Need help understanding your bill?
ToasterLTE's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, May 27th, 2015 2:48 AM

Transfering Data Plans in an Account

I started an AT&T account way back in 2009, I got two iPhones with unlimited data plans (perk of my current job), one for me and one for my wife. After two contract renewals, I upgraded my phones and added two more lines for my sons. I got one a 5gb data plan and the other a 3gb data plan, but now I see they both use a lot more data individually than me and my wife combined. Is there a way to transfer data plans in an already existing account? I renewed my contract last month, and I'm not sure if that won't let me. I looked this up, but the best I could come up with is transfering phone numbers in an account (on Verizon, not AT&T) and trasferring data plans across iPads (AT&T). Anything related will be helpful, though any AT&T employees' responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@ToasterLTE wrote:

My iPhone 6 has the unlimited data plan, and my son has an HTC One M9 (5gb plan). Can I switch phones and numbers with my son? So, I replace my iPhone with an HTC, and we switch our numbers with each other. Then, I'll have an htc with his number and him an iphone with mine. We could then just give each other the phone, so we both have what we want. Kind of a longshot, but I know Verizon does that (talked with my neighbor who has Verizon).

If both phones use the same SIM card formats, you could just switch SIMs between your phone & his.  Since one is Android and one is iOS, you may need to call customer support to let them know that you switched phones if some of the data serives don't work propelry (most likely Visual Voice Mail, and a couple other data features).  I remember when my wife moved the SIM card from her old Blackberry into my previous iPhone she had to call *611 to get her data service fully functional.  Some people have fairly good luck moving SIMs between phones, and others mave some minor issues, but they call all be resolved by a simple call to *611 from teh phone having problems.

If you choose to do this, you would probably want to remember to completly sign out of iMessage, and FaceTime on your iPhone before you swap SIM cards, just to be safe.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

As fas as I know, the unlimited data plans cannot be transferred between phones.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

The only way to move the unlimited data plans to other phones is to move the phone numbers along with them.  The (grandfathered) data plan is restricted to the phoen line which it is currently attached to.  If you attempt to move those phone lines to any other account, you will lose the unlimited data plans entirely.

If you really want to give the unlimited data plans to the other two phones on your account, you would need to give them the phone numbers too, which would be the same as just swapping phones with those people.  They get your current number & data plan and you get theirs.  Attempting anything else is likely to end in the unlimited data plan being lost in the translation.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

My iPhone 6 has the unlimited data plan, and my son has an HTC One M9 (5gb plan). Can I switch phones and numbers with my son? So, I replace my iPhone with an HTC, and we switch our numbers with each other. Then, I'll have an htc with his number and him an iphone with mine. We could then just give each other the phone, so we both have what we want. Kind of a longshot, but I know Verizon does that (talked with my neighbor who has Verizon).

Whoops, didn't see the second reply because page didn't reload until after posting. How would I be able to switch the number and phone, I've been swimming through at&t's support pages and didn't really find anything.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks so much! Appreciate the help, I'll probably get this done tomarrow or in a few days. If I have any more questions, I'll add onto here.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.