran out of data. In Iceland for about $20 (with Vodaphone), I did something quite similar and never ran out over the 13 days I was there, tho' I used WiFi a lot, too.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

You can now get a free mini sim card once you're in Canada and get a pay as you go plan with Rogers.  Way cheaper.  I do this when I travel outside of the USA, get a local card and buy data and talk time.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Doesn't have to be Roger, there are several options but on the date of this post Rogers had the best deal and coverage.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@silverhooligan

Att customers on qualifying plans can add the free Canadian roaming bonus.  Talk and text are free and you have 1 GB of data.  You can easily add the same for Mexico, but the Canadian plan requires a call to ATT And ask for retentions.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

My question would be if you can actually use the data.  When we traveled to Canada last fall, we bought the $30 plan, but the data only worked in one place (near Sault Ste Marie -- it did not even work near Toronto). When I called the AT&T person, s/he said that the plan ony specified how much it would cost and did not provide access to using data. A waste of $30.

ACE - Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

8 years ago

All this AT&T Gophone roaming with Rogers Wireless in Canada should be working by now.

I tested it 3 weeks ago in Toronto & area with an Android phone and it working great.You need to turn on data roaming .
You also need to update your phone IMEI and Sim card info. with AT&T.

You may need a visit to any AT&T Crop. store before it can fully work.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

But this is only if you have the $60/month plan??? What happened with us the last two times we were in Canada was that we bought the international voice & data plan, and every time except once even if we had many bars of voice access, trying to use data produced nothing.  (Data worked once, near Sault Ste. Marie.  The rest of the time, even near Toronto, going to data quickly produced a reduction in bars and a "no service" message.)  I can't find anything on the AT&T website that gives me any clue about whether there's another option.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Wordsmith334

Yes, only the $60 plan has roaming in Mexico and Canada.  

here is the information. https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1179852

Passport plans are for postpaid accounts and do nothing for Gophone.  Your only option if you are on Gophone is to switch to $60 plan.

What is the point of adding a $30 plan that won't work, when you can upgrade to the $60 plan for $15?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.