Need help understanding your bill?
Pagan_Guy's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, June 11th, 2015 1:01 PM

Switching phones from BlackBerry to Android

I'm on an AT&T plan that was grandfathered in from the Alltel acquisition. The plan is listed as FAMMYCIR15NATFRDM900 and I have FREE unlimited data on one line, none on another line.

I received a FREE BlackBerry Curve that I would like to replace with an Android phone (preferrably Samsung Falaxy Note 3) that I would buy used.

BestBuy says no problem switching from BB to Android without a plan change. Local used dealers caution against it.

Obviously I don't want to shell out $300 - $400 on a phone, lose my free data plan, and have to switch carriers.

Interested in your experiences . . .

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there! @Pagan_Guy thanks for posting your question.

We would have to change it to a billed data plan since Blackberry data plans are different from all others. Alltel plans are not going to be available to add on the AT&T network as a new plan.  

We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Charise

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

look at it this way.  You say you have a line with no data?  does it have a smart phone on it?  The problem your going to have is they need to change you from a bb data plan to android data plan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Wife's line has no data plan and no smart phone - but she does use data somehow on a Data Pay Per Use basis. She was able to upgrade her phone while not affecting our overall plan.

My BB line shows: BLKBRY UNLD DOM

My concern is as you say, that going from BB to Android will change the plan because of the way the servers are configured; similar to switching an iPhone data plan from or to Android.

If I remember correctly we changed which phone was primary in order to upgrade wife's phone without changing the plan.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Good to know. Looks like I'll be shopping for a provider as well as a phone. I love the features of my BB phone and Playbook but I'm ready to move on to Android because of the apps. I wonder if my BB and Playbook will still get wi-fi internet once I cut the cord?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.