Need help understanding your bill?
mychusa's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 2:04 AM

Transferring Grandfathered Data Plan to New Device

Hi,

I did not know about the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan to new device until I talked to my friends a few days ago.

Then I relalized that I used to have Unlimited Data Plan when I first signed up with AT&T. But when I upgraded to the new  phone, they did not tell me about the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan, and put me on a $15 for 200 MB a month.

I called their ATT customer service to ask for it back, but they said it has been too long to give it back to me.

They told me it is my responsibility to know about the feature. It is not their job to tell me about it.

How did I know about this feature, when ATT represetative always tells me that ATT never gives out unlimited plan to any one, and changed my grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan without letting me know that I had that feature at that time.

Did they advertise the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan anywhere on ATT website ?

I called ATT and they said I passed the 60 days timeframe for them to give me back the the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan feature. And sorry that nothing that they can do for me.

I am really upset with ATT and thinking about switching to another company when my contract is over.

Any advise ?

Thanks,

My

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mychusa wrote:

Hi,

I did not know about the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan to new device until I talked to my friends a few days ago.

Then I relalized that I used to have Unlimited Data Plan when I first signed up with AT&T. But when I upgraded to the new  phone, they did not tell me about the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan, and put me on a $15 for 200 MB a month.

I called their ATT customer service to ask for it back, but they said it has been too long to give it back to me.

They told me it is my responsibility to know about the feature. It is not their job to tell me about it.

How did I know about this feature, when ATT represetative always tells me that ATT never gives out unlimited plan to any one, and changed my grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan without letting me know that I had that feature at that time.

Did they advertise the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan anywhere on ATT website ?

I called ATT and they said I passed the 60 days timeframe for them to give me back the the grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan feature. And sorry that nothing that they can do for me.

I am really upset with ATT and thinking about switching to another company when my contract is over.

Any advise ?

Thanks,

My

the only other one of the top 3 carriers that have unlimited data is Sprint, you rcurrent device will not work on the carrier and their speeds are abysmal. The grandfathered unlimited plan that is still around on att is controlled, utilize over 3GB of data for 3G or 5GB on lte and the data speed is throttled to edge speeds until the end of the billing cycle.

The plan is discontinued and has not been advertised at all by ATT since it was removed as a data feature, prior to it being removed as a smartphone feature it was advertised but it did not have the word "grandfathered" on it, which basicly means discontinued.

If you are not running over your data plan and paying for overages then don't worry about it

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

@mychusa wrote:

Hi,

Any advise ?

Thanks,

My

the only other one of the top 3 carriers that have unlimited data is Sprint, you rcurrent device will not work on the carrier and their speeds are abysmal. The grandfathered unlimited plan that is still around on att is controlled, utilize over 3GB of data for 3G or 5GB on lte and the data speed is throttled to edge speeds until the end of the billing cycle.

The plan is discontinued and has not been advertised at all by ATT since it was removed as a data feature, prior to it being removed as a smartphone feature it was advertised but it did not have the word "grandfathered" on it, which basicly means discontinued.

If you are not running over your data plan and paying for overages then don't worry about it

The $15 200mb plan you are on was discontinued in January of 2012, so obviously it has been a quite a long time since you lost the unlimited plan. Perhaps you should look at it this way, if you've been on the 200mb plan this long and you haven't been going over the limit, not only do you not need the unlimited data plan but you are saving $15/month.

Just remember if you decide to stay and upgrade to a new phone, you can keep the $15 200mb plan even though it is no longer offered.

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

11 years ago

Hi mychusa,

What kind of phone did you have when you had unlimited data? Was it a smartphone? Like sandblaster said, if you had a smartphone plan which was $30 for unlimited, you're saving $15 per month. If it's the same price as before, your previous phone wasn't a smartphone, and non-smartphone unlimited data plan is still available, but it woudn't be grandfathered when switching to a smartphone.

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

My son had to replace his Galaxy 3 after it was damaged by rain, and was sent a Galaxy 4. They cancelled his grandfathered unlimited data plan. He has spoken to supervisors who are sympathetic but insist they cannot change anything. What is the next step? My understanding is that you have to act promptly to get a resolution. This had happened previously and he was able to get it resolved, but this time they are not budging. 

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

10 years ago

thats crazy that they just changed the data plans for you. i had unlimited data for my smartphones and every time i upgraded to another phone, my unlimited data was still there. the reps never changed my plan or anything unless i wanted them to. i also paid attention to my bill and the changes that were made. 

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello @dfmcmahon1 

Was it a warranty replacement or some sort of upgrade? Simply replacing a phone doesn't change the data plan. Was his entire plan changed in any way? Our team can definitely look into this issue for you! Since it's account specific, please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.